LEHMAN-ROBERTS COMPANY - A PROUD TRADITION SINCE 1939
Our history goes back to 1939 when William E. Lehman and George B. Roberts bought the Mississippi and Memphis operations of Carey-Reed Company, a company started by Mr. Roberts’ brother-in-law in 1907. The new Lehman-Roberts Company located their first asphalt plant and office on Front Street in downtown Memphis. The headquarters were moved to the current address at 1111 Wilson in 1943. In 1971, the company became affiliated with Memphis Stone and Gravel Company through common ownership.
Still a family-owned business, Patrick Nelson leads as President in our dedication to the manufacturing of quality hot mix asphalt and the superior placement of that pavement. Anchoring our company's efforts are the core values of stewardship, humility, continuous improvement and relationships. With manufacturing facilities throughout West Tennessee and North Mississippi, Lehman-Roberts Company specializes in construction projects ranging from commercial parking lots to miles of interstate highway paving throughout the Mid-South.
We have committed to become a leader in the highway construction and aggregate industries by rewarding our most valuable resource... our employees! As part of the family, we offer:
- Paid Vacations
- 6 Paid Holidays
- Earned Paid Time Off
- Medical/ Dental (reduced premium cost with participation in Wellness Program)
- Life Insurance
- 401K w/ Company Match
- Profit Sharing
- Flexible Spending Account
- Additional Voluntary Life Insurance, Short/ Long Term Disability and Vision
Asphalt Plant Operator Review
Operates asphalt plant for the production of hot mix asphalt and other mix designs used in the construction and maintenance of roadways. Requires a thorough understanding of the asphalt manufacturing process, plant repairs and maintenance.
Asphalt Plant Operator Responsibilities
- Learn and exhibit company core values, resulting in a cooperative, positive and supportive attitude.
- Properly follow all OSHA regulations and company Safety Program requirements to ensure safe working procedures and a safe working environment.
- Follow directions of foreman as to daily tasks and expectations for each specific job site.
- Work collaboratively as a team with foreman, fellow crew members and management.
- Understanding of asphalt plant’s components, functions and safe operation.
- Inputs numeric and operational data into computer system for plant production activities
- Operates controls for loading trucks with material
- Monitors material temperature and quality
- Must be willing and able to assist in daily preventive maintenance and plant repairs, inventory control, ordering materials and record keeping
Asphalt Plant Operator Requirements
- 18 years of age or older.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Minimum high school diploma or GED certificate required.
- One year of experience in asphalt plant production and/or operations required.
- Mechanical/Electrical trouble shooting and Welding abilities is a plus.
- Must be familiar with automated plant controls (PMII or PMIII ASTEC controls) Preferred but not required.
- Must be able to work overtime, nights, and weekends as needed at various times throughout the year.
- Flexible schedule required, including early start times, Saturdays and some night work.
- Travel to other plant locations in North Mississippi and West TN could be required.
- Skill in working as part of a team with other employees.
- Must be able to understand work directions and communicate effectively with job site supervisors and fellow employees.
Work Conditions/ Physical Requirements
- Climbing ladders/ stairs and working at heights up to 75 feet on platform
- Capable of lifting and carrying objects up to 75 lbs. for approximately 20 feet.
- Ability to work outside in all weather elements
- Exposed to high noise levels
- Travel required- This position will be floating to cover other plants in Memphis, TN and MS locations.
- Must understand SAFETY and be committed:
- To the health and safety of all employees, subcontractors, customers, and the community;
- To promoting a comprehensive safety culture;
- To individual accountability for following our safety standards; and
- To actively support and participate in a zero accident environment.
- Must be committed to learning the meaning of the company CORE VALUES, as well as their application to the specific, daily duties of the job:
- Humility – freedom from arrogance with a genuine respect for others and their perspectives.
- Relationships – giving priority to people and teamwork over processes.
- Stewardship – taking personal responsibility for the proper care and sharing of company assets.
- Continuous Improvement – committed to being open-minded, growing and learning.
- Must learn the principles of TOTAL PROCESS RELIABILITY (TPR) and implement them into the daily work routine, in order to contribute to maximum equipment reliability, increased production and reduced maintenance costs.
It is the policy of Lehma-Roberts Company not to discriminate against any applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex (to include pregnancy and sexual orientation), gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, or because he or she is a protected veteran or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
The statements included in this job posting are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Lehman-Roberts Company and/or the Memphis Stone & Gravel Company and their designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-hire drug testing.