Western States Fire Protection (WSFP) and its subsidiaries are more than a company. We are a family of unique individuals committed to our purpose, our values, and each other. And we believe in making our own luck, creating our own opportunities. WSFP accomplishes this by constantly innovating, finding ways to create new value and seizing new opportunities.
Protecting lives and property since 1985, WSFP and its subsidiaries specializes in Life Safety Systems. Our values are simple: integrity, quality, safety, professionalism, commitment.
What we offer:
- Health, Life, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Flex Spending (FSA) (Cafeteria Plan)
- 401(k) Plan
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Profit Sharing Plan
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Paid Holidays
This position is responsible for planning and directing the accomplishment of the design department objectives, as well as performing a wide variety of duties required to maintain the efficient, day to day operations of direct reports of the department within the office. The Design Manager should be a self-starter possessing time management, scheduling, sales, staff management and leadership skills and experience. This individual will both perform and oversee the performance of design, coordination, and project management for fire sprinkler and fire alarm systems.
The Designer Manager holds overall management responsibility for all aspects of fire protection construction projects from conception through systems functioning as intended. He/she will oversee or conduct scheduling, planning, actual construction, expediting, inspection, quality control, and total delivery of the project according to established criteria. He/she is responsible for tracking, forecasting, and communicating all costs, profits, and financial measures of the project. Through coordination with the site superintendent, this person will organize and manage all the elements involved in construction - labor, temporary and permanent materials, equipment, supplies, utilities, and time.
- General oversight and development of project managers/designers through mentoring, training, and review of design and submittals.
- Review construction contract documents and coordinate with sub-contractors and General Contractor/owner to gather the required information to design the project’s sprinkler system
- Through use of analytical thinking and problem solving, determine construction feasibility and systems possibilities
- Create detailed drawings through extensive use of AutoCAD, AutoSprink, or HydraCAD type programs
- Create stock list for all material required throughout the project
- Perform hydraulic calculations
- Develop initial schedules for preliminary project work
- Maintain design historical records and historical records for all functions for future use
- Maintain an orderly departmental environment, including making sure the team members are maintaining departmental records and file systems in accordance with the divisional directives.
- Develop positive and ongoing relationships with customers to ensure company is meeting customers’ expectations
- Coordinate with other departments within office to ensure proper handover of job information
- Conduct long range project planning and scheduling
- Monitor and manage projects to comply with safety, quality, productivity, and profitability requirements
- Directly manage field labor force of assigned project to assure maximum productivity
- Track employee hours and crew mix rates for each project
- Ensure proper staffing is in place on each project
- Identify changes in projects that impact cost, schedule, or labor requirements
- Make sure change orders/change estimates are completed in timely manner
- Monitor project billings for accuracy and maintenance of a positive cash flow
- Continually monitor progress of projects; review reports to ensure compliance with schedule and budgetary guidelines
- Assist/lead during field check stage of the project
- Forecast future manpower requirements
- Oversee work of subcontractors
- Ensure work complies with codes and permits
- Administer construction contracts, approve work quality and payment requests
- Report to owner and general contractor about progress and any necessary modifications required
- Recommend improvements in project management procedures and overall company business practices
- Construction Management, Mechanical Engineering degree or applicable other degree from a technical school or college
- Minimum of five years experience in Fire Sprinkler Design
- NICET Level 2 or higher required
- Demonstrated ability with AutoCAD, AutoSprink, HydraCAD, or other specialized fire sprinkler layout software
- Proven ability and track record of performing work in a timely manner and meeting deadlines
- Supervisory experience
- Must be detail-oriented and skilled in free hand and mechanical lettering and drawings
- Ability to coordinate and work well with others
- Excellent communication skills-written and verbal
- Ability to travel overnight if needed
- Must be able to pass a post-offer drug test, background and reference check
All qualified applicants with Western States Fire Protection Company will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin or status as a qualified individual with a disability or protected veteran.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor