Finding the right fit:
We are seeking a dynamic individual to join our team! As an employee-owned company, our people are our central asset, and we are dedicated to making sure our professionals have every opportunity to thrive. We bring together exciting opportunities, a supportive environment, competitive compensation, and a commitment to training. Our transportation division is looking for a confident and accountable transportation construction engineer who has the skill set to serve as a resident engineer, oversee multiple projects, the diligence to represent our clients, and the professional acumen to collaborate with construction contractors.
As a construction engineer, you’ll play a vital role in overseeing the success of projects. You’ll be expected to operate independently, identify problems, and exercise appropriate judgement to confirm projects are completed accurately, on time, and on budget. Your leadership and strong communication skills will poise you to build strong teams that understand the value and impact of the work. You’ll be encouraged to think strategically about growing the transportation construction workload and be presented with opportunities for client contact and business development. This position may include short-term assignments, working on projects located near, and managed out of, other Ayres Associates’ offices as part of our work-sharing practices.
On any given day, you’ll:
- Take the lead in successfully identifying, marketing, and winning transportation construction management projects from clients including WisDOT, Counties, municipalities, and private sector clients.
- Assist with the preparation and negotiation of contract documents.
- Serve as resident engineer for transportation related construction projects.
- Manage clients.
- Manage projects and support staff overseeing the completion of all project work, ensuring that the work is produced on schedule, profitably, and in conformance with the quality standards of Ayres Associates and requirements of the contract.
- Build and maintain respectful working relationships with fellow employee owners and leaders within the company.
- Support and participate in the development and mentorship of staff.
- Perform construction engineering duties that include field layout of projects, quantity verification, record keeping, contractor pay estimate and contract modification preparation, construction meetings, materials acceptance and testing, WisDOT finals, QA/QC process, and general inspection.
- Assist with the design and plan production of transportation related projects.
- Actively engage in local, statewide, and/or national professional organizations.
- Participate in office-wide, social events.
- A bachelor’s degree in civil engineering with an emphasis in transportation or construction.
- Registered professional engineer (PE) in the state of Wisconsin or ability to become one within 6 months.
- 5 to 10 years of construction experience on roads and/or bridges.
- Willingness to travel out of town for periods of time for various construction projects.
- A valid driver’s license with a good driving record.
- Ability to walk over uneven terrain and lift up to 50 lbs.
Desired skills and experiences:
- Strong written/verbal communication skills, ability to operate independently and the ability to work well in team environments.
- Experience on WisDOT project development process, construction observation and materials testing for WisDOT projects.
- Certification in WisDOT Highway Technician Program credentials desirable.
- Experience with Microsoft software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Proficiency in FieldManager, Civil3D, and other transportation engineering software.
Benefits of being part of the Ayres team:
- Health, dental, and vision Insurance
- Short and long-term disability and life insurance
- Employee stock ownership plan (ESOP) and 401K with company match
- PTO upon hire, paid holidays including two floating holidays, and a flexible work schedule
- Professional development opportunities
Please note, benefits vary depending on job status. To learn more about our great benefits, visit our website at https://www.ayresassociates.com/careers/the-ayres-advantage/
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer: Minorities, Women, Veterans, People with Disabilities