Major Gifts Officer
Regular status, full-time, FLSA Exempt, fully benefitted
Childhaven is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity, inclusion, and recruiting candidates of every race, creed, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender or gender identity, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected status as provided by law. Qualified individuals who bring diverse perspectives to the workplace are highly encouraged to apply!
For over 110 years Childhaven has been a leader in serving children, families, and communities that have experienced trauma and adversity. In the past few years, we have been adding services and locations, becoming more community-based, and forming partnerships to increase our impact. In June 2020, Childhaven consolidated with Renton Area Youth and Family Services (RAYS) and Art with Heart, which further expanded our capacity to better serve more children, families, and communities. By combining our legacy of healing-centered care, with the expertise of our new partners, Childhaven is building a continuum of care model that is unlike any other in the Puget Sound Region.
We are proud to be a values-driven organization that serves families from diverse communities. Our values are the compass we use to get us there. They guide us in the way we treat each other, the decisions we make, and the success we achieve. Values are the touchstones to chart and guide our behavior, and reflect our commitment to:
- TEAMWORK: Relationships come first.
- EQUITY: There’s infinite value in every human.
- EXCELLENCE: Constructively dissatisfied with the status quo.
- DEDICATION: Do more. Do better.
- RESPECT: Meet people where they are.
- REFLECTION: Feelings Matter. Stepping back and exploring possibilities.
Going forward, we are embarking on a new and very ambitious strategic impact plan to further strengthen programs, expand impact, and embrace innovation. In the next five years our goals are to double the number of locations and quadruple the number of children and families we are serving - all while developing and strengthening partnerships with other community-based organizations, referral sources, government agencies, and universities. In so doing, we are opening doors to a host of new roles and opportunities within the organization. And that’s where you come in.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are seeking the right Major Gifts Officer to join our team at an exciting point in our evolution as a fundraising team. This role is primarily focused on sales – that is, getting out and talking to prospects about the IMPACT of Childhaven, and generating results from those conversations. This is the farthest thing from a desk job! In fact, we want someone in this role who feels like their seat’s always on fire – they HAVE to be out of the office as much as possible!
In terms of who will succeed in this position, the ideal candidate:
- Thrives (and has delivered results) in relational fundraising: The right person may also have a background in business development or consultative sales – and knows that engaging 1x1 with people and making asks is the work they were born to do! This is a person who loves sharing stories about the good things people are doing and presenting opportunities for investment – and isn’t afraid of failure.
- Takes risks and is persistent – this person just keeps going at the goal, despite roadblocks and rejections, and can keep others moving toward the goal as well. This person has encountered plenty of rejection, and is constantly thinking about what new strategies to try out in their next approach, or how to gently plow through resistance.
- Is an action-obsessed strategic organizer – rather than being too focused on all the details, they outline the strategy and work the process for each prospect or opportunity, from initial preparation and phone call to the final follow-through. This person is methodical without letting process slow them down.
- Loves learning and growing – this is someone who takes on each new opportunity knowing they bring both their expertise and a beginner’s mind. This person might regularly engage a coach to help them sharpen their skills, and is always open to new ways of doing things.
- Thrives in a team environment – this candidate understands that they are better for being part of a larger team, and seeks out opportunities to engage others around strategy and support. This person is a cheerleader for others on the team, and intentional about bringing all the benefits of team members to the table.
The Major Gifts Officer is responsible for a sales portfolio, and for delivering on an annual fundraising goal.
- Owner of a sales portfolio:
- Identify and prioritize high-level prospects
- Own relationship management and strategy for all prospects in portfolio:
- Prospect research and strategy
- Prospect predisposition planning
- Prospect visit strategy and planning, including engaging other members of the team as needed
- Visiting with prospects and making asks
- Managing prospect follow-up activities, coordinating with the team as needed
- Meet or exceed annual fundraising goal.
- Contributing member of the team:
- Participate in team selling for funding opportunities as needed
- Participate in – and seek out – opportunities to learn about the projects and communities served by Childhaven.
- Build relationships with organizational leadership
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution or equivalent experience
- Transportation to get to donor meetings
- Valid WA state Driver’s license
- Experience in Mental Health, Early Learning, Childhood Trauma, or related field.
- Experience with sales and/or major gift fundraising.
We invite qualified applicants to submit the following:
- Cover letter explaining your qualifications for this job.