The Clay County Treasurer’s office is looking for a Full-time Deputy Treasurer. The Deputy Treasurer assists the Treasurer in the fiscal and investment operations of Clay County, South Dakota funds and provides excellent customers service to the public in person, by mail or over the phone.
What you'll get to do:
- Balance out cash register, prepare daily balance sheet, invoice all motor vehicle transactions, run report for all taxes collected, prepare bank deposit after balancing all receipts.
- Process all correspondence including mailing license plates &/or decals; processing tax payments and sending receipts; responding to questions regarding real property taxes, special assessments, motor vehicle registration, game hunting requirements or other issues related to the Treasurer’s office
- Assist the public at the counter and over the telephone with items related to the Treasurer’s office such as renewing vehicle registration; transferring title ownership; selling hunting & fishing licenses; collecting real property tax, mobile home taxes and special assessments (current and delinquent)
- Collect and process receipts for moneys due the county
- Preparing daily reports to be sent to the State regarding motor vehicle transactions.
- Provide information as appropriate pertaining to real property and mobile homes such as all taxes due and delinquent, taxable valuation, tax sale certificate and tax deed information
- All filing and recording required by performing the above duties.
- Assist in preparing monthly reports as required such as motor vehicle report for DMV; game report for SD Dept. of Game, Fish and Parks; various budget and bookkeeping reports for the Auditor’s office
- Set computer up for processing new month’s tax transactions.
- Assist in balancing various financial accounts such as checking accounts; Treasurer’s Trust; daily balance book.
- Assist eligible elderly and disabled on various items including freezing on assessed value of dwelling application and refunding sales and property tax.
- Assist with processing taxes for county including sending notices, preparing lists and notifying delinquent accounts
- And more!
What you need to be eligible:
- High school / GED or a combination of education, training and experience required. Post-secondary education in related field preferred.
- One to two years related experience and/or training OR equivalent combination of education experience preferred, but we will train the right person
- Clay County resident preferred
- Must have computer skills and ability to use Microsoft Office products and other technology as needed
- Knowledge of general accounting principals
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to tactfully communicate with others, either orally or in writing
- Knowledge of general office methods and procedures
- Knowledge and ability to operate required office equipment
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive professional relationships with other employees, agencies of government, and the general public.
- Demonstrated organizational skills.
What we offer:
- This position pays $15.61/hour.
- Comprehensive benefit package including health, dental and vision insurance, SD Supplemental Retirement insurance, and paid time off (vacation, sick and holiday)
This is not a comprehensive list of duties. For a more complete list of job duties, responsibilities, skills, physical requirements and working conditions, refer to the job description.
Applications accepted until the position is filled.
Clay County, South Dakota is an Equal Opportunity Employer