Ellis Fire Suppression, Inc. , a subsidiary of Davis-Ulmer Sprinkler Company, was established in 2005 and is based in N. Billerica, MA. We are a full-service contractor for the New England area, specializing in both water-based and chemical suppression systems, as well as fire alarms and extinguishers. Ellis has an on-site fabrication shop and 24-hour emergency response team. Our dedicated team is committed to providing excellence in fire protection.
As a result of continued growth, we are seeking a Design Trainee to join our branch.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Reads, interprets building construction documents such as drawings, specifications and other contract documents
- Prepares equipment stock lists and fabrication lists for fabrication of fire protection piping and hangers and purchases material as necessary
- Surveys existing buildings for accurate, economical installation of fire protection systems
- Works closely with Design Manager, Sr. Designer, Project Managers, field staff and other employees throughout the company
- Generates Request for Information Forms (RFI’s), test certificates and Operation and Maintenance Manuals (O&M’s)
- Attends Project Manager meetings as necessary
- Attends related training classes, courses and seminars as requested by supervisor
- Other duties as assigned
- This position does not have any supervisory responsibilities; however, the Designer may be required to assist Design Trainees and field personnel when required.
- Good oral, written and telephone communication skills
- Strong customer service skills
- Moderate to advanced computer skills
- Time management, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to read & analyze building construction documents
- Good mathematical skills
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma / GED required
- Associate’s degree preferred with an Engineering degree a plus
- CAD experience preferred
- Previous experience in Fire Protection Systems design or equivalent combination of experience and education
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Valid Driver's License
- NICET certifications preferred
PHYSICAL DEMANDS and WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Office environment – moderate noise
- Construction job sites – moderate to heavy noise, uneven ground, may be subject to heights
- Ability to maneuver in restricted, poorly lit spaces
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds at times
- May be required to climb ladders up to 6 feet
- Depth perception (three-dimensional vision, ability to judge distances and spatial relationships)
LIMITATIONS and QUALIFICATIONS:
All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying the position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with Federal and State Laws.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment remains on an “at-will” basis.
Davis-Ulmer and its subsidiaries are affirmative action and equal opportunity employers, and do not discriminate on the basis of any legally protected status or characteristic. Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran