LEHMAN-ROBERTS COMPANY - A PROUD TRADITION SINCE 1939
Our history goes back to 1939 when W. E. Lehman and George B. Roberts bought the Mississippi and Memphis operations of Carey-Reed Company, a company started by Mr. Roberts’ brother-in-law in 1907. The new Lehman-Roberts Company located their first asphalt plant and office on Front Street in downtown Memphis. The headquarters moved to the 1111 Wilson street address in 1943 and remained there until its recent move to 670 S. Cooper in September 2019. In 1971, the company became affiliated with Memphis Stone and Gravel Company through common ownership.
Still a family-owned business, Patrick Nelson leads as President in our dedication to the manufacturing of quality hot mix asphalt and the superior placement of that pavement. Anchoring our company's efforts are the core values of stewardship, humility, continuous improvement and relationships. With manufacturing facilities throughout West Tennessee and North Mississippi, Lehman-Roberts Company specializes in construction projects ranging from commercial parking lots to miles of interstate highway paving throughout the Mid-South.
We have committed to become a leader in the highway construction and aggregate industries by rewarding our most valuable resource... our employees! As part of the family, we offer:
- Paid Vacations and Holidays
- Earned Paid Time Off
- Medical/ Dental (reduced premium cost with participation in Wellness Program)
- Life Insurance
- 401K w/ Company Match
- Profit Sharing
- Flexible Spending Account
- Additional Voluntary Life Insurance, Short/ Long Term Disability and Vision
Quality Control Inspector Summary:
The Quality Control Inspector role is a key member of the Quality Control Division responsible for asphalt and aggregate inspection and quality control testing, including gradations and volumetrics, while effectively and efficiently communicating with inspectors, contractors and colleagues. The Quality Control Inspector role requires organization, goal orientated, self-directed, with the ability to handle testing spread over multiple cities with minimal supervision or supplied information.
Quality Control Inspector Responsibilities:
- Ensure inspector and testing certifications are completed and maintained.
- Coordination and communicate with inspectors, vendors and coworkers.
- Confer with Project Manager on customers issues to include local, state and federal government to resolve customer service concerns, regulatory compliance and to ensure full adherence to project specifications are met.
- Preform proper care and maintenance of all testing equipment.
- Responsible for adherence to operating standards, by properly documentation and data control.
- Ensure material characteristics, properties and quality standards are met and exceed the standards and specifications prescribed by customers.
- Participation in our companies’ Continuous Improvement and Safety Initiative Programs
Quality Control Inspector Basic Requirements:
- Equivalent of high school diploma or G.E.D certification
- Proficiency with computers and Microsoft Office products – specifically Outlook, Word and Excel
- Valid driver’s license with a satisfactory driving record
- May travel from North MS to West TN as needed
Highly Preferred Qualifications:
- Civil Engineering technology or related experience a plus
- Prior asphalt testing experience
- Knowledge of Viewpoint
- TN/ MS/ Ark state certifications
Environmental Working Conditions
The following environmental/atmospheric working conditions are commonly, but not always, associated with the performance of this position.
- 50 % Lab/ Plant environment
- 50% Field environment which includes travel between construction sites
- Occasional exposure to extreme weather conditions
- Work may entail visits to multiple sites in which incumbent could be exposed to loud noise, dust, and odor
Relatable Work Experience: Applicants with the following experience may have enough relatable skills to be considered for this opening.
- Must understand SAFETY and be committed:
- To the health and safety of all employees, subcontractors, customers, and the community;
- To promoting a comprehensive safety culture;
- To individual accountability for following our safety standards; and
- To actively support and participate in a zero accident environment.
- Must be committed to learning the meaning of the company CORE VALUES, as well as their application to the specific, daily duties of the job:
- Humility – freedom from arrogance with a genuine respect for others and their perspectives.
- Relationships – giving priority to people and teamwork over processes.
- Stewardship – taking personal responsibility for the proper care and sharing of company assets.
- Continuous Improvement – committed to being open-minded, growing and learning.
- Must learn the principles of TOTAL PROCESS RELIABILITY (TPR) and implement them into the daily work routine, in order to contribute to maximum equipment reliability, increased production and reduced maintenance costs.
It is the policy of Lehman-Roberts Company not to discriminate against any applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex (to include pregnancy and sexual orientation), gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, or because he or she is a protected veteran or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
The statements included in this job posting are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Lehman-Roberts Company and/or the Memphis Stone & Gravel Company and their designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-hire drug testing.