LEHMAN-ROBERTS COMPANY - A PROUD TRADITION SINCE 1939
Lehman-Roberts Company and sister company Memphis Stone and Gravel, have been a part of the fabric of Memphis for more than a combined 190 years. Now in its fourth generation of family ownership, Patrick Nelson leads as President in our dedication to the manufacturing and placement of quality hot mix asphalt along with surface mining of aggregates. Anchoring our company's efforts are the core values of stewardship, humility, continuous improvement, and relationships. With manufacturing facilities throughout West Tennessee and North Mississippi, the family of companies specializes in construction projects ranging from commercial projects to miles of interstate highway paving throughout the Mid-South.
We have committed to become a leader in the highway construction and aggregate industries by rewarding our most valuable resource... our employees! As part of the family, we offer:
- Paid Vacations
- 6 Paid Holidays
- Earned Paid Time Off
- Medical/ Dental / Life Insurance
- 401K w/ Company Match
- Profit Sharing
- Flexible Spending Account
- Additional Voluntary Life Insurance, Short/ Long Term Disability and Vision
Asphalt Semi-Skilled Worker Review
The Semi-Skilled Asphalt Grading/Paving Worker position is responsible for performing various duties on construction and/or paving projects. The employee will generally work in utility capacity by transferring from one task to another where demands are required. Duties include but are not limited to rake/lute work, shovel work, dump person, and training as a screed operator and small equipment operator.
Asphalt Semi-Skilled Worker Responsibilities
- Learn and exhibit company core values, resulting in being a cooperative team member who displays a positive and supportive attitude.
- Properly follow all OSHA regulations and company Safety Program requirements to ensure safe working procedures and a safe working environment while operating all heavy equipment.
- Perform daily safety and maintenance checks
- Assist screed operator with ski pole and electronics.
- Communicate with screed operator and paver operator about joints/mix.
- Use slope board to check joints.
- Lute joints and hand work sections that cannot be placed by paver.
- Fill holes and repair all pavement imperfections when needed.
- Communicate with roller men when mix is ready to be rolled.
- Digs, spreads, and levels construction materials.
- Lifts, carries and holds material, tools and supplies.
- Assists in the placement, moving and dismantling of signs, barricades, cones and other traffic control devices.
- At close of shift, clean tools and assist in cleaning equipment.
- Follow instructions from crew foremen, leaders, managers, state DOT inspectors, auditors and officials.
Asphalt Semi-Skilled Worker Requirements
- 18 years of age or older.
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable driving history required.
- Minimum 2 years of road construction and paving experience or other commercial construction experience; thorough understanding of asphalt paving and roadway construction fundamentals required.
- Must be able to work overtime, nights, and weekends as needed at various times throughout the year.
- Must be able to understand work directions and communicate effectively with job site supervisors and fellow employees.
- Must have working knowledge of basic equipment maintenance
- Required to wear all safety PPE as defined by the Lehman-Roberts Company Safety Director or determined by customer specifications.
- Must be alert and aware of everything going on around the construction area, consistently following safe work practices.
Work Conditions/ Physical Requirements
- Climb in and out, on and off equipment.
- May assist with leveling asphalt/aggregate to grade specifications using rakes, shovels, and trowels.
- Accurately and regularly complete site checks and monitor traffic behavior and/or flow to ensure that safety is always maintained.
- The employee is frequently required to sit, climb, and use hands.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, crawl, kneel, bend, and reach with hand and arms above their shoulders.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or carry materials up to 50 pounds.
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee may be occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; outside weather conditions; and risk of electrical shock or burn.
- The noise level in some areas of the work environment may be loud, but is typically moderate.
Relatable Work Experience: Applicants with the following experience may have enough relatable skills to be considered for this opening.
- Asphalt Laborer
- Worker Rake/ Raker
- Concrete Finisher
It is the policy of Lehman-Roberts Company not to discriminate against any applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex (to include pregnancy and sexual orientation), gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, or because he or she is a protected veteran or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
The statements included in this job description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Lehman-Roberts Company and/or the Memphis Stone & Gravel Company and their designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-hire drug testing.