Full-time, Regular Status, FLSA Non-Exempt
Childhaven is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity, inclusion, and recruiting candidates of every race, creed, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender or gender identity, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected status as provided by law. Qualified individuals who bring diverse perspectives to the workplace are highly encouraged to apply!
For over 110 years Childhaven has been a leader in serving children, families, and communities that have experienced trauma and adversity. In the past few years, we have been adding services and locations, becoming more community-based, and forming partnerships to increase our impact. In June 2020, Childhaven consolidated with Renton Area Youth and Family Services (RAYS) and Art with Heart, which further expanded our capacity to better serve more children, families, and communities. By combining our legacy of healing-centered care, with the expertise of our new partners, Childhaven is building a continuum of care model that is unlike any other in the Puget Sound Region.
We are proud to be a values-driven organization that serves families from diverse communities. Our values are the compass we use to get us there. They guide us in the way we treat each other, the decisions we make, and the success we achieve. Values are the touchstones to chart and guide our behavior, and reflect our commitment to:
- TEAMWORK: Relationships come first.
- EQUITY: There’s infinite value in every human.
- EXCELLENCE: Constructively dissatisfied with the status quo.
- DEDICATION: Do more. Do better.
- RESPECT: Meet people where they are.
- REFLECTION: Feelings Matter. Stepping back and exploring possibilities.
Going forward, we are embarking on a new and very ambitious strategic impact plan to further strengthen programs, expand impact, and embrace innovation. In the next five years our goals are to double the number of locations and quadruple the number of children and families we are serving - all while developing and strengthening partnerships with other community-based organizations, referral sources, government agencies, and universities. In so doing, we are opening doors to a host of new roles and opportunities within the organization. And that’s where you come in.
You are a passionate, driven, and dedicated Program Assistant who is excited by this opportunity to bring your superpowers and diverse mix of skills and experience to advance our work. You share our vision to help ensure that all children are safe and healthy; thriving physically, socially emotionally and educationally; and well nurtured by family and by their community. You too are constructively dissatisfied with the status quo, embrace continuous improvement, and heed the call to better serve more. You are equal parts learner, leader, and mentor… and see around the corners of a challenge, replaying the question of “What if” with a reply of “Why not”.
You proactively break down silos and nurture a cohesive and collaborative team that prioritizes “we” and “ours” over “I” and “my”. You foster an environment of belonging, healing, and relationship-building - and recognize that feelings matter. You take initiative, participate fully, and engage deeply, all while maintaining a sense of humor and having fun. You whole-heartedly embrace diversity, equity, inclusion, and culture. You are curious, courageous, and reflective – and willing to bring your humanity to work.
If this sounds like you – we need to meet - and talk more about the positive impact, we could have together.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY:
Childhaven is seeking a dynamic Program Assistant to support us in achieving our mission, vision, goals, and values.
Above all, the selected candidate will bring enthusiasm for helping us build and support a passionate and skilled workforce of diverse professionals who make significant positive impacts in the lives of children, families, and communities. Currently located in South King County. This position will report to our Early Learning Program Director.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Kitchen Assistant assists in the operation of the kitchen by performing the following duties. The Kitchen Assistant will cover the front desk as needed by program and in classrooms in the event a teacher is absent.
Typical duties include:
- Team Player: Contributes to the development of communicating mutual respect, mutual support, competence, and creativity among all members of the Head Start & ECEAP
- Communication: Communicates regularly and respectfully with families and staff.
- Kitchen Duties Include: Regularly cleans dishes and runs the dishwasher, preps carts and meals for classrooms, collects carts from classrooms after meals, maintain a clean working kitchen (which includes wiping down all counters, cleaning the refrigerator/freezer/storeroom), stock counters, put groceries away, sweep and mop the kitchen and surrounding area, sanitize the dishwashing and vegetable sink area weekly. Creates a laundry schedule for classrooms that complies with childcare licensing. Washes, folds and delivers clean laundry to the classrooms.
- Collaborates with site team in planning and facilitating family events/meetings. When working with diverse populations, accesses interpreters.
- Record Keeping: Completes and files all necessary paperwork to stay compliant with USDA and CACFP contracts. Complies with all CACFP policies and procedures.
- Family-Style Meal Service: Assists with planning, preparation and serving of snacks and meals; participates in and facilitates mealtime service.
- Professional Development: Participates in in-service staff trainings, staff meetings, and other education opportunities to gain knowledge and skills throughout the year.
- Responsible to keep informed of ongoing program changes and updates.
- Complies with Childhaven policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Interactions with Children/Classroom
- Assists teachers with supervision of children.
- Supervises children 1:1 or in group setting at the direction of a teacher.
- Participates in the implementation of daily curriculum and routine with children, inside and outside.
- Interacts positively with children to support their learning and meet their emotional needs.
- Contributes to the developmentally appropriate and safe preschool environment.
- Interacts with children in a manner appropriate to their age and stage of development.
- Assists teachers with first aid and injury/health forms.
- Diaper’s children and assists with toilet training when requested by lead teacher.
- Assist teachers in setting up and/or cleaning the classroom and activities, including laundry and cleaning toys.
- Assists in maintaining equipment and storing supplies.
- Complies with the agency policy and procedure regarding the identification and reporting of suspected child abuse
- Complies with all Childhaven policies and procedures
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively and relate positively to staff and volunteers in a diverse environment.
- Ability to adjust to varied situations, demands and new instructional concepts.
- Ability to perform basic clerical tasks such as record keeping, filing, typing, copying, etc.
- Ability to attend occasional evening meetings.
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50lbs.
High School diploma/GED. Six months to one-year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Fingerprinting and background check.
- First aid and CPR card within 90 days of hire.
- Food and Beverage Handler’s Permit within 30 days of hire.
- Completion of a one-step Mantoux tuberculosis (TB) skin test, unless there is written proof of one of the following:
- A negative Mantoux TB test in the 12 months prior to hiring.
- Medication therapy to treat TB.
- A recent negative chest X-ray and a statement from a health care provider that the individual does not pose a risk to others.
We strive to make Childhaven a great place to work by living our values: Teamwork, Equity,
Excellence, Dedication, and Respect. Here’s a little bit about what we offer our staff:
- We believe in fully transparent hiring process.
- We offer a comprehensive benefit package including medical, dental and vision insurance. Expanded benefits include a flexible spending account, healthcare reimbursement account, a 403(b) savings program with employer A full listing of benefits is available.
- Opportunities to attend a wide variety of trainings on clinical and education topics, advocacy and more.
- We’re dedicated to serving the full range of cultural diversity in our community, and to providing families with care that’s relevant to them and their As a member of Childhaven staff, you’ll be encouraged to contribute to community engagement strategies and to serve on our Racial Equity Team, which makes ongoing recommendations to ensure that our programs and protocols are doing their part to dismantle systemic racism.