LEHMAN-ROBERTS COMPANY - A PROUD TRADITION SINCE 1939
Our history goes back to 1939 when W. E. Lehman and George B. Roberts bought the Mississippi and Memphis operations of Carey-Reed Company, a company started by Mr. Roberts’ brother-in-law in 1907. The new Lehman-Roberts Company located their first asphalt plant and office on Front Street in downtown Memphis. The headquarters moved to the 1111 Wilson Street address in 1943 and remained there until its recent move to 670 S. Cooper in September 2019. In 1971, the company became affiliated with Memphis Stone and Gravel Company through common ownership.
Still a family-owned business, Patrick Nelson leads as President in our dedication to the manufacturing of quality hot mix asphalt and the superior placement of that pavement. Anchoring our company's efforts are the core values of stewardship, humility, continuous improvement and relationships. With manufacturing facilities throughout West Tennessee and North Mississippi, Lehman-Roberts Company specializes in construction projects ranging from commercial parking lots to miles of interstate highway paving throughout the Mid-South.
We have committed to become a leader in the highway construction and aggregate industries by rewarding our most valuable resource... our employees! As part of the family, we offer:
- Paid Vacations/ Holidays/ Paid Time Off
- Medical/ Dental
- Life Insurance
- 401K w/ Company Match
- Profit Sharing
- Flexible Spending Account
- Additional Voluntary Life Insurance, Short/ Long Term Disability and Vision
Lowboy Driver Review
Responsible for safely and efficiently operating lowboy tractor trailers moving heavy road construction equipment ranging from asphalt pavers, trackhoes, shuttle buggies, dozers, etc.
Lowboy Driver Responsibilities
- Responsible for the safe loading and unloading of construction and paving equipment
- Perform daily safety checks of fluid levels on oil, water, fuel and inspections for leaks and damage to vehicle prior to operation
- Responsible for notifying supervisor if vehicle needs to be repaired
- Ability to calculate weights of equipment with truck/trailer combo to stay within DOT permitting restrictions and guidelines
- Perform incidental work items and duties included within other crafts
- Maintain constant alertness to the multiple concurrent activities of the construction site, including the activities of other employees and contractors, the operation of stationary equipment, and the movement of mobile equipment.
Lowboy Driver Requirements
- Must be at least 21 years of age, have valid Class A CDL with good driving record, ability to drive in MS and TN.
- Must successfully pass pre-employment (post offer) drug screen, background, motor vehicle records check and DOT physical.
- Requires versatility. Must be able to work 40+ hours per week (overtime, nights, and weekends as needed.) Must be available as "On Call" when needed.
- Monday through Friday, overtime and some Saturday/Sunday duty will be necessary.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in moving heavy construction equipment.
- Drive truck equipped with different trailer combinations. Experience as a heavy hauler and then as an oversized hauler.
- Must possess a basic equipment operation and maintenance knowledge, required
- Must be able to understand work directions and communicate effectively with job site supervisors and fellow employees.
- Experience with airbrakes and standard transmission, preferred
- Must comply with all USDOT & FMCSA safety regulations and have a commitment to and focus on safety in all aspects.
Work Conditions/ Physical Requirements
- Must be able to work safely and efficiently in a fast-paced environment in challenging situations and locations.
- Must have the ability and be willing to work outside in extreme weather conditions.
- Climb in and out, on and off equipment.
- Must be able and willing to walk, stand for long periods of time and perform strenuous physical labor including lifting items at least as heavy as 50 pounds.
- Manual dexterity to secure cargo utilizing chains and load binding devices on equipment
- Be able to tolerate a loud environment.
- Must understand SAFETY and be committed:
- To the health and safety of all employees, subcontractors, customers, and the community;
- To promoting a comprehensive safety culture;
- To individual accountability for following our safety standards; and
- To actively support and participate in a zero accident environment.
- Must be committed to learning the meaning of the company CORE VALUES, as well as their application to the specific, daily duties of the job:
- Humility – freedom from arrogance with a genuine respect for others and their perspectives.
- Relationships – giving priority to people and teamwork over processes.
- Stewardship – taking personal responsibility for the proper care and sharing of company assets.
- Continuous Improvement – committed to being open-minded, growing and learning.
- Must learn the principles of TOTAL PROCESS RELIABILITY (TPR) and implement them into the daily work routine, in order to contribute to maximum equipment reliability, increased production and reduced maintenance costs.
It is the policy of Lehman-Roberts Company not to discriminate against any applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex (to include pregnancy and sexual orientation), gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, or because he or she is a protected veteran or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
The statements included in this job posting are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Lehman-Roberts Company and/or the Memphis Stone & Gravel Company and their designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-hire drug testing.