Provide assistance in planning, developing and implementing recruitment and staffing strategies for assigned departments with special emphasis on a well qualified and diverse pool of candidates, timeliness and cost effectiveness. To increase the visibility of the organization within the military and university community through strategic networking with military bases, government agencies and colleges/universities.
Essential Job Functions:
(Duties listed are not intended to be all inclusive nor to limit duties that might reasonably be assigned.)
- Provide a high level of customer service in consulting with and guiding hiring managers in comprehensive recruitment and staffing issues, policies, and process.
- Provides a high level of customer service to job applicants regarding employment opportunities and the application process.
- Assist in recruitment effort for exempt and nonexempt personnel (excluding managerial levels and above).
- Execute recruitment plan by aggressively recruiting well-qualified candidates from a variety of sources, managing selection process to include interviewing, assessing candidates, screening, administering test and recommending finalists, and filling the staffing needs within the defined service and performance criteria.
- Responds by e-mail, phone and in person to questions from candidates and departments regarding recruitment status, and personnel procedures; assists applicants with the application process, including on-line submission.
- Facilitates the interview process, to include the scheduling of interviews and appointments; serve as part of the interview panel, execution of all new hire paper work, and data input of new hires into PeopleSoft.
- Conducts criminal history, sex offender, and driving record checks and maintains confidentiality of all related materials and information.
- Schedules and tracks new hires for post-offer physicals and drug test; answers routine questions from new hires regarding policies, benefits, work schedules and working conditions, and other related information.
- Prepares and presents offer to successful candidates. Ensures the flow of appropriate paper work as necessary.
- Prepare and send out unsuccessful letters to candidates.
- Input, update, retrieve and track applicant data and pre-employment information in PeopleSoft.
- When preparing documents for recruitment, ensure they are proofread and are error-free, and safeguard the confidentiality of documents and test results.
- Assists with developing strategies to recruit, hire and retain a superior workforce.
- Assists in developing recruiting materials and brochures.
- Conducts outreach or field recruitment duties including participation in on-site interviews and group presentations.
- Ensures compliance with Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity guidelines by supporting non-discriminatory hiring procedures, soliciting applications from diverse candidates, defining qualified and non-qualified applicants.
- Work with Technology staff to ensure accuracy and timeliness of information placed on website; update organizational development email auto reply.
- Assist with new employee orientation; Assist in organizational training and development efforts.
- Assist in planning and organizing HRT career fairs.
- Develop reports to meet management requests and needs for Human Resources Department.
- Maintain Human Resources Department files.
- Maintains and ensures agency job descriptions are updated.
- Represents and serves on committees for the Human Resources Department as assigned.
- Prepares documents for imaging by designating file code information and forwarding to Records Management; maintains and disposes of records in accordance with the approved HRT Records Retention and Disposition Schedules.
- Manage records created and received in compliance with the Hampton Roads Transit Records Management Policy and Procedures.
- Responsible for maintaining a general awareness of HRT’s EMS.
- Responsible for handling all related job responsibilities in accordance to HRT’s Environmental Policy, relevant EMS Standard Operating Procedures, and Emergency Management Plan.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Serves as the organization’s Virginia Values Veterans (V3) Point of Contact and responsible for accurate and timely submission of quarterly reporting of Veteran hiring.
- Responsible for Veteran recruitment by attending Veteran job fairs, hosting information sessions and speaking at military transition events.
- Builds and maintains relationships with Veteran organizations and military transition teams throughout the Hampton Roads area.
- Establishes and maintains professional relationships with high schools, technical schools, universities and community organizations to help identify and build talent pipelines to source qualified candidates.
- Responsible for engagement through scheduled events at college/university career fairs, professional career fairs and related industry meetings.
Required Knowledge, Abilities and Skills essential to Job Functions:
This position requires an extremely perceptive person, who is capable of relating to individuals at all levels. As unique situations present themselves, the individual must be sensitive to corporate needs, employee customer service, and the public image; must have considerable skill in interviewing techniques, a good knowledge of recruiting methods and techniques with a strong understanding and appreciation of a diverse work environment. Ability to maintain confidentiality, only stating information on a “need-to-know” basis and safeguarding sensitive material. Visibility requires maintaining a professional appearance and providing a positive company image to the public. Ability to efficiently manage time and workload, which includes: planning, prioritizing, organizing, and following-through on a variety of tasks, assignments, projects, and reports.
Required Software Knowledge and Skills essential to Job Functions:
Proficiency in using computer systems and the listed software applications associated with performance of assigned work is essential. Basic problem solving skills associated with software applications used is expected. Software usage relevant to job duties will be evaluated.
Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and PeopleSoft HCM
Training and/or Education:
Minimum requirements include an Associates degree from a two-year accredited college in Human Resources, Public Administration, Business Administration or a related field.
Minimum of three years of recruiting/staffing experience. Three years or more of human resource experience. Strong sourcing experience through methods such as web sourcing, Boolean searches, candidate referrals, social media, etc. HR and/or recruiting certifications (SPHR/PHR, SHRM-S/CP, AIRS, LinkedIn Recruiter) preferred
Licenses or Certificates:
Virginia Driver’s License
CONFIDENTIALITY. This position is classified as non-essential personnel.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work involves meeting multiple demands on a timely basis; and working multiple locations on both Northside and Southside. Duties may require work outside normal business hours.