LEHMAN-ROBERTS COMPANY - A PROUD TRADITION SINCE 1939
Our history goes back to 1939 when W. E. Lehman and George B. Roberts bought the Mississippi and Memphis operations of Carey-Reed Company, a company started by Mr. Roberts’ brother-in-law in 1907. The new Lehman-Roberts Company located their first asphalt plant and office on Front Street in downtown Memphis. The headquarters moved to the 1111 Wilson Street address in 1943 and remained there until its recent move to 670 S. Cooper in September 2019. In 1971, the company became affiliated with Memphis Stone and Gravel Company through common ownership.
Still a family-owned business, Patrick Nelson leads as President in our dedication to the manufacturing of quality hot mix asphalt and the superior placement of that pavement. Anchoring our company's efforts are the core values of stewardship, humility, continuous improvement and relationships. With manufacturing facilities throughout West Tennessee and North Mississippi, Lehman-Roberts Company specializes in construction projects ranging from commercial parking lots to miles of interstate highway paving throughout the Mid-South.
We have committed to become a leader in the highway construction and aggregate industries by rewarding our most valuable resource... our employees! As part of the family, we offer:
- Paid Vacations
- 6 Paid Holidays
- Earned Paid Time Off
- Medical/ Dental (reduced premium cost with participation in Wellness Program)
- Life Insurance
- 401K w/ Company Match
- Profit Sharing
- Flexible Spending Account
- Additional Voluntary Life Insurance, Short/ Long Term Disability and Vision
Asphalt Front-End Loader Review
Front-End Loader Operator’s primary function is to operate all sizes of loaders assisting with all aspect of the grading operation. The position is also extended to provide assistance to the labor crew and basic equipment maintenance. The job is performed outdoors with exposure to all weather conditions and extreme temperatures.
Asphalt Front-End Loader Responsibilities
- Properly follow company policies including OSHA regulations and company Safety Program requirements to ensure safe working environment.
- Operate all heavy equipment in a safe and efficient way according to policies and procedures
- Perform daily safety and maintenance checks and advise the supervisor/shop of any requirements for maintenance or repairs
- Clean heavy equipment as scheduled and/or required and ensure heavy equipment is safely and securely stored.
- Maintain inventory.
- Follow instructions from crew foremen, leaders, managers, state DOT inspectors, auditors and officials.
- Follow directions of foreman as to daily tasks and expectations for each specific job site.
- Learn and exhibit company core values, resulting in a cooperative, positive and supportive attitude.
- Work collaboratively as a team with foreman, fellow crew members and management.
Asphalt Front-End Loader Requirements
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Must be authorized to work anywhere in the U.S. without sponsorship now or in the future.
- Must pass a "fit-for-duty" physical exam and full panel drug screen.
- Valid unrestricted driver’s license required.
- Minimum of 2-Years of experience operating a front-end loader.
- Must have working knowledge of basic equipment maintenance.
- Willingness and ability to work varied schedules day, night, and/or weekend that meet Lehman-Roberts Company’s customer needs.
- Willingness to work outdoors in extreme conditions, including hot, cold, high noise levels, and exposure to dust and fumes and able to sit/ stand 8-12 hours in the extreme conditions.
- Must be able to understand work directions and communicate effectively with job site supervisors and fellow employees.
- Experience with asphalt paving preferred, but not required.
Work Conditions/ Physical Requirements
- Climb in and out, on and off equipment.
- Lift, carry and hold heavy materials, tools, and supplies on and off equipment.
- Combination of sit, walk and stand for long periods of time and perform strenuous physical labor under adverse field conditions.
- May assist with leveling asphalt/aggregate to grade specifications using rakes, shovels, and trowels.
- May dig, spread, level, and remove construction materials. May require lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Accurately and regularly complete site checks and monitor traffic behavior and/or flow to ensure that safety is always maintained.
- Be alert and aware of everything going on around the construction area, consistently following safe work practices.
- Be able to tolerate a loud environment.
- Be able to follow and comprehend road traffic diagrams, regulations, and instructions.
Relatable Work Experience: Applicants with the following experience may have enough relatable skills to be considered for this opening.
- Front-End Loader in Construction Industry
- Army- Horizontal Construction Engineer
- Navy- Construction Equipment Operator
- Marine Corps Engineer- Equipment Operator
- Air Force- Pavements and Construction Equipment
- Must understand SAFETY and be committed:
- To the health and safety of all employees, subcontractors, customers, and the community;
- To promoting a comprehensive safety culture;
- To individual accountability for following our safety standards; and
- To actively support and participate in a zero accident environment.
- Must be committed to learning the meaning of the company CORE VALUES, as well as their application to the specific, daily duties of the job:
- Humility – freedom from arrogance with a genuine respect for others and their perspectives.
- Relationships – giving priority to people and teamwork over processes.
- Stewardship – taking personal responsibility for the proper care and sharing of company assets.
- Continuous Improvement – committed to being open-minded, growing and learning.
- Must learn the principles of TOTAL PROCESS RELIABILITY (TPR) and implement them into the daily work routine, in order to contribute to maximum equipment reliability, increased production and reduced maintenance costs.
It is the policy of Lehman-Roberts Company not to discriminate against any applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex (to include pregnancy and sexual orientation), gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, or because he or she is a protected veteran or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
The statements included in this job posting are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Lehman-Roberts Company and/or the Memphis Stone & Gravel Company and their designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.