Utilities Main Line Hoe Operator
Reporting to the Job Site Foreman, the Main Line Hoe Operator is responsible for the safe operation construction equipment, following blueprints to excavate, dig trenches and perform other tasks relating to underground utilities installation and other site work preparation. In addition to excavation responsibilities, the Operator will perform routine maintenance and repair, safety inspections, and log equipment use.
The responsibilities of the Main Hoe operator include, but are not limited to:
• Operate various equipment such as backhoe, loader, scraper, excavator, water truck, mechanized broom, skid steers, compactor, dozer, motor grader, etc.
• Always maintain 3 points of contact on all pieces of equipment.
• Excavate and safely slope (1:1 or engineered alternative) ditches to grade for general water and sewer installation
• Be comfortable excavating in close proximity to existing utilities
• Work with Pipe Layer to expose existing utilities for tie-ins and for utility crossings
• Operate the Excavator and other heavy equipment in a safe and appropriate manner.
• Perform daily cleaning, maintenance and safety checks of equipment.
• Conduct Pre-trip and Post trip checks on equipment.
• Work with ground personnel in the excavation and installation process of laying pipe on line and grade.
• Ensure trench is excavated to the proper depth/grade.
• Responsible for placement of water, storm, and sanitary sewer pipe in the excavation.
• Follow directions of ground crew regarding craning, gravel placement and grading.
• Cut grade with minimal time spent on excavating to ensure production is on schedule.
• Conduct trench work, which meets OSHA requirements.
• Operate Hoe on public roadways, maintaining proper awareness of one’s surroundings.
• Ensure a sound understanding of the issues involving ground disturbance.
• Be aware of proper rigging of pipe, manhole barrels, etc. and ensure safe work procedures are followed during the lowering of materials into the excavation.
• Understand and follow directions from supervisors as to required work area.
• Work with the Foreman/Safety Department to investigate damage, incidents or near misses on the worksite, and ensure proper procedures are carried out according to the Company’s Safety Program.
• Respond to signals and directions by other staff members and work in coordination with them
• Perform routine inspection on assigned equipment and report any needed repair to the supervisor
• Attend daily safety meetings with the crew
• Operate the equipment in adherence to safety policies, procedures, job site and/or traffic laws
• Report any safety violation to the Supervisor and/or Safety Director
• Report any incident to the Supervisor or safety team
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Supervisor
• When not operating heavy equipment, must perform additional duties including labor to support production with the team
• High school diploma/GED preferred
• 2+ years’ operating a diverse range of heavy equipment
• Understanding of computerized controls and electronics
• Excellent hand, eye and foot coordination
• Basic understanding of construction principles and procedures
• Must have physical strength and endurance
• Ability to lift heavy materials
• Comfort working in high-stress environment with extreme weather fluctuations
• High level of self-motivation and strong work ethic
• Attention to detail
• Maintain and promote a safe working environment
• Must be flexible, dependable, and effectively communicate with the team
• Must be willing to work in outside weather conditions
Benefits (available after waiting period)
• Health Insurance
• 401 (k)
• Dental insurance
• Life insurance
• Paid time off
• Vision insurance
• Weekly Pay
• Paid Holidays
• Potential for increased pay with performance
• Pay is solely based on performance, as this is a merit shop company
Job Type: Full-time
Excellent Pay: Commensurate with experience
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. Additional duties may be assigned based upon the needs of the business.
Horsepower Site Services provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement,