General Summary Description
The Purchasing Manager will assist in the management of all aspects of the Purchasing Department as well as manage multiple tasks and priorities on a day-to-day basis, control and reduce overall costs and react to the needs of a fast-paced field operation.
These are intended only as illustration of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- Procure and qualify potential subcontractors and suppliers
- Manage competitive bid process among qualified subcontractors and suppliers
- Administer scope of work agreements, purchase orders, invoices, change orders and VPO’s for subcontractors and suppliers
- Monitor actual construction costs vs. budget and purchase order amounts
- Administer the sales, purchasing and construction information software systems
- Review plans, estimates and take-offs for reasonableness and accuracy
- Close coordination with design, architecture, construction management and accounting departments to control and reduce home construction costs
- Field visits to meet with subcontractors and suppliers and construction team to ensure the performance of subcontractors and materials selected
Minimum Requirements, Abilities and Expectations
- A minimum of 3 years purchasing and/or estimating experience
- A minimum of 1 year management experience within purchasing, sales or a construction related company
- Have a full understanding of the elements of effective negotiating, including win-win negotiations
- A comprehensive knowledge of all construction related activities involved with the construction of a home
- Ability to read and understand all house plans, engineering, specifications and geological reports
- Proficient in computer applications
- Knowledge of estimating systems
Interpersonal Skills: Ability to effectively work and communicate with a wide array of personalities, educational levels and backgrounds, both inside and outside the company.
Integrity & Trust: Is widely trusted; is seen as a direct, truthful individual; can present the unvarnished truth in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; doesn’t misrepresent him/herself for personal gain.
TQM/Re-Engineering: Is dedicated to providing the highest quality products and services which meet the needs and requirements of internal and external customers; is committed to continuous improvement through empowerment and management by data; is willing to re-engineer processes from scratch; is open to suggestions and experimentation; creates a learning environment leading to the most efficient and effective work processes.
Strategic Agility: Sees ahead clearly; can anticipate future consequences and trends accurately; has broad knowledge and perspective; is future oriented; can articulately paint credible pictures and visions of possibilities and likelihoods; can create competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans.
Initiative: Identifies areas of needed improvement and pursues everything with energy, drive, and a need to finish; seldom gives up before finishing, especially in the face of resistance or setbacks.
Intellectual Horsepower: Is bright and intelligent; deals with concepts and complexity comfortably; described as intellectually sharp, capable, and agile.
Priority Setting: Spends his/her time and the time of others on what’s important; quickly zeros in on the critical few and puts the trivial many aside; can quickly sense what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal; eliminates roadblocks; creates focus.
Written Communication: Is able to write clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles; can get messages across that have the desired effect.
Equal Opportunity Employer – minority/female/disability/veteran