OBJECTIVE: Provide in-depth coverage and communications of issues impacting the production of soybeans with an emphasis on the work and results of ISA’s Research Center for Farming Innovation.
- Assist in the development and implementation of a comprehensive research communications plan to elevate awareness and farmer engagement in the Iowa Soybean Association’s (ISA) Research Center for Farming Innovation (RCFI).
- Provide in-depth coverage of ISA’s programs and activities with a focus on the work of the RCFI including topics centric to agronomic research, soybean production, soil and water health and research analytics.
- Generate timely stories, infographics, farmer testimonials and in-depth discoveries of on-farm trials and outcomes for ISA’s communication channels, including for publication in the Iowa Soybean Review.
- Serve as editor of the RCFI Field Report (published in February).
- Collaborate with RCFI and develop promotions and outreach to growers to encourage greater farmer participation in ISA research activities. This includes webinars, printed materials, field events and special publications.
- Maintain timely and accurate progress schedule of all assignments and deliverables as included in research contracts and proposals involving communications and farmer outreach activities.
- Assist the communications & editorial director, public relations manager and Iowa Soybean Review editor in the development and execution of ISA’s editorial calendar.
- Develop infographics and content contributions for ISA social media.
- Network closely with ISA public relations manager to maintain timely and accurate content for ISA message mapping pertaining to the ISA Research Team.
- Provide copy editing and proofing of communications centric to the RCFI and ISA research partners.
- Strengthen association’s relationship with Iowa State University faculty and Extension staff by providing timely coverage of agronomic research, plant science, weed management and other soybean-focused activity.
- Participate and provide update reports at weekly I&E team meetings and Friday Memo.
- Acquiring information
- Active listening
- Creating and maintaining networks
- Communicating effectively
- Accepting direction
- Composing and writing text
- Strong writing and communications skills
- Adapting quickly to change
- Ability to manage projects on deadline
- Working under deadline
- Assessing and understanding people
- Building and supporting teams
- Strong understanding of the needs of customers and farmers
- This position has no supervisory responsibility
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or related field.
- 2-3 years proven experience in journalism and communications; ag reporting preferred.
- Medical, Dental and Vision insurance
- Flexible Spending Account available
- Cellphone and Wellness reimbursement
- 401(k) with generous company match
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Dress for your Day Dress Code