Adolfson & Peterson Construction, one of the nation’s top contractors, is recruiting for an experienced Project Manager for projects in the DFW area and throughout Texas. We combine more than 75 years of construction expertise with the newest technologies in order to meet our clients' needs. We serve owners, architects, and developers with a commitment to teamwork and quality and are constantly looking for people to help us achieve our company goals.
This position will manage and control assigned projects, including safety, budgets, contracts, schedules, and trade contractors and supplier coordination while working in conjunction with the Superintendent to lead the project team. Project scopes are generally up to $15 million or for designated components on a large, complex project.
Because safety is paramount to AP and embedded into everything we do, all team members are responsible for working safely within our Incident and Injury Free culture.
Key accountabilities of the role include:
- Take personal responsibility for working safely within an Incident and Injury Free (IIF) culture.
- Provide leadership throughout a project to ensure timely and quality results.
- Review shop drawings, RFI’s, and ASI’s (all change orders) for coordination and implementation of project requirements.
- Work with the Superintendent to prepare and update the detailed construction schedule.
- Lead the project estimate review, start-up, monthly interim, and close out meetings.
- Initiate and review close-out procedures with the project superintendent, owner, and architect before trade contractor work starts; maintain a zero punch list.
- Prepare letters of intent with trade contractors. Manage the trade contract process and all clarification or change issues.
- Ensure a timely submittal process, review, and execution of project changes by the owner and trade contractors.
- Review shop drawings, RFI’s, and ASI’s (all change orders) for coordination and implementation of project requirements; keep project logs (i.e. shop drawings, RFI, ASI, OCO, etc.) updated and current for every progress meeting.
- Manage and monitor material procurement for the project, including submittal approval, fabrication status, and delivery status.
- Work with the Superintendent in adhering to the schedule for early project close-out and final acceptance by the owner.
- Set firm and realistic deadlines so that the procedure and schedule for submittal of O&M manuals, close-out documents, and project warranties are in place before the work is 50% complete.
- Ensure project quality based on AP’s quality management programs.
- Facilitate collaborative team processes among project participants including design team, owners, and subcontractors.
- Lead or attend the weekly site progress meetings held with the owner, design team, and key trade contractors, project estimate reviews, start-up, monthly interim, and close out meetings; generate minutes from the meetings.
- Incorporate project management principles into the proposal process.
- Communicate field/office policies, instructions, and procedures to all project team members, including trade contractor personnel.
- Review project plans for constructability and cost feasibility; complete project risk assessments and prepare scope of work matrices.
- Provide technical expertise on projects in the pre-construction phase.
- Prepare the scope of work matrix for all trade contractor/supplier contracts, construction schedule, and performance expectations including workforce utilization goals prior to the award of the contract.
- Expedite project trade contractor/supplier buy-out; assist in review of bids to ensure that all items are included, exclusions are understood, and the bid is complete and conforms to the specifications before award.
- Draft and/or edit owner and subcontractor contract language.
- Analyze and manage project progress, costs, budgets, and cash flows.
- Create all project cost codes, budgets, and cash flow reports.
- Manage, review, and control all project costs and maintain accurate project cost projections.
- Confirm that total cost budgets, with contingencies, tie to the project contract amount; ensure project budgets are maintained.
- Prepare all monthly pay applications to the owner and ensure timely collection; collect, in accordance with the contract, all invoiced project amounts due from the owner and manage the project’s cash flow.
- Review and approve all trade contractor/supplier payment applications; collect supplier and trade contractor lien waivers to ensure all payments are properly disbursed.
- Prepare final written analysis on project profitability, profit enhancers, profit busters, and project problems for discussion in the close-out meeting and the permanent project records.
- Provide explanations for all significant project cost variances, by cost code, on the Intranet.
- Review the project’s QC plan and ensure compliance; report findings to project team and management.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- History of progressively more responsible leadership experience and proven results including:
- Bachelor’s degree in construction management, architecture, engineering, or related field and 6+ years of experience running construction projects with contract values greater than $5 million. Or, completion of an associate’s degree in construction management and 8+ years of relevant project management experience.
- Proficiency with scheduling, spreadsheets, cost control, and project management software. Prolog, Microsoft Project, P6, Procore, Bluebeam, and other construction programs a plus.
- Solid understanding of value engineering, life cycle costing, and project profit/cost processes.
- Recognition and achievement of high-quality construction standards.
- Thorough experience with multiple contract types under the CMR and Design-Build delivery methods.
- Current or ability to become current with OSHA 30 and company safety requirements.
- Ability to travel. First project is in El Paso, TX.
- Willingness to work in various (sometimes extreme) climate conditions.
- Demonstrated integrity and ethical standards.
- Experience in a complex business as an active participant in driving growth and change; demonstrated effectiveness in driving operations and executing plans.
- Experience in driving accountability for financial and operational effectiveness, integrating and aligning efforts within team, monitoring results, and tackling problems directly.
- Experience cultivating an active network of relationships, driving collaboration and alignment, relating well to colleagues, and connecting with employees at all levels.
- Ability to drive to the core of complex issues and provide insightful and constructive feedback.
- Developed skills (written, oral, and listening) in order to effectively communicate with diverse audiences.
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance
- Health Savings Account
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Dependent & Medical Reimbursement)
- Paid Time Off (PTO) and Holidays
- Tuition Assistance Program
- Employee Referral Bonus
Adolfson & Peterson Construction is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Certain positions and locations require COVID-19 vaccination, subject to reasonable accommodations for valid medical or sincerely held religious reasons.