Reading Partners AmeriCorps Volunteer Coordinator (2022)
Twin Cities, MN
January / February, 2022 - June / July, 2022
Reading Partners is a national literacy nonprofit that engages community volunteers and AmeriCorps service members to support elementary-aged students on their path toward reading proficiency. Our dedicated volunteers come from diverse backgrounds and life experiences and provide bi-weekly one-on-one tutoring to students, either in person or through our new online tutoring system. Our traditional, in-person program is proven to help children master the reading fundamentals necessary to become confident learners across all subjects. In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Reading Partners urgently evolved program delivery to ensure students continue to receive the critical literacy tutoring in any learning environment. Our people are the heart and soul of our organization; we are all passionately engaged in a common mission to help all children become confident, lifelong learners. Reading Partners is also committed to building a culturally competent and representative team to advance social justice through our service in schools and communities. In joining Reading Partners, you'll be part of a stellar team leading the charge to pursue equity in education and expand a research-validated literacy program that works. Join Reading Partners and leave a legacy in schools and communities that will last long beyond an unforgettable and life-changing term of service. Learn more about us at readingpartners.org.
AmeriCorps engages more than 80,000 Americans in intensive service each year at nonprofits, schools, public agencies, and community and faith-based groups across the country. Since the program’s founding in 1994, over 1 million AmeriCorps members have contributed more than 1.4 billion hours in service across America while tackling pressing problems and mobilizing more than 2.3 million volunteers for the organizations they serve.
At Reading Partners we have the opportunity to mobilize 350 AmeriCorps members to serve in various positions across the country. This AmeriCorps service opportunity is supporting and implementing the Reading Partners mission while at the same time exemplifying the AmeriCorps motto of “getting things done.” Reading Partners strives to recruit AmeriCorps members dedicated to a year of service in the community. Read on for more details about our service opportunities!
- All AmeriCorps members, regardless of role, will conduct or perform the essential functions of this role in schools and/or in designated locations where programming may be delivered, such as a Reading Partners regional office or another Reading Partners-approved location where volunteers may be convened to tutor students using our remote tutoring system, unless when under shelter in place orders or if schools/offices are otherwise closed to Reading Partners.
- Should the need exist in the 2021-2022 school year, all AmeriCorps members will be provided with any necessary PPE (personal protective equipment).
- Due to the changing nature of serving in public education, AmeriCorps members may, at any time, be asked to transition to another Reading Partners AmeriCorps position in the same region.
- In the event of a local, state, or federal disaster declaration, AmeriCorps members may be asked on a volunteer basis OR be required by AmeriCorps, the federal agency, or our state AmeriCorps commission to assist in disaster response and recovery activities within their communities. This may involve virtual service opportunities or in-person service opportunities. This may include service opportunities outside of the member’s standard service hours or in place of their standard service duties. Commissions and/or AmeriCorps would provide us with specific guidance as needed in the event of an emergency.
The AmeriCorps Volunteer Coordinator serves as the representative of Reading Partners within the community, leading the charge in recruiting and onboarding volunteer tutors. Volunteer Coordinators also lead in executing community engagement initiatives in the region. No two days are alike for Volunteer Coordinators! Our top Volunteer Coordinators are ambassadors for service, demonstrate an excitement for community/volunteer recruitment and outreach, and strongly believe in our vision and values and are excited to share those with the community. Note that this role may shift as-needed based on how individual school environments shift given Covid-19.
What you’ll do and how you’ll do it:
Volunteer Recruitment and Engagement
Lead Reading Partners’ efforts to recruit, onboard and train volunteer tutors to deliver our curriculum.
- As a face of Reading Partners in the community, Volunteer Coordinators demonstrate an ability to communicate our mission, vision, and volunteer opportunities throughout the region. Volunteer Coordinators can successfully tailor their recruiting pitches to different audiences and demonstrate a high level of comfort with public speaking. Identifying and implementing effective recruitment strategies is a significant component of the Volunteer Coordinator role, as onboarding tutors (including delivery of our tutor orientation). Volunteer Coordinators also lead the creation and execution of retention strategies, planning for and hosting volunteer recognition events, and developing ways to appreciate partnerships.
