Hawkeye Area Community Action Program, Inc. (HACAP) is a diverse, community-focused nonprofit dedicated to empowering and improving the lives of families living with the everyday barriers of poverty.
What we are proud to offer you:
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Retirement Savings (IPERS and/or 403(b))
- Paid time off and 9 company paid holidays
- Short Term Disability after 1 year of employment
- Basic Life and AD&D coverage
- Employee Assistance Program
- Optional benefits: Flexible Spending, Long Term Disability, Voluntary Life, Voluntary Accident, and Vision
The Assistant Teacher II supports the Teacher in planning, implementing, and maintaining a nurturing and supportive educational program for participating children. The Assistant Teacher II is the designated lead Head Start staff person at times during the day when the teacher is not present in the classroom.
Wage and Schedule
Monday-Friday 9:00 am- 4:00 pm; ED/EY; $14.12-$16.44 based on qualifications
*This position is eligible for a $1200 retention incentive after successfully completing 180 days of employment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure compliance, program records, and documentation required for HACAP programs, child-care licensing regulations, CACFP, Head Start Performance Standards, Head Start Act, and funding requirements.
- Assist and follow site procedures for maintenance of a safe, positive, and nurturing physical and emotional environment in the center and classroom.
- Provide for the educational developmental needs of the individual child, and the classroom as a whole, according to mandated performance standards and established service plans and curriculum.
- Assist in carrying out daily lesson plans in keeping with HACAP program requirements and Head Start Performance Standards, Head Start Act, CLASS dimensions, developmentally appropriate practices, component plans, promote children's interests, individual goals, and strategies.
- Follow daily plans and classroom routines.
- Assist with lesson planning in keeping with program performance standards; developmentally appropriate practices; component plans; and children’s interests and skill levels that are conducive to learning.
- Facilitate center operations during times when the Teacher is not present.
- Follow program, center and classroom procedures for health and safety.
- Advocate for families in the program and encourage their participation.
- Maintain a cooperative working relationship with each family.
- Communicate with parents concerning the needs of the children.
- Inform the Teacher and Site Supervisor of center issues, which may affect program or agency compliance or image.
- Clean classroom, kitchen, bathrooms, changing areas, entryway area utilized by children and their families, and the outdoor play area before, during, and after class as needed. Follow established maintenance requirements of Head Start/Early Head Start Site.
- Provide a learning environment that will support children in their cognitive, social, physical, and emotional development.
- Work cooperatively with the center/classroom staff in program implementation.
- Participate in program assessments.
- Perform any or all other classroom duties as required by program, funding, and CACFP regulations as needed.
- Support the organization's mission, vision, values, policy, and procedure by exhibiting the following behaviors: excellence and competence, collaboration, innovation, respect personalization, commitment to our community, and accountability and ownership.
- Demonstrates a personal commitment to HACAP through quality job performance, a sense of responsibility for high achievement, professional appearance, awareness of current events throughout HACAP, and positive promotion of HACAP.
- Consistently work in a positive and cooperative manner with fellow Team Members.
- Consistently demonstrate the ability to respond to changing situations in a flexible manner in order to meet current needs, such as reprioritizing work as necessary.
- Consistently come to work on time, working as scheduled, and leaving at the scheduled time.
- Maintain appropriate attire and good grooming habits to support HACAP’s desire for safe and efficient operations, providing greater service and better customer relations.
- Must possess high integrity and ensure confidentiality of any information concerning an employee, client, family, financial condition or personal peculiarities is strictly maintained.
- Ensure that personal health information is protected during its collection, use, disclosure, storage, and destruction within HACAP as required by HIPAA.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Associates degree in early childhood
Two (2) years experience in a licensed (or school district based) childcare program
One of the following:
- Pre-school Child Development Associate credential (CDA)
- One (1) year early childhood diploma from an accredited community college
- Other related associates degree with nine (9) credit hours of course work in early childhood education
Ability to read, comprehend, and implement procedures.
- Ability to use good judgment
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Ability to work with a diverse population
- Ability to relate to low-income people
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work effectively with age-appropriate activities in the classroom and relate with children in a positive way
- Detail orientated
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Receive clearance by the Iowa Department of Human Services on child abuse and criminal checks before hire and resubmit every two (2) years.
- Pass a pre-employment health examination and subsequent health examinations every two (2) years thereafter.
- Being vaccinated against Covid-19 by January 31, 2022.
*Attach transcripts/current training/diploma*