This position engages with guests on the exhibit floor, maintaining the different stations around the Center e.g., touch tank, aviary, and activity desks, may present programs and lead Behind the Scenes encounters. This position is responsible for connecting visitors to the mission of the Alaska SeaLife Center (ASLC). Each day is some combination of the tasks above.
An associate’s degree in education, biology, marine science, or a related field; or high school diploma or GED; or equivalent experience.
- Enhances the visitor experience by providing information and “connection” to the ASLC’s exhibits.
- Supervises visitor use of the touch tank and open-air aviary.
- Provides exquisite customer service to guests and may assist with welcoming tour groups or encounters to interested visitors.
- Fosters good relations with visitors, volunteers, teachers, and fellow staff members by promoting positive attitudes, goodwill, and cooperation and providing high standards of service.
- Help maintain the physical appearance of staffed exhibits and deliver announcements over the public address system.
- Help visitors follow Covid guidelines laid out by the Alaska SeaLife center.
- Complies with all Alaska SeaLife Center policies, procedures, and programs.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Other Skills and Abilities:
Ability to speak in public, excellent oral communication skills, ability to work in a team environment, enthusiasm, and a sincere interest in communicating about marine topics to guests of all ages. Training on the animals, exhibits, research, and programs specific to the ASLC will be provided.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to see, hear, and speak English; move about for up to 8 hours; use arms and hands; handle objects, tools, and controls. Ability to lift and move 20 pounds.
Accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums
APPLICATION DEADLINE: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
START DATE: 5/1/2022 END DATE: 9/30/2022
PAY RATE: $15.00 - $16.50
Season Completion Bonus of $1 per hour, not to exceed $500, for completing the season.