Head Start Assistant Teacher
$18.17-$22.74 per hour (Based on years of applicable experience)
Full-time, Regular Status, FLSA Non-Exempt (School year position)
Open Until Filled
Childhaven is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity, inclusion, and recruiting candidates of every race, creed, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender or gender identity, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected status as provided by law. Qualified individuals who bring diverse perspectives to the workplace are highly encouraged to apply!
For over 110 years Childhaven has been a leader in serving children, families, and communities that have experienced trauma and adversity. In the past few years, we have been adding services and locations, becoming more community-based, and forming partnerships to increase our impact. In June 2020, Childhaven consolidated with Renton Area Youth and Family Services (RAYS) and Art with Heart, which further expanded our capacity to better serve more children, families, and communities. By combining our legacy of healing-centered care, with the expertise of our new partners, Childhaven is building a continuum of care model that is unlike any other in the Puget Sound Region.
We are proud to be a values-driven organization that serves families from diverse communities. Our values are the compass we use to get us there. They guide us in the way we treat each other, the decisions we make, and the success we achieve. Values are the touchstones to chart and guide our behavior, and reflect our commitment to:
- TEAMWORK: Relationships come first.
- EQUITY: There’s infinite value in every human.
- EXCELLENCE: Constructively dissatisfied with the status quo.
- DEDICATION: Do more. Do better.
- RESPECT: Meet people where they are.
- REFLECTION: Feelings Matter. Stepping back and exploring possibilities.
Going forward, we are embarking on a new and very ambitious strategic impact plan to further strengthen programs, expand impact, and embrace innovation. In the next five years our goals are to double the number of locations and quadruple the number of children and families we are serving - all while developing and strengthening partnerships with other community-based organizations, referral sources, government agencies, and universities. In so doing, we are opening doors to a host of new roles and opportunities within the organization. And that’s where you come in.
You are a passionate and dedicated Head Start Assistant Teacher who shares our vision: To help ensure that all children are safe and healthy; thriving physically, socially emotionally and educationally; and well nurtured by family and by their community. You too are constructively dissatisfied with the status quo and heed the call to put service over self. You are equal parts learner, leader and mentor and see around the corners of a challenge, replaying the question of “What if…” with a reply of “Why not…” You are well-versed and firmly committed to the principles of infant and early childhood mental health, relational health, healing centered care, and anti-racist practices. If this sounds like you, then we want to meet, get to know you and talk more about the positive impact we could have together.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Childhaven teachers are a special kind of educator. They believe that early learning programs can improve the lives of all children and families, especially those with the highest needs. They view early education as a tool for social change that can impact entire communities. Working with kids in our classrooms every day, teachers represent the core of our services for children and families. Childhaven seeks an Assistant Teacher for its Head Start and ECEAP classrooms in Auburn. Collaborating with the teacher, the Assistant Teacher provides enrolled preschool children with quality comprehensive child development services and encourages parent involvement in educational planning, goal setting, and parent activities. And, of course, Head Start teachers get lots of quality time with kids like these! This is a full-time position for 10 months out of each year.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Curriculum Planning: Participates in the planning of the daily schedule of classroom routines and activities. Assists in preparing lesson plans in accordance with the Head Start program performance standards and program service plans.
- Classroom Preparation: Works with the teacher to prepare and organize the classroom and classroom materials in accordance with the planned classroom program; helps the teacher develop a learning plan for each child; also helps with record-keeping on attendance/meals and written observations of children.
- Family Support: Communicates regularly and respectfully with families and involves them in the educational program. Acts as a support and resource person for families for the purpose of assisting the teacher in case managing specific needs with families, advocating for parents and encouraging parent involvement in the program.
- Health Supervision: Assists children with hand washing, tooth brushing, diapering, etc. for the purpose of modeling appropriate personal hygiene. Administers first aid as needed.
- Interdisciplinary Collaboration: Participates in interdisciplinary planning for children and families to include staffing, multidisciplinary teams, individual education plans and other cross-component coordination efforts.
- You meet one of the following education requirements:
- A high school diploma and a WA State ECE certificate (47 credits), or a Childhood Development Associate (CDA)
- Or, you have an associate's degree or higher in Early Childhood Education
- Or, you have an associate's degree or higher in a related field plus 18 credits in Early Childhood Education
- Knowledge of early childhood development, with an ability to foster relationships with parents and preschool-aged children from diverse populations.
- You must pass Childhaven’s drug screen and background check, and possess a portable background check through the Washington Department of Early Learning.
- Current certifications include First Aid, Child/Infant CPR, HIV & Blood borne Pathogens and you have a MERIT identification number.
- Current Food and Beverage Handler’s Permit, or can get one within 90 days of hire.
- One year of experience in an early childhood setting
Childhaven serves families from diverse communities, and we are committed to recruiting candidates who reflect this diversity. Multilingual and multicultural candidates are highly encouraged to apply!
No matter your role, you'll get opportunities to attend a wide variety of trainings on clinical and education topics, advocacy, management skills and more.
- We also work hard to make sure that you have a mentor—a person who's helping you grow professionally.
- We’re dedicated to serving the full range of cultural diversity in our community, and to providing families with care that’s relevant to them and their values. As a member of Childhaven staff, you’ll be encouraged to contribute to community engagement strategies and will participate on the ESIT Racial Equity/Social Justice Team to ensure that our programs and protocols are doing their part to dismantle systemic racism.
We strive to make Childhaven a great place to work by living our values: Teamwork, Equity, Excellence, Dedication, Respect, and Reflection. Here’s a little bit about what we offer our staff:
- We believe in fully transparent hiring process.
- We offer a comprehensive benefit package including medical, dental and vision insurance. Expanded benefits include a flexible spending account, healthcare reimbursement account, a 403(b) savings program with employer A full listing of benefits is available.
- Opportunities to attend a wide variety of trainings on clinical and education topics, advocacy and more.
- We’re dedicated to serving the full range of cultural diversity in our community, and to providing families with care that’s relevant to them and their As a member of Childhaven staff, you’ll be encouraged to contribute to community engagement strategies and our anti-racism council, which makes ongoing recommendations to ensure that our programs and protocols are doing their part to dismantle systemic racism.
Please apply through Birddog or our website
Open until filled. In addition to completing the application online, attach a resume and cover letter when prompted.
Those who do not attach a resume and cover letter may not be considered.
If you require an accommodation to participate in the selection process, please let us know