For more than 100 years, the Jamar Company has built a reputation as an expert specialty contractor. We have a history of proven success in solving difficult challenges for our industrial and commercial customers. We’re headquartered in Duluth, MN with offices in the twin cities metro area, Green Bay and Spooner, WI, Bismarck and Watford City, ND, Windsor, CO and Mountain View, WY. The Jamar Company also includes ASDCO Construction Supply, Arrowhead Refrigeration, CMS Mechanical Services, and Industrial Contractors, Inc.
We are looking to fill a Field/Project Engineer position within our industrial construction department. This role, under general supervision, will safely provide assistance with all facets of projects in varying stages of the industrial construction process, including estimating, productivity reporting, preparation of bid packages, equipment and material processing, paperwork, customer submittals and other day to day functions.
- Technical or undergraduate degree in business or construction management, engineering or a related field, OR at least two years’ experience in the field working in industrial or commercial construction.
- Desire to master construction concepts and successfully learn project management.
- Technical aptitude and advanced computer skills; MS Office (excel, word, power point). MS Project. iPad and iPhone experience helpful.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Well-developed organizational and time management skills; ability to schedule/coordinate projects to meet expressed deadlines.
- Valid State Driver’s license with a clean driving record.
- Ability to travel to project sites; travel includes throughout the upper Midwest.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Have knowledge of and aggressively adhere to required safety standards and requirements of the company and our customers.
- Provide assistance to design engineers and project managers during all project phases.
- Prepare bid packages and other paperwork as required (PO’s, submittals, etc.).
- Develop equipment drawings, schedules, submittals, material lists, and as built drawings.
- Assist in compiling cost estimates and proposal preparation.
- Coordinate material ordering and verification.
- Work with field, other trades, and customers collaboratively.
- Aggressively perform continuous self-study to maintain a competitive edge in the industry and company’s standards, practices and product line; understand agreements and work scope.
- Assist in providing direction and support to field teams in the installation and execution of contracts.
- Other duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail; ability to schedule and coordinate projects to meet expressed deadlines
- Initiative and self-discipline; ability to collaborate and work in a team setting
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Well-developed organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work within a team environment; attend and participate in team coordination meetings.
- Willingness to keep current with continuing education as necessary.
- Actively participate in programs and initiatives designed to enhance the overall good of the company, including sister company support as needed
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to effectively represent the company in an ethical and professional manner that is consistent with our values and mission.
Physical Demands / Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Walking includes moving within a project site, including uneven surface/ground.
- The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in plant and/or customer environments. PPE required when in the plant, yard, customer, or construction areas include:
- Hard Hat
- Safety Glasses / Goggles
- Steel-toed Boots
- High Visibility Vest
- Hearing Protection (designated areas)
- Personal Fall Arrest Harness
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability
- 401K with Employer match, Profit Sharing, and Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Paid Time Off
- Compensation commensurate with experience
For more than 100 years, Jamar has built a reputation as a solid partner delivering solid solutions. And, we don’t just hire anyone. We hire extraordinary people – the kind who:
- Share our values
- Never stop learning
- Care about the community
- Strive for continuous improvement
- Thrive in a team environment