Full-time, Regular Status, FLSA Nonexempt
Location: Burien, WA
$16.30 – $20.24 hourly
Based on years of applicable experience
Childhaven is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity, inclusion, and equity. We are upholding this by recruiting candidates of every race, creed, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender or gender identity, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, and all other historically marginalized and excluded communities other protected status as provided by law. Qualified individuals who bring diverse perspectives to the workplace are highly encouraged to apply!
We are proud to be a values-driven organization that serves families from diverse communities. Our values guide us in the way we treat each other, the decisions we make, and the success we achieve. The following are the values guide our work:
- TEAMWORK: Relationships come first.
- EQUITY: There’s infinite value in every human.
- EXCELLENCE: Constructively dissatisfied with the status quo.
- DEDICATION: Do more. Do better.
- RESPECT: Meet people where they are.
- REFLECTION: Feelings Matter. Stepping back and exploring possibilities.
Childhaven is a leader in serving children, families, and communities that have experienced trauma and adversity. We are building a continuum of care model that is growing to respond to the changing needs of families by combining our legacy of healing-centered care, with the expertise of community partners. Going forward, we are embarking on a new and ambitious strategic impact plan to further strengthen programs, expand impact, and embrace innovation.
You are a passionate and dedicated individual who shares our vision: To help ensure that all children are safe and healthy; thriving physically, socially emotionally and educationally; and well nurtured by family and by their community. You too are constructively dissatisfied with the status quo. You are equal parts learner, leader and mentor and see around the corners of a challenge, replaying the question of “What if…” with a reply of “Why not…” If this sounds like you, then we want to meet, get to know you, and talk more about the positive impact we could have together.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Childhaven is seeking a dynamic Program Assistant to support us in achieving our mission, vision, goals, and values. Above all, the selected candidate will bring enthusiasm for helping us build and support a passionate and skilled workforce of diverse professionals who make significant positive impacts in the lives of children, families, and communities. Based in our Burien location, this position will report to the Early Learning Program Director.
- Interactions with children/classroom, including:
- Assists teachers with supervision of children. Supervises children in 1:1 or in group setting at the direction of a teacher.
- Participates in the implementation of daily curriculum and routine with children, inside and outside.
- Interacts positively with children to support their learning and meet their emotional needs. Interacts in a manner appropriate to their age and stage of development.
- Contributes to the developmentally appropriate and safe preschool environment. Assists teachers with first aid and injury/health forms.
- Diapers children and assists with toilet training when requested by Lead Teacher.
- Assists teachers with setting up and/or cleaning the classroom and activities, including laundry and cleaning toys. Assists with maintain equipment and storing supplies.
- Contributes to the development of communicating mutual respect, mutual support, competence, and creativity among all members of the Head Start and ECEAP teams.
- Communicates regularly and respectfully with families and staff.
- Kitchen duties, including:
- Assists with planning, preparing, and serving of snacks and meals; participates in and facilitates mealtime service.
- Regularly cleans dishes and runs the dishwasher, preps carts and meals for classrooms, and collects carts from classrooms after meals.
- Cleans/sanitizes all counters, refrigerator/freezer/storeroom, dishwashing and vegetable sink area, and mops/sweeps kitchen floor.
- Maintains stock of food storage.
- Creates a laundry schedule for classrooms that complies with childcare licensing. Washes, folds, and delivers clean laundry to the classrooms.
- Collaborates with site team in planning and facilitating family events/meetings. When working with diverse populations, accesses interpreters.
- Completes and files all necessary paperwork to stay compliant with USDA and CACFP contracts. Complies with all CACFP policies and procedures.
- Participates in in-service staff trainings, staff meetings, and other education opportunities to gain knowledge and skills throughout the year.
- Complies with the agency policy and procedure regarding the identification and reporting of suspected child abuse.
- Responsible to keep informed of ongoing program changes and updates
- Complies with all Childhaven policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma/GED.
- 6 months – 1 year of related experience and/or training.
- Fingerprinting and background check.
- First aid and CPR certification within 90 days of hire.
- Food and Beverage Handler’s Permit within 30 days of hire.
- Completion of a one-step Mantoux tuberculosis (TB) test, or proof of a negative test within past 12 months prior to hire.
- Able to communicate effectively and relate positively to staff and volunteers in a diverse environment.
- Ability to adjust to varied situations, demands, and new instructional concepts.
- Ability to perform basic clerical tasks such as recordkeeping, filing, typing, copying, etc.
- Ability to attend occasional evening meetings.
- Ability to occasionally lift 50 lbs.
We are dedicated to recruiting candidates who reflect the diversity and lived experiences of the communities we serve. Multilingual and multicultural candidates are encouraged to apply!
Childhaven has committed to equitable compensation practices, including pre-determining what roles require and the qualities needed from the individual that will fill the role. To achieve this, Childhaven uses a grade and step approach to determine the compensation of each team member.
We strive to make Childhaven a great place to work by living our values: Teamwork, Equity, Excellence, Dedication, Respect, and Reflection. Here’s a bit of what we offer our staff:
- We believe in a fully transparent hiring process.
- We offer a comprehensive Benefits Package including Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance. Expanded benefits include a flexible spending account (FSA), healthcare reimbursement account, and 403(b) savings program. A full listing of benefits is available.
- Opportunities to attend a wide variety of trainings on clinical and educational topics, advocacy, and more.
- We’re dedicated to serving the full range of cultural diversity in our community, and to providing families with care that’s relevant to them. As a member of Childhaven staff, you’ll be encouraged to contribute to community engagement strategies and our antiracism council, which makes ongoing recommendations to ensure that our programs and protocols are doing their part to dismantle systemic racism.
Childhaven values organizational culture and professional development. Team members at Childhaven have the opportunity to develop skills and knowledge through the following:
- Project work groups
- Clinical and/or reflective supervision
- Community advocacy and engagement
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Racial Equity Council (DIREC)
***HOW TO APPLY***
Please apply through our website. If you require an accommodation to participate in the application or selection process, please let us know.
This position will be open until filled; applicants are encouraged to apply. In addition to completing the application online, please attach a resume and cover letter when prompted.
Childhaven would like to get an accurate understanding of each applicant’s experience and interest.
COVID -19: “Due to the amending Proclamation (20-05) (21-14) by Governor Inslee, Childhaven employees are required to be vaccinated against Covid-19 for the protection of the clients we serve. Medical and religious exemptions are acceptable to the extent of the law for those entitled under the ADA, Title VII, THE WLAD and/or if there is a sincerely held religious belief accommodation to the requirements of this Order. Requests for these exemptions are required.”