For more than 100 years, the Jamar Company has built a reputation as an expert specialty contractor. We have a history of proven success in solving difficult challenges for our commercial and industrial customers. We’re headquartered in Duluth, MN with offices in the twin cities metro area, Green Bay, Eau Claire and Spooner, WI, Bismarck and Watford City, ND, Windsor, CO and Mountain View, WY. The Jamar Company also includes ASDCO Construction Supply, Arrowhead Refrigeration, Industrial Contractors, Inc., CMS Mechanical Services and Bartingale Mechanical.
We are looking for a team-oriented and detailed Staff Accountant. This position supports the finance and accounting department with weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reporting, and performs journal entries and general ledger/subsidiary account reconciliations, assists with the preparation of financial statements, prepares and analyzes reports and leads or supports special projects.
The ideal candidate understands balance sheet and income statements and how they interact with the general ledger, is proficient in MS Office/Excel and has proven experience in detailed and accurate data entry. They will actively participate in programs and initiatives designed to enhance the overall good of the company and bring with them initiative, excellent problem-solving and organization skills, and the desire to make an impact at Jamar.
- Four-year accounting/finance degree, or a two-year degree in accounting with at least two years’ relevant experience.
- Must understand balance sheet and income statements and how they interact with the general ledger.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Suite programs, with exceptional skills in Excel.
- Must know and follow general accounting and GAAP principles.
- Must have proven experience in detailed, accurate and timely data entry.
- Knowledge of/familiarity with Sarbanes-Oxley compliance is a plus.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Responsible for accurate journal entries – includes month-end entries, general ledger maintenance, adjustments, and compliance with parent company policies and reporting systems.
- Work with Controller and Assistant Controller on month-end, quarterly and year end close.
- Assists with sales & use tax filings in multiple states.
- Assists with/supports annual budget process.
- Manage and maintain accurate accounting records, files and documents including ledgers, journals, receipts and invoices; organizes paperwork, conducts file audits, etc.
- Provide support as required in all functional areas of finance and accounting department.
- Lead special projects as assigned; quarterly audits, asset inventory, etc.
- Help built efficiencies into the department day to day activities.
- Actively participate in programs and initiatives designed to enhance the overall good of the company; includes sister company support as needed.
- Complete additional assignments and special projects as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of balance sheets, income statements and general ledger/trial balance.
- Self-motivated: shows initiative, has strong work ethic and time management skills.
- Strong organization skills, team-oriented and has strong attention to detail.
- Can multi-task, prioritize and meet or exceed deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to keep information confidential.
Physical Demands / Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Primarily a stationary position for a considerable portion of the day (sitting and/or standing). The person in this position needs to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer. Must be able to collaborate with internal and external stakeholders via face to face, conference calls, and online meetings.
- Travel to project sites, or other APi Group company locations as needed.
- The employee will occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in plant environment. PPE required when in the plant, yard or construction areas include:
- Hard Hat
- Safety Glasses / Goggles
- Steel-toed Boots
- High Visibility Vest
- Hearing Protection (designated areas)
- Personal Fall Arrest Harness
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability
- 401K, Profit Sharing and Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Paid Time Off
- Compensation commensurate with experience
For more than 100 years, Jamar has built a reputation as a solid partner delivering solid solutions. And, we don’t just hire anyone. We hire extraordinary people – the kind who:
- Share our values
- Never stop learning
- Care about the community
- Strive for continuous improvement
- Thrive in a team environment