The intern will assist with the day to day support of remote monitoring research activities involving Steller sea lions. Applicants should exhibit a strong interest in animal-related scientific research work and associated support. Candidates with animal photo identification and behavioral study experience are preferred. Familiarity with MS Excel & Access, and video recording equipment are also preferred. Applicants should possess the ability to stay focused on the task at hand for extended periods of time. Under the guidance of Chiswell Project staff, the intern will be trained and expected to perform the essential duties.
Education / Experience:
Working towards or possesses an undergraduate degree in a science related field.
- Operate remotely controlled cameras from a desktop computer in an office setting.
- Assist with sea lion counts, behavioral observations, video recording, and data entry.
- Be prompt with daily duties and follow a regimented schedule of observations.
- Assist with observations and video systems maintenance in the field as needed.
- Performs other duties relating to the Center’s goals and mission statement as required.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work independently with excellent organizational and time management skills. Proficient computer skills including basic Microsoft applications specifically Excel are preferred.
- Ability to see and hear; use arms and hands; handle objects, tools, and controls; and sit. Ability to lift and move 50 pounds in rugged terrain or inclement weather. Experience working on small vessels is beneficial.
Internship Dates: May 15, 2022 to August 5, 2022
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and letter of reference.
Application Deadline: February 15, 2022
Accredited by the Association of Zoos & Aquariums.