Tarlton Corporation has served as a St. Louis-based general contracting and construction management firm since 1946. We have built strong ties to the region, excellent working relationships with a wide-ranging list of established and new clients, a commitment to project and workforce diversity, and a carefully laid foundation to promote continued growth. Tarlton is a Women's Business Enterprise as certified by the City of St. Louis, State of Missouri and Women's Business Enterprise National Council.
Tarlton is a closely held, client-driven corporation employing an average of 300 people. Our organizational structure is relatively flat so clients and personnel can benefit from continual access to our executives, who take an active role in all Tarlton operations.
Our range of preconstruction and construction services in the commercial, institutional, industrial, life sciences, healthcare and concrete markets is extensive. Tarlton works on projects diverse in scope and size, in both renovation and new construction.
Our philosophy is simple: Take care of the client first and treat others as we would like to be treated. No project is too large or too small if it’s work a client wants completed.
Join our team!
MAJOR GOALS AND PURPOSE
The Director of Business Development is responsible for all aspects of sales and strategy for the advancement of sales to new clients, existing clients, active and inactive, and includes client relationship management, strategy and oversight of how business development efforts with existing clients will be planned, executed, monitored and reported. The Director of Business Development will improve Tarlton's image and relationship in the community and with potential clients, architects, engineers, consultants and key subcontractors so that Tarlton is recommended to their clients as a contractor they would highly recommend for their projects.
- Create new work opportunities for Tarlton by initiating and nurturing contact with new and existing clients.
- Follow up with clients after project award to gauge for client satisfaction.
- Assist with post project reviews.
- Assist in client debriefing post-win and post-loss.
- Obtain and track leads using the CRM system, Cosential.
- Get involved with associations and groups that can enhance Tarlton's position in the industry.
- Develop collateral client relationships (architect, engineers, etc.) in order to facilitate knowledge of immediate and upcoming projects to target.
- Prepares and executes business development action plans for specific customer targets.
- Plan and coordinate client events.
INTERNAL TARLTON CONTACT
- Lead regularly scheduled business development meetings and provide appropriate information to manage business development activities.
- Continually works to understand the services Tarlton currently provides and strategizes about additional value that we could provide to our customers.
- Visits jobsites.
- Supports the client executive and team in closing the opportunity.
- Provides intelligence to support fee strategy.
- Build relationships with senior Tarlton executives to discuss strategies/challenges and ways to more effectively sell Tarlton.
- Develop and lead sales/business strategies for new opportunities.
- Identify trends in the industry and strategize how to capitalize on them.
- Oversee marketing research activities.
- Participate in strategic planning.
PROPOSALS/PRESENTATIONS AND MARKETING
- Works with marketing to plan and leads the proposal process, developing and documenting the win strategy with the team and the Tarlton differentiators in respect to competition and client needs.
- Provides support to marketing team for effective operations participation in the pursuit.
- Prepare team for presentations and interviews.
- Participates in proposal reviews.
- Assist with development and implementation of key components of Tarlton's Marketing Plan as it pertains to business development.
- Monitor client data through the use of computer software.
- Various other duties that may be assigned by the company.
BEHAVIORAL TRAITS, ATTITUDES, AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Must be self-motivated and have the skills to motivate others.
- Above average creative thinking is required.
- Good planning skills are a must.
- Good investigative skills are required to uncover real client needs.
- Above average level of competitiveness is desirable.
- Above average sociability required to work with the wide variety of people he/she will come in contact with.
- Must be able to communicate effectively (written and verbally).
- Must be able to deal with frustration and job pressures.
- Must have the ability to make good decisions based on good analysis of relative factors.
- Must be reliable and able to maintain a schedule.
- Must have good business/financial sense.
- Must have the flexibility and ingenuity to accomplish tasks while maintaining budgetary limitations.
- Must have the ability to work beyond the established business hours of 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
- Ability to compile and analyze data that helps improve Tarlton's odds for success.
- Ability to collaborate and work as a team member.
- Demonstrated passion to engage in appropriate philanthropic and civic activities.
- Demonstrated passion to seek out new opportunities.
PREREQUISITES (i.e., Education, Experience)
- College degree with a major in marketing, communications, business or related field is preferred.
- Demonstrate a proven track record.
- At least five years of experience in construction or related field.
- At least five years of experience in marketing or sales.
- Computer literate.
- General knowledge of the industry and the St. Louis region.
- Great Company Culture!
- Competitive Salary
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life and LTD
- Paid Time Off
- 401(k) with Company Match