Adolfson & Peterson Construction, one of the nation’s top contractors, is recruiting for an experienced Estimator for projects in our Southwest region. We combine more than 75 years of construction expertise with the newest technologies in order to meet our clients' needs. We serve owners, architects, and developers with a commitment to teamwork and quality and are constantly looking for people to help us achieve our company goals.
This position provides detailed conceptual estimates from pre-construction schematic and design documents and detailed construction estimates from construction plans and specifications. Project scopes are generally less than $50 million or for designated components on large, complex projects.
Because safety is paramount to AP and embedded into everything we do, all team members are responsible for working safely within our Incident and Injury Free culture.
Key Accountabilities of the role include:
- Take personal responsibility for working safely within an Incident and Injury Free (IIF) culture.
- Prepare bids, conceptual cost models, and budgets; perform quantitative analyses of construction documents and project program requirements for projects assigned.
- Monitor field production to establish data base pricing. Quantify bid take-offs.
- Complete pricing and quantify take-offs for scopes of work and assigned bids. Review pricing and take-offs prior to pre-bids. Set up bid spreadsheets.
- Review plans and specs. Assemble accurate general conditions costs.
- Prepare documents for bid day including owner bid docs, insurance/bonding, schedules, timeframes, etc.
- Create and organize scope comparisons of subcontractor and vendor bids.
- Prepare back-up documentation.
- Participate in the buyout process.
- Provide technical guidance on constructability, schedule, phasing, and staffing.
- Review plans and specs. Understand and apply constructability of project to the estimate format and costing. Discuss and establish bid strategies, concerns, and advantages.
- Collaborate with Senior Estimators to set goals in assigned area for percentage of award, accuracy of takeoffs, completeness of scopes, coverage, etc.
- Identify and recommend functional procedure and policy changes.
- Make recommendations about the selection of subcontractors upon notice of award.
- Build subcontractor and supplier relationships; facilitate bids and presentations.
- Establish work scopes for subcontractors. Define major or priority subcontractors and suppliers.
- Monitor coverage and solicit new subcontractors. Develop existing subcontractor relationships.
- Solicit suppliers for bids.
- Build and facilitate collaborative team processes among project participants.
- Attend pre-construction proposals.
- Provide team leadership for assigned project bid closings.
- Correspond with design teams and engineers during the bid process.
- Attend and participate in industry and subcontractor events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- History of experience and proven results including:
- Bachelor’s degree in construction management, architecture, engineering, or related field required and 4+ years of related experience or completion of an Associate degree and 5+ years of related experience.
- Proficient in detailed estimate organization and take-off including being well versed in conceptual estimating/schematic estimating.
- General understanding of standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the construction field.
- Strong familiarity with project schedules and durations for various types of facilities.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office including Excel and familiarity with estimating software.
- Demonstrated integrity and ethical standards.
- Strong analytical and logic skills with the ability to maintain a high degree of precision on detailed work.
- Developed skills (written, oral, and listening) to effectively communicate with diverse audiences.
- Ability to efficiently manage multiple projects and priorities simultaneously under time constraints.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build successful and lasting relationships.
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance
- Health Savings Account
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Dependent & Medical Reimbursement)
- Paid Time Off (PTO) and Holidays
- Tuition Assistance Program
- Employee Referral Bonus
Adolfson & Peterson Construction is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Certain positions and locations require COVID-19 vaccination, subject to reasonable accommodations for valid medical or sincerely held religious reasons.