Adolfson & Peterson Construction, one of the nation’s top contractors, is recruiting for an experienced Senior Project Manager for projects in our Gulf States region. We combine more than 75 years of construction expertise with the newest technologies in order to meet our clients' needs. We serve owners, architects, and developers with a commitment to teamwork and quality and are constantly looking for people to help us achieve our company goals.
This position manages and controls multiple, assigned projects, including safety, budgets, contracts, schedules, and trade contractors and supplier coordination. The scope of the projects range from small to large and/or complex. Leads project teams in conjunction with a Superintendent. Provides functional expertise and regional project management team leadership.
Because safety is paramount to AP and embedded into everything we do, all team members are responsible for working safely within our Incident and Injury Free culture.
Key accountabilities of the role include:
- Take personal responsibility for working safely within an Incident and Injury Free (IIF) culture.
- Co-lead the process to procure future projects while continually building client loyalty.
- Lead the marketing effort, along with business development staff, by making initial contacts and maintaining a network of architects, consultants, and potential clients to consistently bring in new leads.
- Lead presentation and proposal preparations; generate schedules for proposed projects, in conjunction with field operations, which accurately reflect the project time to complete as well as critical issues for the future project team.
- Create and implement the Continuous Care program.
- Help foster rapport between AP senior management and the owner.
- Provide leadership throughout a project to ensure timely and quality results.
- Understand the owner’s financial goals for the project; communicate those goals to the project team; manage the owner’s expectations.
- Ensure field/office policies, instructions, and procedures are communicated to all project team members, including trade contractor team members.
- Hold weekly site progress meetings with the owner, architect, and key trade contractors in addition to other meetings such as project estimate review, start-up, monthly interim, and close out meetings; ensure minutes of all meetings are generated in a timely manner.
- Oversee that job safety requirements are communicated to all trade contractors for zero injuries; observe and report safety hazards at the jobsite to the project Superintendent.
- Oversee the maintenance of the trade contractor/supplier log.
- Review shop drawings, RFI’s, and ASI’s (all change orders) for coordination and implementation of project requirements.
- Prepare letters of intent with trade contractors; manage the trade contract process and all clarification or change issues.
- Oversee the timely submittal process, review, and execution of project changes by the owner and trade contractors.
- Set firm and realistic deadlines to ensure the procedure and schedule for submittal of O&M manuals, close-out documents, and project warranties are in place before the project work is 50% complete.
- Build and facilitate collaborative team processes among project participants.
- Work with the Superintendent in preparing and updating the detailed construction schedule and with adhering to the schedule for early project close-out and final acceptance by the owner.
- Manage an assigned group of Project Managers.
- Coach, mentor, and train team members. Conduct regular check-ins.
- Participate in activities to attract, develop, and retain team members. Provide input for staffing decisions.
- Develop and manage team member performance goals and development plans.
- Provide leadership for creating and nurturing a collaborative environment and team member engagement.
- Resolve team member issues.
- Ensure team members have the necessary resources and support.
- Review project plans for constructability and cost feasibility; complete project risk assessments, scope of work matrices, and the trade contract bidding process.
- Provide technical expertise throughout the project including during pre-construction; advise team of issues and deficiencies.
- Prepare and review the final estimate with the project team.
- Expedite project trade contractor/supplier buy-out. Review bids to ensure that all items are included, exclusions are understood, and the bid is complete and conforms to the specifications before award.
- Prepare scope of work matrix for all trade contractor/supplier contracts; review the scope of work, schedule, and performance expectations including workforce utilization goals prior to the award of the contract.
- Initiate and review close-out procedures with the project Superintendent, owner, and architect before trade contractor work starts; maintain a zero punch list.
- Oversee the completion and documentation of a risk assessment for each project.
- Prepare, analyze, and manage project progress, costs, budgets, and cash flows.
- Confirm that total cost budgets, with contingencies, tie to the project contract amount and ensure project budgets are maintained in Prolog.
- Prepare and review for accuracy all monthly pay applications to owner; collect, in accordance with the contract, all invoiced project amounts due from the owner.
- Manage, review, and control all project costs; maintain reasonably accurate project cost projections in Spectrum.
- Review and approve all trade contractor/supplier payment applications; oversee the collection of supplier and trade contractor lien waivers to ensure all payments are properly disbursed.
- Prepare final written analyses on project profitability, profit enhancers, profit busters, and project problems for discussion in the close-out meeting and the permanent project records; provide explanations for all significant project cost variances, by cost code, on the intranet.
- Review the project’s QC plan and ensure compliance; report findings to project team and management.
- Other duties as assigned.
- History of progressively more responsible leadership experience and proven results including:
- Bachelor’s degree in construction management, architecture, engineering, or equivalent and 8+ years of construction project management experience including managing $50+ million projects. Or, completion of an associates degree in construction management and 10+ years of related project management experience.
- 2+ years of people management experience.
- Advanced proficiency with scheduling, spreadsheets, cost control, and project management software including Prolog, Microsoft Project, P6, and other construction programs.
- Solid understanding of value engineering, life cycle costing, and project profit/cost processes.
- Ability to read and comprehend building plans and specifications. Estimating experience including take-offs preferred.
- Recognition and achievement of high quality construction standards.
- Thorough experience with multiple contract types under the CMR and Design-Build delivery methods.
- Current or ability to become current with OSHA 30 and company safety requirements.
- Ability to travel to project work sites 70+ miles away.
- Willingness to work in various (sometimes extreme) climate conditions.
- Demonstrated integrity and ethical standards.
- Experience in complex business as an active participant in driving growth and change; demonstrated effectiveness in driving operations and executing plans.
- Ability to identify talent, create and develop teams, and build trust and engagement.
- Capability to identify and capitalize on opportunities quickly; ability to maintain effective balance between strategic and tactical priorities.
- Experience in driving accountability for financial and operational effectiveness, integrating and aligning efforts within teams, monitoring results, and tackling problems directly.
- Experience cultivating an active network of relationships, driving collaboration and alignment, relating well to key colleagues, and connecting with employees at all levels.
- Ability to drive to the core of complex issues and provide insightful and constructive feedback.
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance
- Health Savings Account
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Dependent & Medical Reimbursement)
- Paid Time Off (PTO) and Holidays
- Tuition Assistance Program
- Employee Referral Bonus
Adolfson & Peterson Construction is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Certain positions and locations require COVID-19 vaccination, subject to reasonable accommodations for valid medical or sincerely held religious reasons.