Partnership Cultivation and Management
Cultivate and manage a portfolio of community partners that serve as pipelines for Reading Partners’ tutor recruitment efforts.
- We believe volunteers get results; our program can’t run without our volunteer reading partners! A self-starting individual will thrive best in this role, as Volunteer Coordinators must balance a variety of responsibilities, including partnership research and cultivation to broaden the volunteer base, maximizing existing partnerships, and providing marketing support to the region.
Data entry & database management
Track new and returning volunteers through the process of becoming active volunteers
- Stellar organizational skills are a must for accurate tutor and partnership record tracking, data management through Salesforce, and supporting the high volume of volunteer tutor calls and emails.
- Complete weekly data auditing and consistent communication with volunteers to ensure a timely and positive experience for all volunteers.
You’ll be successful in this role if you:
- Are dedicated to national and community service
- Root your service in our vision & values
- Can problem-solve through challenges and failures
- Are flexible given the ever-changing environment of serving in public schools, and are adaptable in both work style and work environment
- Understand this position is an AmeriCorps service commitment
- Are dedicated to successfully completing a full term of service.
- Demonstrate a passion for working with children
- Possess a natural ability to connect with people
- Are eager for a dynamic schedule
- Pay strong attention to detail and manage competing priorities effectively
- Boast a deep belief in and passionately promote our mission
- Demonstrate a love for relationship-building and public speaking
- Demonstrate an eagerness to train and manage volunteers
- Take initiative in meeting goals and seeking professional growth
- Can quickly learn new technology systems like Salesforce and have a high level of comfort with Google Apps and Zoom Conferencing
- Possess a high school diploma or GED
- Hold US Citizenship or Permanent Resident Status
- Have not completed more than three (3) prior AmeriCorps or VISTA service terms
Bonus Points if you:
- Are an AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alum/alumna
- Have experience volunteering with other community-based or education programs
What we offer:
- AmeriCorps members earn a living allowance totaling $10,285.80
- AmeriCorps members are eligible for medical, dental, and vision coverage at no cost for our members; childcare assistance is available through AmeriCorps for those who qualify.
- Eligible AmeriCorps members can earn an education award of $3,172.50 after successfully completing their service term
- You may be eligible for student loan forbearance on federal student loans.
- We offer an exciting and dynamic culture, and we commit to investing in and supporting our amazing people to grow their careers with us. As such, we provide ongoing professional development opportunities such as quarterly AmeriCorps webinars, monthly trainings, and networking opportunities.
- We offer scaffolded support to help navigate these and other service benefits
The Other Things You Need To Know:
- Service Terms: AmeriCorps members serve full-time (approximately 40 hours/week) from January or February, 2022 through June or July, 2022 and must commit to a service term of 900+ hours.
- Commuting: Volunteer Coordinators are constantly traveling throughout the community, and need reliable transportation to attend partnership meetings, career fairs, and other events. AmeriCorps members also make occasional trips to regional offices and service day events.
- National Days of Service: AmeriCorps members at Reading Partners join thousands of other members across the country to serve each year on 9/11, MLK Day, and during AmeriCorps Week. This is another opportunity to participate in the service movement across the country, and to directly support our communities in a variety of service projects.
- Reading Partners AmeriCorps Vaccination & Testing Policy: In the interest of keeping our students, AmeriCorps members, staff, and community safe, all members serving in school and community based roles are required to mask when in-person and are strongly encouraged to receive the COVID-19 vaccine unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and approved. Members who are vaccinated are able to serve in person immediately, provided they comply with the organization and service site’s mask requirements. Members who are not vaccinated, but will be serving in-person, will be asked to be vaccinated or submit to regular weekly COVID-19 testing. Individual districts may have additional COVID-19 requirements that AmeriCorps members must also abide by.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Position will remain posted until filled. No phone inquiries. If you have any questions at all about this role, AmeriCorps, our program, the region, or any of the next steps, please don't hesitate to email email@example.com!