The Jamar Company is seeking a team-oriented, detailed and collaborative individual to fill an Estimator position with our plumbing and mechanical construction department. This individual will develop cost-focused solutions to help our customers by aligning budgets with project requirements and creating cost savings that will positively impact the business. The ideal candidate is looking to work with the leading mechanical contractor in the region, building relationships, interacting with customers and providing RFP information to help develop and grow our client base. This person has initiative, self-discipline and a strong work ethic – and this role provides an exciting opportunity for someone interested in growing their career with Jamar.
The Estimator is responsible for the design and estimation of services in the Commercial department and will translate customer drawings and specifications to create internal job documentation including models, drawings, bill of materials, ERP system, and process instructions. This position will communicate directly with the Project Management Team, to facilitate timely completion of projects. This position will be required to prepare conceptual budgetary project cost, as well as detailed construction cost estimates by analyzing plans and specifications. This role requires accuracy and attention to detail.
- A.A.S. Degree in Mechanical/Civil Drafting or equivalent field of study.
- Working knowledge of BIM, AutoCAD, Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Office Suite, Blue Beam, Trimble AutoBid and Revit.
- Minimum one year of professional experience in estimation/computer estimating.
- Prefer experience in commercial/mechanical estimating.
- Ability to work fulltime in the Duluth, MN office.
- Excellent organization and time management experience; able to manage multiple projects at one time, meeting and exceeding established deadlines.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work with the Department Manager to investigate and make recommendations to review and identify opportunities to create efficiencies, cost savings and customer value enhancements.
- Conceptualize, design and communicate successfully in CAD and Revit, using current industry standards; ensure that drawings and designs are in accordance with company production and design standards.
- Perform a wide range of drafting tasks; responsible for maintaining accurate design and drawing archives and revision history in an organized manner.
- Develop equipment drawings, schedules, submittals, material lists, material ordering and verification and as-built drawings.
- Communicate frequently with project team members including architects, engineers, and project managers.
- Coordinate multiple projects, in various stages of design, to successful completion.
- Provide solutions for customers on service and projects.
- Assist project managers and design engineer team during all project phases.
- Provide complex cost estimates and proposals.
- Evaluate offers to purchase by costing changes, additions and site requirements.
- Prepare paperwork as required (PO’s, submittals, etc.)
- Maintain task list to prioritize workflow.
- Work with field, other trades, and customers collaboratively.
- Accountable for proper pre-planning and coordination with customer and field staff
- Visit construction sites as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Possess a strong attention to detail.
- Ability to complete detailed written records and reports.
- Ability to prioritize work and complete projects on time.
- Ability to effectively communicate with multiple departments, team members and clients.
About us: For more than 100 years, the Jamar Company has built a reputation as an expert specialty contractor. We have a history of proven success in solving difficult challenges for our industrial and commercial customers. The Jamar Company is headquartered in Duluth, MN with office locations in Arden Hills and Shakopee, MN, Eau Claire, Green Bay and Spooner, WI, Bismarck and Watford City, ND and Mountain View, WY. https://www.jamarcompany.com/
We offer: a competitive salary and excellent benefits including Health, Vision & Dental Insurance, 401K Program (with company contribution), Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Short and Long-Term Disability, Paid Time Off, Holidays, and Training/ Continuing Educational Opportunities. Compensation commensurate with experience.