Hawkeye Area Community Action Program, Inc. (HACAP) is a diverse, community-focused nonprofit dedicated to empowering and improving the lives of families living with the everyday barriers of poverty.
What we are proud to offer you:
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Retirement Savings (IPERS and/or 403(b))
- Paid time off and 9 company paid holidays
- Short Term Disability after 1 year of employment
- Basic Life and AD&D coverage
- Employee Assistance Program
- Optional benefits: Flexible Spending, Long Term Disability, Voluntary Life and Voluntary Accident
To promote HACAP’s Support Services for Veteran Families Program (SSVF) within the community and conduct intake screenings with homeless and housing insecure veterans in the assigned area. This position will work with other community partners in identifying homeless veterans, referring them to eligible services, and working in the community to end veteran homelessness. Position will be based in Dubuque County or Black Hawk County and responsible for outreach in Jackson, Delaware, Dubuque, Black Hawk, and Buchanan Counties.
Wage and Schedule
Monday-Friday 8:00 am- 5:00 pm; Non-traditional hours may be expected. $22.36 per hour.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct outreach for homeless and housing insecure veterans in places where the most vulnerable in the community may congregate.
- Follow stated outreach policies and procedures as defined by the VA and HACAP.
- Refer screened but not enrolled applicants to other local community resources for services.
- Explain program expectations and eligibility requirements to applicants.
- Work with interested veterans on helping them obtain needed eligibility documentation.
- Use a Housing First approach with veterans to engage them in the program.
- Represent HACAP and the program at outside community events and in a proper manner
- Submit outreach activities and applications for program to the SSVF Compliance Coordinator
- Attend staff and case conferencing meetings within the program and with other community partners as deemed appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned by management staff.
- Support the organizations and the programs mission, vision, values, policy, and procedures by exhibiting the following behaviors: excellence and competence, collaboration, innovation, respect, personalization, commitment to our community, and accountability and ownership.
- Consistently work in a positive and cooperative manner with fellow Team Members
- Consistently demonstrate the ability to respond to changing situations in a flexible manner in order to meet current needs, such as reprioritizing work as necessary
- Consistently come to work on time, working as scheduled, and leaving at the scheduled time
- Maintain appropriate attire and good grooming habits to support HACAP’s desire for safe and efficient operations, providing greater service and better customer relations.
- Ensure confidentiality of any information concerning an employee, client, family, financial condition or personal peculiarities is strictly maintained
- Ensure that personal health information is protected during its collection, use, disclosure, storage and destruction within HACAP as required by HIPAA.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
TARGETED EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor degree in social service field of study.
Five years related experience and/or training.
Equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
Service in the military preferred.
Willingness to drive and conduct intakes in a large services area (5 Eastern Iowa Counties).
Skills and/or Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively (oral and written)
- Have experience working with individuals with high barriers
- Knowledge of Housing First practices
- Familiarization with the mental health, VA, and homeless systems in the community.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Valid driver’s license
- Valid car insurance
- Reliable transportation for on-the-job use.