Simon Group Holdings traces its roots to 1985 and the founding of Atlas Oil by Sam Simon. Simon Group Holdings operates as a holding company with a portfolio of businesses ranging from oil and gas distribution, oil field services, transportation and logistics, private equity, real estate investment and lending and technology start-ups. By operating under a “management first” philosophy, Simon Group Holdings has successfully built the very best industry leadership and operational management teams, ensuring that the companies continue to grow. The company remains dedicated to six core values: Passion, Collaborative Innovation, Customer Focus, Solution Driven, Do the Right Thing, and Pride & Image. These values have provided the guiding principles for Simon Group Holdings to continue to grow and successfully operate a number of businesses.
Simon Group Holdings offers its employees a full benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision options. We also offer life insurance, 401k that includes a company match and paid time off. In addition to that, we offer tuition reimbursement to assist our team members in their professional development.
If you are driven to be the best you can be and are looking for an organization to match your high standards, look no further!
The Corporate Counsel will have responsibility for representing the Company and its operating affiliates and subsidiaries in a broad variety of transactional matters, including drafting and negotiation of commercial and real estate contracts, leading negotiations, advising on contract enforcement and disputes, providing contract risk mitigation strategies and contract maintenance and administration. The position will have significant interaction with management and will provide legal support on various business ventures, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, human resources matters, trademark/patent protection and risk management strategies.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
- Provide hands-on legal advice on customer, supplier and vendor negotiations, strategies and contract risk mitigation.
- Draft and negotiate commercial contracts with customers, suppliers and vendors.
- Advise on contract enforcement, disputes, terminations and transitions.
- Draft real estate purchase and sale agreements, land contracts and leases; handle real estate closings and cashouts.
- Develop and maintain form documents to streamline transactions; collaborate with the business team to provide legal support for an efficient contracting process.
- Support and promote compliance of policies and procedures.
- Perform general corporate governance duties and responsibilities.
- Support merger and acquisition and joint venture activities.
- Identify and advise on legal and business risks associated with business opportunities, including compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Support the Assistant General Counsel on the Company’s risk management strategies.
- Manage and maintain trademarks and patents.
- Oversee outside counsel as needed.
- Develop a thorough understanding of and familiarity with the Company’s business, its people, markets, facilities, customers and competitors.
- Work with Human Resources on employment matters.
- Manages various projects and deadlines.
REQUIRED EDUCATION/ CERTIFICATIONS
- Juris Doctor Degree
- Must be eligible for admission to the Michigan Bar and become a member following employment
- Strong academic credentials.
- Minimum three years’ legal experience in relevant areas with a law firm or in-house practice.
- Strong technical lawyer with excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Self-starter and ability to work quickly and efficiently, well organized, able to prioritize and manage numerous projects under deadline pressure.
- Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Strategic thinker with strong business acumen and focused on giving practical client advice on legal risks within a business context.
- Able to discreetly handle highly confidential matters.
- Proven experience effectively interacting with senior executive level personnel and corporate officers.
- The highest degree of professionalism is required.
- Ability to develop knowledge of laws and regulations applicable to various business functions of Simon Group Holdings
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Simon Group Holdings provides equal employment opportunities to all team members and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, weight and height or military status, in accordance with applicable federal laws.