We are looking for a team-oriented, detailed, and collaborative Payroll Specialist to fill a full-time, temporary position with Finance and Accounting department. The Payroll Specialist will work as a team member to ensure that all payroll functions are completed in a timely and accurate manner. This position is working in a fast passed, high volume Payroll Department processing a weekly payroll for nonexempt, exempt, union and nonunion employees. The Payroll Specialist is responsible for a variety of payroll functions including entering new hire information, updating employee information, creating, and printing payroll reports, distributing paychecks, and processing other paperwork. Responsible for regulatory compliance with applicable federal and multi-state laws, compliance with multiple union agreements, tax payments and union reporting. Maintain proficiencies with concepts, practices, and procedures related to payroll and taxes, including employees working in other states. Helps internal and external customers that is consistent with Jamar’s mission, vison, values, and operating code. Must perform all work in a confidential, accurate and professional manner.
- Minimum of two years’ experience working in a complex office providing payroll processing daily, including strong knowledge of federal and state regulations and payroll best practices.
- Prefer associate degree and knowledge of multiple union contracts and maintenance agreements related to union payroll processing.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office products, including Excel / report generation and analytics.
- Knowledge of SharePoint and AS400 preferred.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides excellent customer service related to payroll and time and attendance activity
- Responsible for processing high volume payroll transactions for multi-state payroll in an efficient manner.
- Safeguards confidential information for all employees and transactions
- Calculates and processes manual checks, garnishments, unemployment, paid time off (PTO) retro pays, lay off checks, bonuses, and state and local taxation
- Processes payments for tax liabilities
- Coordinates work with branch locations and project sites
- Input and process lay off as needed
- Ensure that all employee deductions are accurate and troubleshoot as needed
- Update and maintain master files in a systematic method within our computer system, including set up and track union deductions in preparation for union reporting.
- Daily mail review and follow up in a confidential and efficient manner.
- Miscellaneous reporting as required
- Analyzes and researches inquiries as needed
- File documents (includes both hard copies and electronic documents)
- Maintains thorough understanding of payroll processing to ensure overall compliance and successful execution of employee pay checks.
- Ability to see opportunities for continuous improvement and support implementation of best practices.
- Assists with any other department processing and miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must be accurate, attentive to detail and well organized
- Ability to deal sensitively with confidential material
- Strong problem-solving, and analytical skills
- Ability to function in a fast-paced setting with multiple requests and deadlines
- Well-developed interpersonal (verbal and written) communication skills
- Ability to collaborate and work in a team setting
For more than 100 years, Jamar has built a reputation as a solid partner delivering solid solutions. And we don’t just hire anyone. We hire extraordinary people – the kind who:
- Share our values
- Never stop learning
- Care about the community
- Strive for continuous improvement
- Thrive in a team environment