The Ruhlin Company is seeking to hire a Field Operations Manager. This position reports to the President/COO.
Position Summary: Manage all required field personnel and equipment resources to successfully execute projects as well as providing day-to-day leadership and guidance to Superintendents and Foremen company-wide regarding field staffing and equipment usage and scheduling. Work in conjunction with Project Managers and Division Managers to coordinate these resources.
- All projects in all operating divisions have the necessary resources to be completed on time, under budget and at a profit for the Company.
- Safety, EEO and quality goals are achieved.
- Visits to jobs sites are made on a regular basis.
- Timely resolution of resource conflicts between projects and union contract labor disputes.
- Clients are satisfied with project results.
- Prompt and continuous communication of needs and concerns to Project Managers and Division Managers.
- Maximize Company equipment usage and availability.
- Respond promptly to project needs and issues when they arise, including weekends, evenings, and other non-working times.
- Work with the Safety Director to ensure jobs have safe working conditions and that safe work practices are followed.
- Assist project management in meeting or exceeding established safety goals.
- Monitor and ensure quality control.
- Ensure staffing and equipment are provided in a timely manner to support the project schedule.
- Work with the Project Managers and Division Managers to obtain the personnel resources required to properly staff the project.
- Assist Superintendents with problem or conflict resolution related to staffing or equipment.
- Participate in project coordination meetings.
- Document best practices to share with other projects.
- Protect and promote the interests of the Company.
- Review estimates/bids for staffing, equipment, and labor productions.
Position Responsibilities (Operations)
- Ensure field employees have the equipment, construction materials and manpower to effectively perform their work.
- Set standards for work performance of field employees and ensure those standards are met.
- Review manpower projections and carry out recruitment activities as needed to ensure staffing requirements are met on projects.
- Utilize qualified minority and female employees on projects to meet or exceed established utilization goals.
- Support the achievement of EEO goals; hold Superintendents accountable for hiring practices.
- Foster team camaraderie.
- Mentor Superintendents and Foremen and assure each person understands their role on the project.
- Review/approve all field trades hiring, terminations and layoffs.
Equipment Usage and Scheduling
- Direct Equipment Manager, shop, and yard to allocate equipment and material resources and to resolve issues over usage (excludes equipment purchases and disposal).
- Monitor HCSS 360 usage and maintenance.
- Ensure performance evaluations are completed by and for field staff in a timely and thorough manner.
- Attend all union pre-job conferences.
- Provide advice and mentorship to field employees regarding advancement opportunities and career development, work with the Safety and Human Resources departments.
- Champion staff skill development through training and performance evaluations.
- Monitor project cost and schedule reports; recommend corrective actions as recognized.
- Communicate and reinforce the Company vision, values, and goals to operating division’s staff.
- Perform additional assignments per supervisor’s direction.
- Ensure adherence to safety, labor relations, and EEO regulations.
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Construction Management, Business Administration, or related field.
- 7 - 10 years of managerial and supervisory experience in the construction industry.
- Extensive knowledge of construction methods and materials, costing, scheduling, and estimating.
- Previous experience directing craft labor in capacity of Superintendent and/or Project Manager.
- Demonstrated ability to lead people and get results through others.
- Ability to think ahead and plan over an extended period.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities.
- Problem analysis and problem resolution at both a strategic and functional level.
- Strong customer orientation.
- Good computer skills including the use of HCSS 360 and Heavy Job, Vista by Viewpoint, scheduling, Microsoft Office Suite.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of the Company’s signatory labor agreements.
- Ability to negotiate labor issues.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong team player.
- Commitment to company values.
Reporting to this position:
- Project Management: Superintendent, Project Engineer, Field Administrative Assistant, Foremen (personnel placement and job function of these positions).
- Operations: Equipment Division Manager (resources placement and staffing).
About The Ruhlin Company
The Ruhlin Company was founded on a corporate philosophy of partnership. Since 1915, we have created cooperative relationships with our clients by listening closely to their needs and successfully translating their visions into reality. Client satisfaction is the bedrock of our reputation, earned through innovative construction technology, experienced leadership and an unswerving commitment to quality. Today Ruhlin enjoys a national reputation as a construction services leader. From bridges to buildings, client success is built in.
Ruhlin offers an array of comprehensive services from General Contracting and Construction Management to Design-Build. Our diverse team of talented project managers and construction experts offers decades of experience providing successful projects that meet or exceed our clients' expectations.
Our experience includes facilities for education, healthcare, parking decks, historical renovation, industrial, governmental and municipal buildings, energy conservation and alternative energy generation, structural erection, heavy civil projects, bridges, dams, highways and transportation infrastructure.
As construction methods evolve, so does The Ruhlin Company. Our in-house professionals are well versed in Sustainable Construction as well as USGBC LEED Design and Construction requirements. Ruhlin currently has several LEED Accredited Professionals (AP) on staff and is committed to accreditation of all of our project staff in the LEED process. We are dedicated to improving our sustainable construction processes while Conserving, Protecting and Constructing Sustainable facilities.
The Ruhlin Company was established over 100 years ago and has become one of Ohio’s most recognized General Contractors, Construction Managers and Design-Builder firms.
The Ruhlin Company offers a comprehensive benefits package to eligible employees which includes: Employee Stock Ownership Program (ESOP), 401k with employer match, Bonus, Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Long Term Disability coverage, paid vacation and sick days.
The Ruhlin Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in Ohio's Drug Free Safety Program