Job Title: Project Accountant
Department: Finance and Accounting
FLSA Status: Non-exempt / Hourly
Last Updated: December 2021
Metropolitan Mechanical Contractors (MMC) is looking for a Project Accountant to join our driven and dedicated team. With over 300,000 mechanical contracting projects completed and over 50 years of experience, we aim to hire the industry’s top talent.
The concept of the Project Accountant (PA) role at MMC is a 360-degree approach to all aspects of accounting. This position plays a role in the following: project set up, accounts payable, billing and invoicing (accounts receivable), collections, payroll, and project close-out. This concept allows the PA to understand how their work impacts all areas of a project and they serve as the go-to person for the Project Managers to which they are assigned.
- Ensure projects are set up correctly (i.e. taxable status, estimated margin)
- Obtain budgets for the projects and enter into COINS
- Hold pre-billing meeting with Project Manager to ensure billing deadlines are met and obtain understanding of customer’s requirements for the billing
- Scan, post, and review invoices related to their projects
- Ensure proper use tax is accrued on the invoices
- Review to ensure a 2-way match with the PO and invoice
- Investigate situations where the invoice exceeds the PO
Billing/Invoicing the Customer
- Prepare job billings for Project Manager to review prior to contractual deadlines, ensure billings are properly sent by contractual deadlines
- Accuracy extremely important for project billings
- Review listing of unbilled work order costs weekly and push the Project Managers to bill timely
- Review collections report weekly and follow up on collections
- Involve Project Manager as necessary
- Follow/track retention through payment
- Complete proper paperwork timely to ensure timely payment
Qualifications and Experience:
- 2+ years of AR and/or AP experience required
- Construction industry specific experience strongly preferred
- Intermediate Microsoft Office skills
- Demonstrable ability to work well with others
- Demonstrable ability work in a fast-paced environment with multiple deadlines and changing priorities
- Good written and verbal communication skills and strong organizational skills
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, set priorities and see projects through completion.
- Positive “can do” attitude
- Must be able to work at a computer for extended periods of time.
It’s what’s INSIDE that counts…
From immense construction projects that involve complex mechanical systems to custom service projects that require faster builds and reliable 24-hour service, Metropolitan Mechanical Contractors, Inc. (MMC) is your single source solution.
For more than 50 years, Metropolitan Mechanical Contractors, Inc. (MMC) has been designing, building and maintaining mechanical systems for some of the most well-known buildings in the Midwest. We are a fully-integrated large commercial mechanical contractor. We employ the industry’s best talent of engineers, tradesmen, project managers, customer support and office staff.
Why work at MMC?
We Work As a Team. MMC fosters a culture of collaboration and continuous improvement. We operate as a team to ensure the best experience for our clients, contractors and employees.
We Are Committed to Our Employees. At MMC, you are encouraged to:
- Make the decision you think in the right decision to make.
- Ask for help whenever you want it.
- Start something that needs to be started.
- Take time off to do something that inspires, excites and energizes you.
- Help others whenever you can.
- Competitive salary and benefits package
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Profit Sharing Plan
- Flexible work environment
- Incentives for environmentally-friendly behavior