Salary Range: $51,248 - $65,341
The Benefits Administrator is responsible for the development and administration of retirement plans and employee benefits for all HRT employees, per HRT policy.
Essential lob Functions:
(Duties listed are not intended to be all inclusive nor to limit duties that might reasonably be assigned.)
- Manages the day-to-day administration of the pension and retirement plans to include: meeting with employees, calculation of retirement and contribution payments, disability applications, preparing documentation for payments, maintain official pension files, and preparing minutes from meetings.
- Reviews the monthly statements from the union pension for accuracy and payment of benefits.
- Performs monthly reconciliation of benefits billing statements for all group insurance policies; ensures timely payment of premiums; and maintains statistical data relative to premiums, claims, and costs. Resolves administrative problems with the carrier representatives.
- Develops benefit information, reports, statistical and census data for actuaries, insurance carriers, and management.
- Prepares all COBRA notices.
- Serves as a backup to the Benefits Specialist for processes benefit enrollments, changes, and terminations in PS HCM.
- Answer retirement and benefit questions, research specific questions and respond verbally or in writing as necessary in a timely manner.
- Serves as a backup to the Benefits Specialist for employee benefit orientations.
- Ensures employee understanding of the union pension plan by regularly generating communication and counseling employees/dependents as situations arise. Resolves employee and retiree complaints related to the pension plan. Handle pension inquiries and complaints to ensure quick, equitable, courteous resolution.
- Acts as liaison with various third party administrators for the pension plan and COBRA and fosters effective relationships with client representatives. Acts as a resource to employees to ensure their understanding and compliance with pension, COBRA, and HR policies and regulations. Keeps management advised of potential problem areas and recommends/implements solutions as appropriate.
- Responsible for tracking benefits of employees on a leave of absence and COBRA as well as retirees continuing benefits. This includes working with Finance and/or Payroll to verify and track payments and billing, ensuring enrollments, terminations or changes are made and communicated as well as sending notices to employees of requirements.
- Monitors, administers, and communicates with employees matters regarding COBRA, FMLA, ADA, HIPAA and other federal and state laws ensuring compliance.
- Assists with administering HRT’s wellness programs.
- Assist other Human Resources staff as requested or needed.
- Maintains all retirement, COBRA, and LOA files.
- Maintains Human Resource Information System records and compiles reports from database as needed.
- Manage records created and received in compliance with the Hampton Roads Transit Records Management Policy and Procedures.
- Responsible for maintaining a general awareness of HRT’s EMS
- Responsible for handling all related job responsibilities in accordance to HRT’s Environmental Policy, relevant EMS Standard Operating Procedures, and Emergency Management Plan
- Responsible for ensuring employees in their respective functional areas have adequate training and tools necessary to meet the requirements of the EMS procedures and SOPs
- Responsible for observing and evaluating required EMS competencies among employees in their respective functional areas
- Prepare and/or coordinate with other departments any documentation required in support of the FTA triennial reviews, drug and alcohol audits, independent audits, state audits, EEO Program audit, etc.
Required Knowledge, Abilities and Skills Essential to Job Functions:
- Must have a thorough knowledge of retirement plans, particularly defined benefit plans and 457 plans.
- Must have extensive knowledge of employee benefit programs and plans, especially related to COBRA and monthly employee benefit plan billing.
- Able to maintain extensive knowledge of general benefit information relative to best management practices, technical developments, and current trends. Must be willing to increase technical knowledge and skills in order to maintain effective retirement and benefit programs for HRT.
- Extremely perceptive and able to relate and communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with the public and with employees to exchange and clarify information, to understand the views of others and to speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations.
- Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner, and gather and analyze information skillfully
- Possess a high level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations and documentation
- Possess attention to detail in composing, typing, and proofing materials, establishing priorities and meeting deadlines.
- Ability to demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness to ensure quality
- Ability to work independently and develop realistic action plans, demonstrating initiative and time management skills
- Ability to adapt to changes in the work environment, manage competing demands and able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events
- Skilled in obtaining, verifying and evaluating general and statistical information
- Ability to establish and maintain manual and automated records and files
- Ability to research, compile and organize data and information for reports.
- Experience and understanding of Human Resources management operations and role in an organization.
- Possess extensive knowledge of HRT policies and procedures, rules and regulations and bargaining unit contract.
Required Software Knowledge and Skills essential to Job Functions:
Proficiency in using computer systems and the listed software applications associated with the performance of assigned work is required. Basic problem-solving skills associated with software applications is expected. Software usage relevant to job duties will be evaluated.
Microsoft – Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint; PeopleSoft HCM
Perform all job duties and responsibilities in a safe manner to protect one’s self, fellow employees, and the public from injury or harm. Promote safety awareness and follow safety procedures and policies. Take an active part in reporting unsafe conditions and any hazards within the workplace to their Supervisor, Manager and/or the Safety Department.
Required Experience/Training and/or Education:
Requires any combination of education and/or experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree and five years’ experience working in Human Resources with four years’ benefits administration experience which includes working with retirement and pension plans.
Licenses or Certificates:
Virginia Driver’s License
This position is classified as non-essential personnel.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work involves meeting multiple demands on a timely basis. Duties may require working outside of normal business hours.