HEI Civil is a full-service civil construction company. We offer a full range of construction services,
including heavy civil highway construction, commercial, residential, oil field, site development,
dams and reservoirs, parks, and golf courses.
We are seeking a highly motivated General Superintendent with experience in civil construction
to join our team.
The General Superintendent will work under the direction of the Field Operations Manager and
will be responsible for all phases of construction projects from pre-construction planning to
completion. The General Superintendent recruits, selects, and approves employees for the job
sites. Responsible for daily and/or weekly inspections of job sites. Furthermore, the General
Superintendent identifies and schedules labor and equipment needs for each job site. Works
closely with Field Supervisors to ensure the job site specifications are being followed, to
guarantee work is done on schedule and within budget, and to keep track of cost and quantity of
Key Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Monitor safety compliance.
• Ensure that all tasks are done in a safe and efficient manner.
• Assist Field Supervisors with any safety question or situation.
• Deliver all safety letters and disciplinary actions to employees.
Planning and Project Execution
• Review Field Supervisor planning items daily and project documentation every
• Work with Field Supervisor to identify and schedule required labor, materials,
equipment, and subcontractors needed to perform the tasks.
• Assist with projections.
• Buy in with BID or identify concerns – take pride beating budget.
• Understand the contract and job specifications.
• Knowledge of the contract details and requirements, and how the company get
• Understand and participate in monthly WIP meetings.
Management of Site
• Schedule labor and equipment for every project and Field Supervisor – Prioritize
• Make decisions on what is needed versus what is wanted at each job site.
• Enforce the correct way of building.
• Track costs weekly.
• Review Heavy Job for accuracy.
• Review gain and loses on major phase codes.
• Ensure Office personnel and Project Managers are getting the right in
information on time.
• Manage Client with professionalism, courtesy, and respect.
• Attend meetings with the client when necessary.
• Communicate with General Contractor and HEI personnel daily.
• Reach out to General Contractor when we cannot accommodate their schedule, or when
safety or quality issues arise.
• Act like every dollar is coming out of your pocket – Treat the company like it is yours
• Work with each Field Supervisor in the following items:
▪ Meet with Project Manager every week.
▪ Update as-built weekly, including GPS shots on plans.
▪ Procure test reports, I.E. compaction, clear water, etc.
▪ Procure survey cut sheets.
▪ Procure inspection sign-offs.
▪ Complete closeout checklists.
▪ Accident/Incident reporting – Safety compliance – Locates, toolbox talks, trench
▪ All invoice and paperwork to be turned in not later than E.O.D. Monday.
▪ Verify quantities with General Contractor and subcontractors daily as they
sign our form.
• Interview and approve new hires.
• Ensure we have the right number of employees.
• Train and develop current employees; identify future leadership.
• Ensure all training and safety rules have been covered before the employee starts
• Ensure that the disciplinary process is being followed when necessary.
• Take pride in meeting all deadlines and schedules:
▪ Return phone calls and emails.
▪ Project schedules.
• Be realistic; do not take on so much responsibility that it leads to failure.
• Ask for help; we succeed and fail together.
• High school diploma/GED required
• Bachelor’s degree in business, construction management or engineering is highly preferred
• Minimum of 5 years experience in the heavy civil construction industry
• Understanding of construction principles and procedures
• Knowledge of all OSHA and safety requirements
• Ability to travel extensively within the State of Colorado
• Strong leadership skills
• Excellent communication skills
• Bilingual in English and Spanish is highly preferred
• Excellent organization and planning skills
• Valid Driver’s license
• Comfortable working in a high-stress environment with extreme weather fluctuations
Job Type: Full-time, Exempt
Salary: $105,000 to $125,000, Based on Experience
Benefits: Health Insurance, Paid Time Off, 401k