OBJECTIVE: Deploy strategic public relations, communications and media relations strategies and tactics to enhance the voice and reputation of Iowa soybean farmers and Iowa Soybean Association.
- Compose, edit and distribute timely news releases, association statements, chatter sheets, background papers, media alerts and guest editorials to advance understanding and support of Iowa Soybean Association programs, activities and issues impacting soybean farmers.
- Utilize variety of formats including print, video, audio and electronic to enhance reach and pickup.
- Pitch reporters, bloggers and key influencers on topics and issues centric to soybean production and ISA programs to build support, awareness, and constituent engagement.
- Maintain and distribute media kits, story and reader tip sheets and backgrounders to enhance reporter familiarity and understanding of ISA and soy-related topics.
- Capture audio, photography, and video to pair with news for the overall effectiveness and reach of ISA content.
- Vet and facilitate information and interview inquiries from reporters, bloggers, and media in a timely and professional manner.
- Organize and facilitate media briefings, drops and tours, editorial board visits and media participation in high-value ISA events and activities.
- Develop and implement strategic public relations, marketing, and communications campaigns to:
- Deepen ISA brand affinity among primary and tertiary audiences;
- Increase farmer and key influencer engagement in ISA programs and activities; and
- Enhance awareness about the uses, applications, and relevancy of soy.
- Develop and implement activities that enhance the effectiveness and confidence of soybean farmers and ISA staff as communicators. Includes:
- Coordinating annual spokesperson training for ISA board of directors and designated staff;
- Maintain and distribute timely messaging for use by ISA farmer and staff spokespersons;
- Managing ISA Communications Squad, a group of 20-25 soybean farmers who volunteer to serve as spokespersons on key issues impacting the soybean industry and agriculture; includes developing and overseeing budget, curriculum creation, farmer recruitment, program communications, managing vendors and leading up to four communications training sessions annually.
- Serve as editorial director of twice-monthly The State of Soy video series; manage distribution through owned, earned, and paid communications channels.
- Oversee the implementation of ISA quantitative and qualitative research including association’s annual farmer-member survey; report findings to ISA leaders, soybean farmers and staff.
- Foster relationships with targeted ag, fuel and food media and key non-ag media who report on ag, food and fuel topics; maintain accurate list of all media contacts.
- Quantify earned media metrics including reach and publicity value.
- Serve on ISA editorial team to develop and implement communications assignments to achieve departmental goals and organizational success.
- Ability to build alliances and effective communications with various agriculture and organizational stakeholders.
- Represent ISA in stakeholder engagement events and activities benefiting the soybean industry and Iowa agriculture.
- Assist in the management of ISA advertising and marketing activities to achieve key organizational metrics.
- Author feature stories for association’s print, digital and electronic communications.
- Assist ISA Creative Director with graphic design using Adobe Indesign, Illustrator & Photoshop.
- Acting Strategically
- Communicating Effectively
- Demonstrating Initiative
- Establishing and Maintaining Relationships
- Acquiring Information
- This position has no supervisory responsibility.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Marketing or Communications.
- Exceptional writer (news, public relations and marketing) who can perform under tight deadlines.
- Exceptional project management skills and ability to effectively manage multiple projects and escalating priorities on time and on budget.
- Ability to converse with diverse audiences regarding organizational and industry issues.
- Strong analytical, interpretative, evaluative, and constructive thinking skills.
- Creative and curious – an idea-person with enthusiasm and passion for serving farmers and fellow staff.
- Skilled in pitching media and facilitating media inquiries.
- Demonstrated understanding of developing public relations plans and campaigns.
- Thorough understanding of how to develop and acquire qualitative and quantitative research.
- Strong familiarity and affinity with production agriculture.
- Self-motivated with a positive and professional approach to working with others.
- Knowledge of web development and social media applications.
- Medical, Dental and Vision insurance
- Flexible Spending Account available
- Cellphone and Wellness reimbursement
- 401(k) with generous company match
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Dress for your Day Dress Code