Become Part of Our Team
As an industry leader Balfour Beatty offers employees a comprehensive benefits package that includes competitive salaries, comprehensive medical, dental and vision benefits, paid time off, education assistance and much more including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance
- Health Savings Account
- 401(k) with company match
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Dependent Care & Medical Reimbursement Care)
- Vacation Time
- Sick Time
Posted 3-17-21: Balfour Beatty, currently undertaking the $1B+ Caltrain Electrification Project in San Mateo, CA is seeking a Project HR Manager to join the team. Estimated completion of the project is set for 2024. The project consists of electrifying a Caltrain 56-mile corridor, from San Francisco to San Jose; with construction of overhead catenary systems, substations, track and rolling stock.
The Project HR Manager will oversee and administer various plans and procedures related to human resources, for all project personnel.
- Oversee process and procedures for all project HR transactional processes, forward accurate and timely documents to Corporate HR.
- Focal point for receiving any Employee Relations concern/complaint, responsible for investigating all ER issues, and communicating issues with Corporate HR (elevating all Discrimination and Harassment complaints immediately). Responsible for creating Corrective Coaching Forms (written warning), participating in the delivery with direct supervisor of disciplinary discussion., providing all details of situation, and assist with potential solution to be presented to Project Director for resolution.
- Directly supervise HR Administrator, directing activities and responsibilities, including onboarding, following all requirements for New-Hires to be entered into Payroll system.
- Plans, organizes, and supervises all HR-related activities at the project site.
- Oversees recruiting process for both Staff (Exempt and Non-Exempt), any Temporary Employees, and Craft Onboarding process, including all required documentation.
- Partners with internal Corporate Recruiter, to ensure that Recruiting process is followed, and Outside Recruiter candidates are only considered within specified timeframe. Responsible to ensure Standard Agreement, or signed arrangement, is in place, prior to reviewing any outside/represented candidates for hire.
- Participates in reviewing, possibly modifying job descriptions as needed; monitors performance evaluation program and ensures completion of the program for supervisors.
- Assist Corporate HR with implementing personnel policies and procedures; maintains handbook on policies and procedures; performs benefits administration to include claims resolution, change reporting, approving invoices for payment, information requests, and participate in all ER issues.
- Maintains EEO regulations and acts as local EEO Officer.
- Responsible for documenting all terminations (voluntary and involuntary), notifying Corporate HR, Payroll, Benefits, IT, to ensure proper and timely payment and documentation of departing employee.
- Assist with any/all Compliance Training for all project personnel.
- Assist Safety as Back-Up for COVID Representative (Illness Doc. Form), and completion of Random Drug-Testing.
- Participate in administrative staff meetings and attends other meetings, such as seminars.
- Recommends new approaches, policies, and procedures to effect continual improvements in efficiency of department and services performed.
- Performs other incidental and related duties as required and assigned.
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent knowledge of HR ‘Generalist’ duties, including ensuring policy and procedure compliance, recruiting, retention, employee relations, payroll timekeeping requirements
- Excellent Knowledge of Federal and State laws, specifically California labor laws, and including knowledge of Unions, and Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Bi-Lingual Skills -Spanish – Speak, Read and Write highly preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of professional HR experience, with minimum 3 years in top HR/managerial role (including supervision) for location.
- Previous experience working with Union personnel required.
- Bachelor’s Degree (preferably HR or Business Management) required.
- Professional Human Resources (PHR) certification required.
- Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) certification preferred.
Balfour Beatty US is an industry-leading provider of general contracting, at-risk construction management and design-build services for public and private sector clients across the nation. Performing heavy civil and vertical construction, our teams build the unique structures and infrastructure that play an important role in how people live, work, learn and play in our communities. Our teammates have an instinctive passion for innovating that is fueled by a relentless curiosity, a drive to employ lean practices and processes and the determination to find a better way. Through Zero Harm®, we are challenging the construction industry’s assumptions about safety. We believe that no level of harm should come to anyone as a result of our business.
Consistently ranked among the nation’s largest building contractors, by Engineering News-Record, our US business is a subsidiary of London-based Balfour Beatty plc (LSE: BBY).
Balfour Beatty is an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the value of a diverse workforce. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other criteria protected by federal, state or local law.