Reading Partners VISTA National Operations Coordinator - Marketing & Communications (2022-23)
Reading Partners is a national literacy nonprofit that engages community volunteers and AmeriCorps service members to support elementary-aged students on their path toward reading proficiency. Our dedicated volunteers come from diverse backgrounds and life experiences and provide bi-weekly one-on-one tutoring to students, either in person or through our new online tutoring system. Our traditional, in-person program is proven to help children master the reading fundamentals necessary to become confident learners across all subjects. In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Reading Partners urgently evolved program delivery to ensure students continue to receive the critical literacy tutoring in any learning environment. Our people are the heart and soul of our organization; we are all passionately engaged in a common mission to help all children become confident, lifelong learners. Reading Partners is also committed to building a culturally competent and representative team to advance social justice through our service in schools and communities. In joining Reading Partners, you'll be part of a stellar team leading the charge to pursue equity in education and expand a research-validated literacy program that works. Join Reading Partners and leave a legacy in schools and communities that will last long beyond an unforgettable and life-changing term of service. Learn more about us at readingpartners.org.
AmeriCorps/VISTA engages more than 80,000 Americans in intensive service each year at nonprofits, schools, public agencies, and community and faith-based groups across the country. Since the program’s founding in 1994, over 1 million AmeriCorps members have contributed more than 1.4 billion hours in service across America while tackling pressing problems and mobilizing more than 2.3 million volunteers for the organizations they serve.
At Reading Partners we have the opportunity to mobilize 350 AmeriCorps members to serve in various positions across the country. This AmeriCorps service opportunity is supporting and implementing the Reading Partners mission while at the same time exemplifying the AmeriCorps motto of “getting things done.” Reading Partners strives to recruit AmeriCorps members dedicated to a year of service in the community. Read on for more details about our service opportunities!
The VISTA Operations Coordinator - Marketing & Communications is a key player in achieving Reading Partners’ ambitious strategic vision and goals. This is an exciting opportunity to build capacity within the Reading Partners’ national marketing and communications department, allowing the organization implement national marketing initiatives and to better support brand awareness through social media. Reading Partners VISTA offers an amazing chance to give back through capacity-building roles – as a VISTA, you’ll receive benefits, a great place to serve, and the opportunity to springboard a glowing and growing career. Our top VISTA Operations Coordinators are ambassadors for service, demonstrate a passion for relationship and systems development, and strongly believe in our vision and values.
What you’ll do & how you’ll do it:
Marketing and Communications - Develop marketing and public relations material to support Reading Partners’ brand-building, heighten awareness of Reading Partners’ volunteer opportunities, and create other social media collateral.
- The VISTA Operations Coordinator will gather collateral, templates, and other resources for marketing and public relations usage, and determine best practices for engaging different groups of stakeholders. Additionally, the VISTA Operations Coordinator will collaborate across departments to create and curate new content for the Reading Partners’ website, blog, and social media sites. With the gathered collateral, the VISTA Operations Coordinator will create project plans to establish a strong presence on national social networking sites, support regional teams through collateral creation, and support other organizational communications.
Systems and Resource Development - Create, manage, and improve systems for tracking marketing and public relations materials’ usage and effectiveness.
- Streamlining and improving available systems is a huge responsibility for the VISTA Operations Coordinator. By becoming familiar with existing tracking systems and reporting options, the VISTA Operations Coordinator will identify opportunities for improvement, implement best practices for usage of marketing materials, and document social media/marketing metrics for future activities.
You’ll be successful in this role if you:
- Are dedicated to national and community service
- Root your service in our vision & values
- Can problem-solve through challenges and failures
- Are flexible given the ever-changing environment of serving in public schools, and are adaptable in both work style and work environment
- Understand this position is an AmeriCorps service commitment
- Are dedicated to successfully completing a full term of service.
- Demonstrate a passion for working with children
- Possess a natural ability to connect with people
- Are eager for a dynamic schedule
- Pay strong attention to detail and manage competing priorities effectively
- Boast a deep belief in and passionately promote our mission
- Demonstrate a love for relationship-building and public speaking
- Demonstrate an eagerness to train and manage volunteers
- Take initiative in meeting goals and seeking professional growth
- Can quickly learn new technology systems like Salesforce and have a high level of comfort with Google Apps and Zoom Conferencing
- Possess a high school diploma or GED
- Hold US Citizenship or Permanent Resident Status
- Have not completed more than three (3) prior AmeriCorps or VISTA service terms
Bonus Points if you:
- Are an AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alum/alumna
- Have experience volunteering with other community-based or education program
What we offer:
- VISTA members earn a total annual compensation of $26,724.88 via a living stipend from the VISTA program.
- The VISTA program will authorize relocation allowance if a VISTA member moves more than 50 miles in order to serve.
- AmeriCorps/VISTA members are eligible for medical, dental, and vision coverage at no cost for our members; childcare assistance is available through VISTA for those who qualify.
- AmeriCorps members can earn an education award of $6,345 after successfully completing their service term.
- You may be eligible for student loan forbearance on federal student loans.
- We offer an exciting and dynamic culture, and we commit to investing in and supporting our amazing people to grow their careers with us. As such, we provide ongoing professional development opportunities.
The other things you need to know:
- The availability of this VISTA position at Reading Partners is contingent upon grant approval (expected in July).
- Service Terms: VISTA members serve full-time (approximately 40 hours/week) for a 12-month, 365-day term. This VISTA member would serve from mid-January, 2022 through mid-January, 2023.
- Travel: VISTA members may need to travel between Reading Partners sites and offices; reliable transportation is recommended.
- Orientation: Reading Partners VISTA members attend a virtual VISTA Service Orientation in addition to attending Reading Partners trainings. Your direct supervisor will provide role-specific training as well.
- Where we serve: This position will serve as a VISTA Operations Coordinator in Oakland, CA
We look forward to hearing from you!
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Position will remain posted until filled. No phone inquiries.