For more than 100 years, the Jamar Company has built a reputation as an expert specialty contractor. We have a history of proven success in solving difficult challenges for our service, industrial and commercial customers. We’re headquartered in Duluth, MN with offices in the twin cities metro area, Green Bay, Eau Claire and Spooner, WI, Bismarck and Watford City, ND, Windsor, CO and Mountain View, WY. The Jamar Company also includes ASDCO Construction Supply, Arrowhead Refrigeration, Industrial Contractors, Inc., Bartingale Mechanical and CMS Mechanical Services.
We are seeking qualified candidates for a Service Tech/Field Leader position. This is an hourly, union position that will provide skilled services for all new and existing mechanical and plumbing systems and coordinate manpower related to service and preventive maintenance work. The ideal candidate will perform site maintenance and annual site inspections and serve as the contact/leader for the field staff, providing direction and coordination with the office Service team. This role will be responsible to represent the company on customer locations/sites for service work in the regional area.
- Two-year HVAC technical school degree, ten years associated experience.
- Working knowledge of mechanical and plumbing equipment and techniques, drawings and specifications, and required standards applicable to discipline.
- Ability to assume responsibility within the scope of the role.
- Flexibility to work varying shifts; weekends, holidays and emergency on-call as needed.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to effectively represent the company in an ethical and professional manner and consistent with our values and mission.
- Valid State Driver’s license, and able to travel to customer locations.
- Ability to learn and use a service software platform.
Certification, License, Registration:
- CFC/EPA Universal Certification
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ensure technicians follow and comply with standard operating procedures and service processes; provide technical expertise as needed and assist with/discuss manpower needs as required.
- Become expert of the service platform – embrace, train and enforce policies and procedures.
- Serve as point of contact for night/weekend on-call scheduling/technical issues.
- Work with Local Unions to procure qualified technicians.
- Install, maintain, troubleshoot and repair mechanical and plumbing systems for both commercial and industrial customers.
- Diagnose and repair of electronic, mechanical, plumbing and electrical components of systems.
- Interpret work orders and perform work requested with limited direction. Enter and close work orders via the Service software platform.
- Operate a variety of tools and machines incidental to operations.
- Requisition of repair parts and equipment.
- Perform all work in accordance with established safety procedures. Comply with Company policy and standards.
- Perform additional assignments and responsibilities as assumed or requested.
- Always adhere to all safety and vehicle related policies.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work independently, strong work ethic and time management skills.
- Ability to lead, train and collaborate with field staff.
- Attention to detail on systems operations under contract with customers.
- In depth knowledge of various mechanical fundamentals.
- Ability to work from specifications or verbal instructions and to use a variety of hand/power tools.
- Strong communication and organizational skills, initiative and self-discipline.
- Ability to collaborate and work in a team setting.
Physical Demands / Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position requires travel project location across the Midwest region of the United States. Most travel is planned based on project schedule, although may require short notice to travel to job sites.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Walking includes moving within a project site, including uneven surface/ground.
- The employee is regularly required to drive a vehicle, sitting for periods of time throughout the day.
- Frequent pushing/pulling using both hands/arms while moving equipment, materials, etc., exerting up to 50 pounds of force.
- Frequent climbing/balancing on stairs, ladders, scaffolding while performing repairs at heights.
- Constant bending/twisting at waist/knees/neck while performing job duties.
- Occasional kneeling/crouching while performing duties at or near ground level; occasional working in confined spaces.
- Constant use of both hands/arms in reaching/handling/grasping/fingering/squeezing while using tools and equipment, overhead reaching required.
- Constant use of sight abilities in performing duties and in maintaining a safe work environment, visual requirements include color vision, depth perception, hand/eye/foot coordination and visual acuity in near and midrange vision.
- Constant use of speech/hearing abilities in communicating with customers, coworkers, and supervisors.
- The environmental conditions for this position include climate controlled indoor activity to inclement outdoor extremes of cold, heat, dust, wind and various forms of precipitation. Exposure to a variety of noise and equipment vibration.
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in plant environment. PPE required when in the plant, yard or construction areas include:
- Hard Hat
- Safety Glasses / Goggles
- Steel-toed Boots
- High Visibility Vest
- Hearing Protection (designated areas)
- Personal Fall Arrest Harness