Hourly Wage: Starting at $20.01
*$5,000 Service Bonus*
Operates Agency trains consisting of light rail vehicles (LRV’s), assuming responsibility for the safety of Agency customers and equipment; performs routine vehicle inspections to ensure proper operation (such as a pre-trip radio check, lamp test, cycling of doors, and check of destination signs, etc.). Communicates appropriate information to customers, Controller/Dispatcher and others designated to receive such information. Answers inquiries from customers and others. Activates switches to ensure proper routing. Work following Agency transportation guidelines, operating rules and procedures.
Essential Job Functions:
(Duties listed are not intended to be all inclusive nor to limit duties that might reasonably be assigned.)
- Ensures to the highest quality and agency’s safety standards, policies and rules are followed.
- Ensures quality and safety are included in all aspects of your responsibility.
- Inspects, prepares for operation and/or reports vehicle defects found during routine vehicle inspection, to ensure safe and serviceable conditions. Reports these problems or defects to the Operation Control Center (OCC).
- Operates LRV in revenue service in a safe manner in accordance with operating rules and procedures, maintaining appropriate speed and distance from preceding vehicles, boards and alights passengers.
- Makes and brakes up train consist; operates trains in non-revenue service on main line.
- Operates switches through controls or manually; performs operations necessary to restore movement by trouble-shooting problem conditions.
- Answers customer inquiries and maintains a courteous and friendly demeanor with all HRT customers.
- Announces all special and station stops; provides proper information to customers requesting it; makes special announcements as requested.
- Notifies OCC of any emergency situation on or near right-of-way (ROW) or of service disruption, requesting appropriate additional instruction or assistance as required.
- Communicates to customers and OCC appropriate information in the event of a need to evacuate an LRV or train and then oversees the safe and orderly evacuation of the vehicle(s).
- Guides and assists customers to access alternate bus service in the event of a service disruption. Performs flagging duties during emergency situations, such as collisions, derailments or vehicle breakdowns.
- Activates switches, electrically or manually, as circumstances may warrant, ensuring correct routing.
- Maintains knowledge of HRT bus and light rail system in order to provide routine information and direction to our customers.
- Produces written reports of witnessed incidents as well as accidents, incidents and unusual conditions in which there has been direct or indirect involvement or that affect the movement of trains or the condition of Agency property.
- Reports observed defects and unsafe conditions regarding tracks, switches and related equipment while operating LRV’s, and other conditions that may affect the safe movement of trains.
- Responsible for maintaining a general awareness of HRT’s EMS
- Responsible for handling all related job responsibilities in accordance to HRT’s Environmental Policy, relevant EMS Standard Operating Procedures, and Emergency Management Plan
Required Knowledge, Abilities and Skills essential to Job Functions:
- Must be able pass LRV Operator training pre-screening quiz with 85% or higher.
- Must be able pass all quiz/test associated with LRV Operator training course with 85% or higher with 100% on signal test and re-qualify as directed.
- Must be able to secure and maintain a Virginia Commercial Drivers License.
- Ability to learn the HRT’s Transit System, including the, safety regulations and guidelines; train and bus service schedules and fare structures.
- Ability to maintain an effective working relationship with Controller/Dispatcher & Supervisor.
- Ability to learn troubleshooting of HRT’s Light Rail Vehicles.
- Ability to communicate orally with customers and supervisor.
- Ability to complete 90 working day probation period plus 7-week training
- Ability to read and understand training materials, operating manuals and operating and safety rules directives
- Ability to prepare clear written reports of incidents and accidents.
- Ability to maintain good customer relations.
- No more than one (1) preventable accident in the twelve (12) months immediately preceding bid on LRV Operator.
Required Software Knowledge and Skills essential to Job Functions:
Proficiency in using computer systems and the listed software applications associated with performance of assigned work is essential. Basic problem-solving skills associated with software applications used is expected. Software usage relevant to job duties will be evaluated.
Training and/or Education:
Graduation from high school or GED
Internal candidates must be full time bus operator with one-year experience, or full time HRT employee with a minimum of two years of previous transportation experience and have successfully passed the probationary period.
In order to be eligible, the Operator must have the following:
- No more than three (3) miss-outs or unexcused absences within the last six (6) months;
- No more than one (1) corrective/disciplinary action issued for violations of rules and procedures in the last twelve (12) months;
- A good driving record that meets HRT's standards;
- No preventable accidents or safety violations during the previous twelve (12) month period;
- No valid passenger complaints within the previous twelve (12) months;
- Not be out of work for thirty-five (35) consecutive days or more within a twelve-month period (with the exception of excused absences); and
- Must successfully pass the written assessment and physical agility assessment for Rail Operator.
External candidates must have a minimum of 2 years transportation experience.
Licenses or Certificates:
Must have CDL Class B license and/or CDL permit and the ability to acquire within sixty (60) days of employment a valid Virginia CDL Class B license with air brake and passenger endorsements.
- Must be able to pass essential function test conducted by HRT Rail Operations.
- No more than three points against DMV driving record
- Upon management direction and when assigned, all Operators are required to mentor and assist in training Student Operators.
- When assigned students, Operators are required to monitor and supervise the student activities throughout their entire shift
- Ability to pass DOT physical examination.
- Ability to meet night vision requirements.
- This position is classified as essential personnel.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The demands include balancing, eye-hand coordination, gripping, lifting, stooping, squatting, walking, carry object (20 lb.), lift (80) lbs., push/pull, reaching and communication. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The work involves the operation of Light Rail Vehicles their equipment.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Work involves meeting multiple demands on a timely basis. Duties may require working weekends and Holidays.