Memphis Stone & Gravel Company – Managing Earth’s Resources For Over 100 Years.
Memphis Stone & Gravel Company is a family owned and operated aggregate supplier to Memphis and the Mid-South. In business since 1910, Memphis Stone & Gravel Company has earned a reputation for supplying outstanding construction materials to the markets it serves. Anchoring our company's efforts are the core values of stewardship, humility, continuous improvement and relationships. We have continued to protect lands we mine all the while restoring resources to productive and beautiful uses after mining.
Our products include high quality fine and coarse aggregate for ready-mixed concrete and asphalt concrete. We process a variety of sand products, road base materials, shoulder gravel, clay gravel, landscape rock, drainage rock and pea gravel.
Hours of shift: First shift; Monday-Friday; occasional Saturdays.
We have committed to become a leader in the highway construction and aggregate industries by rewarding our most valuable resource... our employees! As part of the family, we offer:
- Paid Vacations and Holidays
- Earned Paid Time Off
- Medical/ Dental/ Vision
- 401K w/ Company Match
- Profit Sharing
- Flexible Spending Account
- Life Insurance
- Additional Voluntary Life Insurance, Short/ Long Term Disability
Environmental Lead-Driller Review
Assists Exploration and Planning Supervisor-Geologist with day-to-day tasks associated with exploration of sand and gravel deposits and compliance with environmental regulations. Maintains good relationships with other company employees, landowners, and regulatory government officials. Serves as team leader for either the prospecting or environmental crews. Assists in activities concerned with exploratory drilling, environmental maintenance, permitting, and deposit analysis.
Environmental Lead-Driller Responsibilities
- Perform drilling tasks as required by the demand of the work environment with emphasis on operating drilling equipment. Ensures equipment is in safe working condition and conducts routine and preventative maintenance.
- Performs environmental compliance monitoring duties in specific program specialties, such as air and water pollution elimination. Occasional environmental duties as required by permitting.
- Manages the work of the drill/environmental crew and manages safety training compliance.
- Logging geologic information and interpreting geologic and/or topographical maps.
- Assists with exploration sample analysis, (i.e. gradations, specific gravity, etc.).
- Performs surveying and GPS tasks as used in the sand and gravel industry..
- Writes, types, or enters information into database and prepares correspondence.
- Maintains records, publishes reports and documents relative to drilling data.
- Analyzes test data and reports, interprets and makes recommendations to management for action(s) related to exploration.
Environmental Lead-Driller Requirements
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Possess a valid driver’s license with acceptable driving record and dependable transportation. Must be able to drive in TN and MS.
- Must pass a “fit-for-duty” physical exam and drug screen.
- Must be punctual and dependable and show ability and to work in a team environment.
- Experience with CME 550X preferred, but not required.
- Mechanically inclined and operationally proficient with drilling equipment preferred; tractor and bush hogging, skid-steer, and testing equipment preferred.
- Experience in the mining industry, particularly in the areas of prospecting and/or surveying, preferred.
- Knowledge of environmental rules pertaining to the mining industry, preferred.
- Hold CDL or be able to obtain one within the first 6 months of employment by MSG
- Education and/or Experience: High School Diploma or equivalent required; 3- 5 years related experience;
- Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry. Basic trigonometry skills are preferred for surveying.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, and individual should have basic computer skills. These basic skills would include: the ability to navigate the operating system of a desk-top computer system; knowledge of commonly used programs such as Outlook, Excel, Word, and Internet Explorer. Experience with CAD or other mining/engineering/GIS software would be helpful but not required, and training in those advance types of software may be provided if needed.
Work Environment/ Physical Demands
- Regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- Regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes, airborne particles, and outside weather conditions.
- The employee is frequently exposed to extreme heat, cold, and vibration. The employee is exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; high, precarious places; toxic or caustic chemicals.
- The employee may also encounter wild animals, dangerous insects, poisonous plants and other hazards associated with a rugged natural outdoor working environment.
Relatable Work Experience: Applicants with the following experience may have enough relatable skills to be considered for this opening.
- Driller for Geotechnical or Environmental Drilling industry
- Driller Assistant/ Helper
- Heavy Equipment Maintenance Tech
- Geotechnical field work
- Land Surveyor Helper/ Assistant
- Mining/ Construction/ Field Lead
- Military- Construction
- Must understand SAFETY and be committed:
- To the health and safety of all employees, subcontractors, customers, and the community;
- To promoting a comprehensive safety culture;
- To individual accountability for following our safety standards; and
- To actively support and participate in a zero accident environment.
- Must be committed to learning the meaning of the company CORE VALUES, as well as their application to the specific, daily duties of the job:
- Humility – freedom from arrogance with a genuine respect for others and their perspectives.
- Relationships – giving priority to people and teamwork over processes.
- Stewardship – taking personal responsibility for the proper care and sharing of company assets.
- Continuous Improvement – committed to being open-minded, growing and learning.
It is the policy of Memphis Stone & Gravel Company not to discriminate against any applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex (to include pregnancy and sexual orientation), gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, or because he or she is a protected veteran or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
The statements included in this job posting are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Lehman-Roberts Company and/or the Memphis Stone & Gravel Company and their designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-hire drug testing.