ECEAP Teacher’s Aide
Part-time, Regular Status, FLSA Non-Exempt
School year-10 month paid position
Childhaven is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity, inclusion, and recruiting candidates of every race, creed, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender or gender identity, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected status as provided by law. Qualified individuals who bring diverse perspectives to the workplace are highly encouraged to apply!
For over 110 years Childhaven has been a leader in serving children, families, and communities that have experienced trauma and adversity. In the past few years, we have been adding services and locations, becoming more community-based, and forming partnerships to increase our impact. In June 2020, Childhaven consolidated with Renton Area Youth and Family Services (RAYS) and Art with Heart, which further expanded our capacity to better serve more children, families, and communities. By combining our legacy of healing-centered care, with the expertise of our new partners, Childhaven is building a continuum of care model that is unlike any other in the Puget Sound Region.
We are proud to be a values-driven organization that serves families from diverse communities. Our values are the compass we use to get us there. They guide us in the way we treat each other, the decisions we make, and the success we achieve. Values are the touchstones to chart and guide our behavior, and reflect our commitment to:
- TEAMWORK: Relationships come first.
- EQUITY: There’s infinite value in every human.
- EXCELLENCE: Constructively dissatisfied with the status quo.
- DEDICATION: Do more. Do better.
- RESPECT: Meet people where they are.
- REFLECTION: Feelings Matter. Stepping back and exploring possibilities.
You are a passionate, driven, and dedicated Teacher’s Aide who is excited by this opportunity to bring your superpowers and diverse mix of skills and experience to advance our work. You share our vision to help ensure that all children are safe and healthy; thriving physically, socially emotionally and educationally; and well nurtured by family and by their community. You too are constructively dissatisfied with the status quo, embrace continuous improvement, and heed the call to better serve more. You are equal parts learner, leader, and mentor… and see around the corners of a challenge, replaying the question of “What if” with a reply of “Why not”.
You proactively break down silos and nurture a cohesive and collaborative team that prioritizes “we” and “ours” over “I” and “my”. You foster an environment of belonging, healing, and relationship-building - and recognize that feelings matter. You take initiative, participate fully, and engage deeply, all while maintaining a sense of humor and having fun. You whole-heartedly embrace diversity, equity, inclusion, and culture. You are curious, courageous, and reflective – and willing to bring your humanity to work.
If this sounds like you – we need to meet - and talk more about the positive impact we could have together.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY:
Childhaven is seeking a dynamic Teacher’s Aide to support us in achieving our mission, vision, goals, and values.
Above all, the selected candidate will bring enthusiasm for helping us build and support a passionate and skilled workforce of diverse professionals who make significant positive impacts in the lives of children, families, and communities. Currently located in South King County. This position will report to our Early Learning Program Director.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The ECEAP Teacher’s Aid assists the teachers in the daily routine of the program. The primary focus includes meal preparations, family-style meal implementation and cleanup, and/or working with children and assisting in the classroom.
Typical duties include:
- Responsible for knowledge of and compliance with USDA, Food Handler’s and ECEAP policies and procedures regarding kitchen/meals/cleanup.
- Checks the temperature of food to assure it meets standard requirements.
- Serves food, identifying children’s dietary accommodations with information provided by teacher/FSS.
- Performs a variety of duties in receiving, storing and preparing, serving, transporting, and cleaning-up of meals.
- As requested by lead teacher, includes children in preparing, serving, eating, and cleanup of meals or nutrition projects in a manner that meets Health and ECEAP program requirements and safety standards.
- Participates in family-style mealtimes with children.
- Sets up kitchen, organizes kitchen routine, and replenishes kitchen supplies by contacting responsible parties.
- Stores, refrigerates, heats, divides food into serving containers, and arranges food in an appealing manner.
- Sets tables; distributes and collects eating utensils.
- Washes dishes, pots, serving containers and utensils by hand and/or machine.
- Cleans tables, chairs, counters, equipment, and floors.
- Assists with maintaining emergency food and emergency non-food supplies.
- Other related job duties as needed and assigned
Interactions with Children/Classroom
- Assists teachers with supervision of children.
- Supervises children 1:1 or in group setting at the direction of a teacher.
- Participates in the implementation of daily curriculum and routine with children, inside and outside.
- Interacts positively with children to support their learning and meet their emotional needs.
- Contributes to the developmentally appropriate and safe preschool environment.
- Interacts with children in a manner appropriate to their age and stage of development.
- Assists teachers with first aid and injury/health forms.
- Diaper’s children and assists with toilet training when requested by lead teacher.
- Assist teachers in setting up and/or cleaning the classroom and activities, including laundry and cleaning toys.
- Assists in maintaining equipment and storing supplies.
- Complies with the agency policy and procedure regarding the identification and reporting of suspected child abuse
- Complies with all Childhaven policies and procedures
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to participate as a positive, productive team member of the site's multi-disciplinary team
- Knowledge of developmentally appropriate practices for preschoolers
- Ability to communicate effectively and relate positively to students, parents, staff and volunteers in a diverse environment
- Ability to adjust to varied situations, demands and new instructional concepts
- Ability to perform basic clerical tasks such as record keeping, filing, typing, copying, etc.
- Ability to attend occasional evening meetings and to occasionally
- Ability to occasionally lift 50 lbs.
High school diploma or equivalent
Previous food service experience
Previous work in a preschool/early childhood setting preferred
- Fingerprinting and background check.
- Current cleared portable background check through Washington Department of Early
- MERIT identification
- First aid and CPR card within 90 days of hire.
- Food and Beverage Handler’s Permit within 90 days of hire.
- Completion of a one-step Mantoux tuberculosis (TB) skin test, unless there is written proof of one of the following:
- A negative Mantoux TB test in the 12 months prior to hiring.
- Medication therapy to treat TB.
- A recent negative chest X-ray and a statement from a health care provider that the individual does not pose a risk to others.
We strive to make Childhaven a great place to work by living our values: Teamwork, Equity,
Excellence, Dedication, and Respect. Here’s a little bit about what we offer our staff:
- We believe in fully transparent hiring process.
- We offer a comprehensive benefit package including medical, dental and vision insurance. Expanded benefits include a flexible spending account, healthcare reimbursement account, a 403(b) savings program with employer A full listing of benefits is available.
- Opportunities to attend a wide variety of trainings on clinical and education topics, advocacy and more.
- We’re dedicated to serving the full range of cultural diversity in our community, and to providing families with care that’s relevant to them and their As a member of Childhaven staff, you’ll be encouraged to contribute to community engagement strategies and to serve on our Racial Equity Team, which makes ongoing recommendations to ensure that our programs and protocols are doing their part to dismantle systemic racism.