Community Engagement Coordinator
Full-time, Regular Status, FLSA Non-Exempt
Childhaven is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity, inclusion, and recruiting candidates of every race, creed, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender or gender identity, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected status as provided by law. Qualified individuals who bring diverse perspectives to the workplace are highly encouraged to apply!
For over 110 years Childhaven has been a leader in serving children, families, and communities that have experienced trauma and adversity. In the past few years, we have been adding services and locations, becoming more community-based, and forming partnerships to increase our impact. In June 2020, Childhaven consolidated with Renton Area Youth and Family Services (RAYS) and Art with Heart, which further expanded our capacity to better serve more children, families, and communities. By combining our legacy of healing-centered care, with the expertise of our new partners, Childhaven is building a continuum of care model that is unlike any other in the Puget Sound Region.
We are proud to be a values-driven organization that serves families from diverse communities. Our values are the compass we use to get us there. They guide us in the way we treat each other, the decisions we make, and the success we achieve. Values are the touchstones to chart and guide our behavior, and reflect our commitment to:
- TEAMWORK: Relationships come first.
- EQUITY: There’s infinite value in every human.
- EXCELLENCE: Constructively dissatisfied with the status quo.
- DEDICATION: Do more. Do better.
- RESPECT: Meet people where they are.
- REFLECTION: Feelings Matter. Stepping back and exploring possibilities.
Going forward, we are embarking on a new and very ambitious strategic impact plan to further strengthen programs, expand impact, and embrace innovation. In the next five years our goals are to double the number of locations and quadruple the number of children and families we are serving - all while developing and strengthening partnerships with other community-based organizations, referral sources, government agencies, and universities. In so doing, we are opening doors to a host of new roles and opportunities within the organization. And that’s where you come in.
You are a passionate, driven, and dedicated Community Engagement Coordinator who is excited by this opportunity to bring your superpowers and diverse mix of skills and experience to advance our work. You share our vision to help ensure that all children are safe and healthy; thriving physically, socially emotionally and educationally; and well nurtured by family and by their community. You too are constructively dissatisfied with the status quo, embrace continuous improvement, and heed the call to better serve more. You are equal parts learner, leader, and mentor… and see around the corners of a challenge, replaying the question of “What if” with a reply of “Why not”.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
This position will coordinate the creation and execution of a cross-organization plan for community outreach and engagement, including raising awareness about the organization, our programs, and the development of engagement and partnership pathways for individuals, organizations, and corporations that align with our mission and vision.
Typical duties include the following. Other duties and special projects may be assigned.
- Implement innovative approaches for the development of culturally sensitive and results-driven strategies for outreach to inform referral sources of our services and generate qualified referrals
- Proactively call on healthcare, early learning, youth, and social service organizations to make early and appropriate referrals
- Serve as organizational point person for referral partners and maintain effective communications with partners
- In partnership with External Relations team, develop and distribute promotional materials to current and potential referral sources
- Monitor the success of outreach and referral strategies and budget, and making course corrections as needed
- Relationship management with referral partners
- Contribute to organizational initiatives that integrate family and community voice into programming
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with community-based organizations
- Represent Childhaven in community initiatives and at events that support our brand goals/strategies as well as family and community well-being
- Support relationship building and advocacy with federal, state, county and city staff and elected officials
- Help establish and cultivate mutually beneficial relationships with cross sectoral entities, including health care, social services and education entities
- Monitor the success of community input and engagement strategies and budget, and make course corrections as needed
- Ensure effective volunteer outreach and recruitment through internal and external community partnerships as well as online resources
- Coordinate and execute opportunities for Representation, Service and Events with the Community Leadership Board
- Recruit and maintain accurate and up-to-date contact database for corporate groups and event volunteers
- Coordinate with internal partners, including but not limited to, facilities maintenance, philanthropy team including event director, and others, to determine organizational need for volunteers, including coordinate and manage volunteers for fundraising events
- Provide clear and specific expectations for every volunteer role and ensure volunteer physical safety and overall wellness while volunteering
- Develop strategies for engaging and recruiting diverse community volunteers
- Provide volunteers with stewardship and correspondence regarding program updates, branch closures or notifications, documentation requirements and overall organization messaging and information
- Oversee an efficient Holiday Giving program that is consistent with our priorities and needs
- Monitor the success of volunteer program, provide program related data, and make course corrections as needed
- Lead and support strategic projects and quality improvement initiatives
- Help embed community engagement within the organization by giving staff, families, board and community members multiple ways to engage throughout the year
- Participate in staff meetings, planning days and agency trainings.
- Provide back up in administrative and support roles as needed
- Will be excited to work with a multidisciplinary team delivering trauma-informed early learning, early intervention, and infant mental health services to families with high needs.
- Will believe in strength-based collaboration with children and families that improves their lives
- Proactive, action oriented, and committed to developing and maintaining partnerships
- Bachelor’s degree in any related field or equivalent life experience, including human services, social impact design, communications, social work, public policy, etc.
- Exceptional relationship skills
- Over 3 years of experience in community engagement and/or volunteer coordination/management
- Capability to communicate professionally and clearly in both verbal and written form to a diverse set of audiences and stakeholders
- A strong social justice commitment with ability to promote equity within and outside of Childhaven
- Ability to be effective as a public speaker and conducting public outreach
- Ability, skills, and interest in relationship management with comfort with cold calling, converting warm leads, and establishing significantly beneficial relationships for the organization
- Experience in recognizing, analyzing, and independently solving a variety of problems
- Able to organize and prioritize multiple projects while meeting deadlines in a time-sensitive environment
- Demonstrated skill in utilizing CRM databases, Microsoft Office and online web programs, digital communications platforms, and websites
- Strong project management, including ability to keep projects on time and on budget
- Commitment to undoing institutional and community racism by contributing to a values driven community that promotes diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, to include evenings and weekends, in order to meet the needs of community residents and be present at community functions
- Valid driver's license and reliable transportation and automotive liability insurance
- Strong social media and communication skills
- Experience in community development, town halls, community cafes, etc.
- Bi-lingual helpful
No matter your role, you'll get opportunities to attend a wide variety of trainings on clinical and education topics, advocacy, management skills and more.
- We also work hard to make sure that you have a mentor—a person who's helping you grow professionally.
- We’re dedicated to serving the full range of cultural diversity in our community, and to providing families with care that’s relevant to them and their values. As a member of Childhaven staff, you’ll be encouraged to contribute to community engagement strategies and will participate on the ESIT Racial Equity/Social Justice Team to ensure that our programs and protocols are doing their part to dismantle systemic racism.
To Be Considered
- Complete an online application.
- Include a cover letter detailing how your experience and education that qualifies you for the position.
- Include a resume.