Medical A/R Billing Specialist
(Based on years of applicable experience)
Full-time, Regular Status, FLSA Non-Exempt
Childhaven is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity, inclusion, and recruiting candidates of every race, creed, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender or gender identity, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected status as provided by law. Qualified individuals who bring diverse perspectives to the workplace are highly encouraged to apply!
For over 110 years Childhaven has been a leader in serving children, families, and communities that have experienced trauma and adversity. In the past few years, we have been adding services and locations, becoming more community-based, and forming partnerships to increase our impact. In June 2020, Childhaven consolidated with Renton Area Youth and Family Services (RAYS) and Art with Heart, which further expanded our capacity to better serve more children, families, and communities. By combining our legacy of healing-centered care, with the expertise of our new partners, Childhaven is building a continuum of care model that is unlike any other in the Puget Sound Region.
We are proud to be a values-driven organization that serves families from diverse communities. Our values are the compass we use to get us there. They guide us in the way we treat each other, the decisions we make, and the success we achieve. Values are the touchstones to chart and guide our behavior, and reflect our commitment to:
- TEAMWORK: Relationships come first.
- EQUITY: There’s infinite value in every human.
- EXCELLENCE: Constructively dissatisfied with the status quo.
- DEDICATION: Do more. Do better.
- RESPECT: Meet people where they are.
- REFLECTION: Feelings Matter. Stepping back and exploring possibilities.
You are a passionate, driven, and dedicated Medical A/R Billing Specialist who is excited by this opportunity to bring your superpowers and diverse mix of skills and experience to advance our work. You share our vision to help ensure that all children are safe and healthy; thriving physically, socially emotionally and educationally; and well nurtured by family and by their community. You too are constructively dissatisfied with the status quo, embrace continuous improvement, and heed the call to better serve more. You are equal parts learner, leader, and mentor… and see around the corners of a challenge, replaying the question of “What if” with a reply of “Why not”.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY:
Childhaven is seeking a dynamic Medical A/R Billing Specialist to support us in achieving our mission, vision, goals, and values.
Above all, the selected candidate will bring enthusiasm for helping us build and support a passionate and skilled workforce of diverse professionals who make significant positive impacts in the lives of children, families, and communities. Currently located in South King County. This position will support the development of a strong medical and behavioral health billing department and report to our Senior Manager of Program Operations.
The Medical A/R Billing Specialist is responsible for timely and accurate submission of claims to insurance companies and Medicaid, payment posting, A/R follow-up, review of client accounts, by utilizing billing practices that are ethical and compliant with government and contract regulations. This individual will perform a variety of billing, accounts receivable and follow-up duties.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Submit, review and resolve all unpaid client and insurance accounts. Includes, but is not limited to:
- Prepare and submit claims either electronically via Credible EHR and the Clearinghouse or on paper via mail.
- Review and correct claim errors at the Clearinghouse and Credible level.
- Review remittance advice to determine correct payments from insurance. Post payments in Credible from insurers and clients, both electronic and manual.
- Resolve claim issues and resubmit corrected claims.
- Provide timely follow-up for claims and claim denials to ensure maximum reimbursement for services provided and submit appeals to insurers, as necessary.
- Excellent phone etiquette when dealing with client and insurance inquiries.
- Research, audit, and investigate proper payment of claims and client accounts.
- Prepare and send out monthly statements to clients.
- Contact clients for payment resolution and negotiate payment plan arrangements.
- Demonstrates a high degree of skill in communication and positive interaction with all employees, prospective employees, external agencies/companies, and the community at large.
- Serve as point of contact for patient billing questions.
- Provide support to Finance and Management as needed.
- Attend regularly scheduled staff meetings.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Commitment to the Purpose, Vision, and Values of the agency.
- Acceptance of a variety of lifestyles, behaviors, cultural, and spiritual practices.
- Ability to professionally interact with all levels of organization.
- Minimum of 2 years of medical A/R & biller experience or similar role.
- A certificate or degree in medical billing is preferred, but not required.
- Strong understanding of behavior health and medical billing, as well as medical terminology.
- Strong working knowledge of insurance guidelines and reimbursement process for medical and mental health billing.
- Understanding of Revenue Cycle Management process.
- Excellent skills in analyzing, interpreting, and posting EOBs.
- Understands authorizations and limits to coverage.
- Solid understanding of Credible billing software and electronic health records. (preferred)
- Working experience with Clearinghouse processes.
- Knowledge of HIPAA standards and regulations.
- Ability to exercise discretion and maintain customer and employee confidentiality.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Can do teamwork attitude and the ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Must have the ability to multitask and manage time effectively.
- Outstanding problem-solving and organizational abilities.
We strive to make Childhaven a great place to work by living our values: Teamwork, Equity, Excellence, Dedication, Reflection and Respect. Here’s a little bit about what we offer our staff:
- The ability to work alongside and learn from a multi-disciplinary team of highly skilled and experienced professionals.
- We believe in fully transparent hiring practices. The salary range for this role is $47k -$57k dependent on experience.
- We offer a comprehensive benefit package including medical, dental and vision insurance. Ten paid holidays, 2 weeks of vacation, paid sick leave, and 3 personal holidays. Expanded benefits include a flexible spending account, education reimbursement and a 403(b) savings program with employer contributions. A full listing of benefits is available.
- No matter what your role is, you'll get opportunities to attend a wide variety of trainings on clinical and education topics, advocacy, management skills, and more. We also work hard to make sure that you have a mentor—a person who's helping you grow professionally.
- We’re dedicated to serving the full range of cultural diversity in our community, and to providing families with care that’s relevant to them and their values. As a member of Childhaven staff, you’ll be encouraged to contribute to community engagement strategies and to assist our Racial Equity Team, which makes ongoing recommendations to ensure that our programs and protocols are doing their part to dismantle systemic racism.
To Be Considered:
- Complete an online application.
- Include a cover letter detailing how your experience and education that qualifies you for the position.
- Include a resume with professional experience and education that meets the minimum qualification.