You are in right place if you want a successful career while furthering your education without racking up debt. Get started on your pathway to a successful career and enroll in our Registered Apprenticeship program by completing an application. The cost of our Apprenticeship Program is covered by Southern Air, therefore we can only offer the benefit to employee's. Submit an application and get a paid apprenticeship with a growing employee owned company, that has been around for over 75 years!
Southern Air, Inc. is a company dedicated to growth of our employees and great customer service. We have branch locations through-out the Virginia, West Virginia and North Carolina region.
Job Description: The State Apprentice will work with a Journeyman / Master to assist in install, maintain, and repair equipment to customers specifications. They will ensure that work is in accordance with relevant codes.
Attend in-house Apprenticeship Programs
- Career development training for all levels through our four year Apprenticeships Program. Students ranging from high school to adults, have the opportunity to earn a journeyman’s license in a field of their choosing by attending classes two nights a week, using curriculum from the National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER).
What you’ll be working on:
- Assist in installation or assembly of trade specific material and equipment in the shop, building, or jobsite.
- Assist with the set-up and operation of trade specific equipment and machinery.
- Clean work area and restock supplies and materials as necessary.
- Actively participate in company sponsored apprenticeship program.
- Work as part of a team and use materials safely.
- Build and maintain good working relationships with colleagues, clients, and managers.
- Other duties as assigned.
How you make Safety your top priority:
- Comply with all company policies and procedures.
- All employees are accountable for safety and health and are empowered to stop work if an unsafe condition is present. Employees should immediately notify their supervisor so that the hazard may be corrected.
- High School diploma, GED, or equivalent experience and training.
- NCCER certification preferred.
- Must have working knowledge of all trade materials and tools.
- Must be able to multi-task, work with minimal supervision, follow written and oral instructions, show attention to detail, and demonstrate problem-solving skills.
- Must be able to pass post-offer pre-employment drug screen, and may be required to satisfactorily complete additional background checks as required (i.e. DMV, criminal history).
- Must adhere to all company policy and procedures.
- Health Plan – With company contributions to employee health saving account
- Dental Plan
- 401k with company match
- ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Plan)
- Vision Plan
- Short Term & Long Term Disability
- Supplemental & Dependent Life Insurance
- Life Insurance & Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D)
- PTO (Paid Time Off) for vacation and other purposes
- Employee Assistance Plan
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to troubleshoot issues with systematic, thoughtful, timely and effective solutions and procedures.
- Demonstrate proper and safe use of tools and related equipment.
- Experience in providing quality, professional customer related services.
- Ability to work and communicate effectively individually as well as in a team environment.
- Ability to handle disruptions in stride with professionalism.
- Ability to work independently in a commercial setting.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions:
The physical activities described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and expectations.
Individuals may need to ride or drive in a vehicle for 2 or more hours at a time depending on position.
Individuals working at an outside job site may be exposed to varying temperatures and all weather conditions.
Performing this job requires frequent use of hands to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls. Must be able to sit, talk, hear, and stand frequently throughout the day. Must be able to climb, reach above shoulder height, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl frequently. The position occasionally may require lifting heavy objects (up to 50 pounds) and performing strenuous physical labor under adverse field conditions.
May work with or around typical construction materials and chemicals that require knowledge of a safety data sheets.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin or disability or protected veteran status.
Visit our website to learn more about Southern Air, Inc. www.southern-air.com