Adolfson & Peterson Construction, one of the nation’s top contractors, is recruiting for an experienced Director Business Development for our Central Texas region (Austin, TX.) We combine more than 75 years of construction expertise with the newest technologies in order to meet our clients' needs. We serve owners, architects, and developers with a commitment to teamwork and quality and are constantly looking for people to help us achieve our company goals.
This position will develop and execute a comprehensive strategy to identify new business, markets, and/or clients in the region while ensuring profitable growth and alignment with the company’s strategic goals and mission.
Because safety is paramount to AP and embedded into everything we do, all team members are responsible for working safely within our Incident and Injury Free culture.
Key Accountabilities of the role include:
- Take personal responsibility for working safely within an Incident and Injury Free (IIF) culture.
- Develop new business through pursuit of strategic targets and relationship building.
- Develop a network for active and quality lead gathering that creates opportunities to prospect, contact, and meet potential clients; build positive relationships.
- Initiate a sales/business development strategy to create and convert opportunities into new business.
- Pursue business opportunities with strategic targets in key industries and cultivating relationships with existing clients.
- Deliver compelling calls and presentations to introduce AP’s capabilities and value proposition.
- Positively demonstrate AP’s mission, vision, value statements, reputation, code of ethics, standards, policies, and procedures internally and throughout the marketplace.
- Plan and oversee sales processes including strategy development, opportunity pursuit, proposal communications, and project negotiation.
- Ensure strategic objectives are understood and executed by the pursuit team.
- Partner with the marketing team to create effective marketing strategies to win in the marketplace, including market segmentation, value proposition development, technology positioning, pricing strategies, branding strategies, channel strategies, and communications strategy development.
- Manage resources within budgetary guidelines according to company policy and within ethical corporate governance guidelines.
- Complete new market research, industry and market competitive analyses, and customer needs assessments to successfully define, test, refine, and implement strategic plans to achieve opportunities for AP’s core business segments.
- Lead internal staff to identify and evaluate new markets and partnership opportunity-specific strategy, selection of pursuit team, and manage the entire sales process.
- Provide marketing expertise and partnership for preparation of bid packages, proposal development, and other marketing priorities.
- Lead research and provide key information for RFPs and presentations; provide comprehensive understanding of the customer needs to the project sales team.
- Provide client specific opportunity assessment, market evaluation, market research, financial evaluation, and other marketing needs required throughout the proposal preparation and delivery process.
- Other duties as assigned.
- History of progressively more responsible leadership experience and proven results including:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, economics, or related discipline and 6+ years of experience with at least 3 years of demonstrated success in selling and developing new business with revenues ranging from $5 million to over $100 million. Experience and familiarity with the A/E/C industry preferred.
- MBA preferred.
- Proficiency using consultative selling approach strategies and techniques.
- Proficiency using CRM databases.
- Significant management experience and strategy development/deployment with a construction firm and experience developing new markets or businesses is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience leading complex sales processes that involve multiple team members and multiple decision makers (primarily at the C-suite level).
- Extensive network of COI’s (Centers of Influence) to include developers, owners and their representatives, architects, engineers, and other professional relationships that can be leveraged to create business opportunities.
- Substantial and broad experience in Business Development or Product Development.
- Demonstrated integrity and ethical standards.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- Experience in a complex business as a driver of growth and change; demonstrated effectiveness in creating leads and converting into sales.
- Capability to identify and capitalize on opportunities quickly; ability to maintain effective balance between strategic and tactical priorities.
- Experience in driving accountability for financial and operational effectiveness, integrating and aligning efforts across units, monitoring results, and tackling problems directly.
- Experience cultivating an active network of relationships, driving collaboration and alignment, relating well to key colleagues, and connecting with employees at all levels.
- Ability to drive to the core of complex issues and provide insightful and constructive feedback.
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance
- Health Savings Account
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Dependent & Medical Reimbursement)
- Paid Time Off (PTO) and Holidays
- Tuition Assistance Program
- Employee Referral Bonus
Adolfson & Peterson Construction is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Certain positions and locations require COVID-19 vaccination, subject to reasonable accommodations for valid medical or sincerely held religious reasons.