McGuire and Hester is a construction company that provides complete site work services: pipelines, grading paving, concrete, landscape and mechanical. In addition to traditional project delivery methods, we are involved with design build projects and alternative delivery methods. McGuire and Hester has played an integral role in the construction of many of Northern California’s most recognizable landmarks and infrastructure projects. Our storied past crosses more than nine decades. Our mission statement is, “Together We Build Things Right” which encompasses our business philosophy as well as our values and culture. We have a team environment that focuses on the greater good, resulting in a fantastic place to work that positively impacts our business partners and community.
A Senior Project Engineer assists Project Managers with the routine aspects of field and cost engineering in order to deliver a successful project; meeting and exceeding corporate and project goals. Under the supervision of the Area Manager, may assume a project management role for portions of a project or smaller less complex projects as needed.
Key Communication Partners
Project Manager, Executive VP Operations, Area Manager, Safety and Training Manager, General Superintendents, Payroll Specialist, Dispatchers, Human Resources Director
- Attend and/or facilitate pre-job planning meetings to review estimates, plans and specs with Estimators, Superintendents and Area Manager.
- Participate in construction planning and design; interpretation of design; application of construction methods; resolution and documentation of design conflicts; constructability reviews, etc. Be aware of design revisions, and as appropriate formally notify others of cost and schedule impact.
- Manage purchasing, supporting the project budget, schedule and contract documents by effectively buying out material and subcontractors in a timely manner taking into consideration the estimator’s agreement with vendor/subs at bid close.
- Initiate or assist in the review of all project management procedures including submittals, invoices, requests for information, change orders, close-out docs, etc.
- Prepare and maintain project administrative documents (submittals, status reports, billings, cost analysis and projections, claims, daily payroll reports, subcontract documents and change orders) as directed by Project Manager or Area Manager.
- Follow up all critical verbal communications with clients, subcontractors and vendors in written form (i.e. email) to confirm verbal understanding and prevent disputes later in the project
- Monitor submittal approvals and shop drawing process in accordance with project schedule.
- Maintain, schedule and review project schedule and two-week look-ahead on a weekly basis with Superintendent and the rest of the project team including subcontractors. Inform Area Manager, PM and Superintendent of any issues and delays as appropriate.
- Understand the Job Cost Budget and Cost Code creation and maintain proper coding of costs throughout project construction, including accurate and timely daily timesheet input.
- Proactively manage the change order process as directed by the Project Manager or Area Manager.
- As directed by the Project Manager or Area Manager, monitor estimated cost to complete and prepare monthly profit forecast reports and provide Superintendent, Foremen and upper management with constant measures of the budget goals successes.
- Prepare, submit and follow up on Requests for Information.
- Ensure daily set-ups an in to dispatch on time.
- Gather and account for daily material deliveries, and accurately approve subcontractor and vendor invoices in a timely manner.
- Field measure and document quantities completed each day.
- Discuss, implement and promote best practices that drive site safety. Identify and recognize positive safety habits and practices of others and promote Safety Bucks Program.
- Lead as necessary and document effective jobsite safety meetings.
- Monitor overall site safety and enforce compliance with all predetermined, communicated safety guidelines. Ensure a clean, safe, OSHA compliant jobsite.
- Make timely and accurate notifications following accidents and jobsite incidents.
- Manage project management related personnel functions and activities in compliance with company and contract requirements, and in support of the overall construction schedule.
- Develop the ability to lead and manage all supervisory personnel to complete the assigned project.
- Resolve project and personnel problems as they arise; notify supervisor and or/ appropriate department head as needed.
- Recognize installation issues or errors and proactively address them before they result in rework.
- Resolve project problems, disputes and open issues on a timely basis.
- Collect and prepare Time & Materials Billings.
- As directed by Project Manager or Area Manager, prepare monthly progress payment requests to the owner in accordance with the contract requirements.
- Assist and/or ensure punch list is performed in a timely manner.
- Complete post-job review on every project to identify and discuss “lessons learned” as well as “project victories”. Provide feedback to estimating on cost issues and subcontractor performance.
- Maintain good client and business partner relationships; serve as a liaison between owner’s, subcontractors and company personnel.
- Internally, help foster an efficient, productive, environment by getting to know co-workers.
- Recognize others for their contribution to the company.
- Maintain current certifications for CPR/First Aid, OSHA 30, Asbestos Cement Pipe, Harassment Prevention for Supervisors, Competent Person Trenching and Shoring, Confined Space Entry/Rescue and other trainings as appropriate to jobsite conditions. Attend training classes as provided.
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential
Education and Experience: undergraduate degree in construction management, landscape
architecture or civil engineering and one year estimating takeoff and two or more year’s heavy
civil field experience. In absence of a 4 year degree, the equivalent in construction management
related experience with at least 1 year estimating take-off and two or more heavy civil field
Language Skills: must be able to read and write in English; bilingual in Spanish helpful but not
Mathematical Skills: basic business math and the ability to create and understand budgets;
geometry, algebra and physics necessary for calculating volume, area and tonnage.
Planning and Organizing: this position requires self-motivation, strong planning, organizing and
time management skills, the ability to create and follow a schedule and multiple activities
Reasoning Ability: must have strong problem solving, analytical skills and reading
comprehension and be able to deal with both standardized and non-standard situations with
Interpersonal Skills: the ability to interface and collaborate with a wide variety of people
including clients, employees, managers, agencies and the public
Computer Skills: must be fluent with Microsoft Office Suite. Individuals in this position will also
need to be able to learn to use new technologies as they evolve or are implemented.
Certificates, Licenses, Registration: valid California Driver’s License and clean driving record
Besides a competitive salary and the best retirement package in the industry we offer:
- Company Vehicle
- Family medical, dental and vision
- Company Stock (ESOP)
- 401k Employer Match
- Bonus Program
- Continuing Education Reimbursement
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Sabbatical Program
- Personal Financial Planning
We are confident that our retirement plan is the best in the industry.
$103,000 - $120,000 annual compensation based on skills, experience and knowledge