Utility Crew Backfill Operator
Horsepower Site Services an excellent Site Development Contractor in Charlotte, North Carolina is looking for a utility crew backfill operator. The utility crew installs sewer, water, and storm sewer. This position works behind the pipe laying operation to backfill the trench. This position requires the ability to identify structural soils from non-structural. The machines used to perform this work are CAT 320 to a CAT 336. The ability to operate the dozer and skid steer is a huge plus. While this is specifically a backfill operator role, Horsepower Site Services is strongly team- oriented company and the candidates for this an all positions needs to be willing to help wherever they are needed. We all work together and encourage one another to succeed.
Essential Job Functions:
- Able to skillfully operate an excavator (dozer and skid steer experience are a plus)
- Operate GPS System or have the ability to learn GPS system
- Perform manual labor occasionally (may be required to lift in excess of 50 pounds)
- Grease equipment and perform fluid level checks. Perform daily maintenance and safety checks of equipment.
- Recognize/ Identify various soil classifications
- Willingness to work with Grading crew within company as needed
- Capable of operating multiple pieces of construction equipment used in underground construction, base preparation and construction, and paving.
- Operate all heavy equipment in a safe and appropriate
- Conduct pre-operational checks on equipment, and clean, lubricate and refill the equipment as necessary.
- Maneuver heavy equipment into loading or unloading positions, following signals from loading crew as needed; check that the vehicle position is correct and any special loading equipment is properly positioned.
- Ensure a sound understanding of the issues involving ground
- Use various pieces of equipment to perform fine grading and finishing, sloping and banking, backfilling, demolition, ditching, loading, excavating and stockpiling.
- Operate equipment on public roadways, maintaining proper awareness of one’s
- Other construction related duties as
- Promote, execute and adhere to the company’s safety program, and encourage all employees, subcontractors and consultants to adopt safety as a culture.
- Attend daily and weekly safety meetings and
- Work with Safety Department to investigate damage, incidents or near misses in the worksite, and ensure proper procedures are carried out according to the Company’s Safety Program.
- Work in a safe, responsible manner to not intentionally or unintentionally injure oneself, or endanger the wellbeing of others.
- Participate as a vital team member, and contribute towards the success of the organization, which may involve the provision of other technical and administrative support, as required
- Promote a team approach and maintain dialogue with all employees to exchange information and gather ideas.
- Collaborate with any project teams on other special initiatives, as
Candidates who meet the following criteria may be considered for this position:
- 2 years heavy equipment experience
- Experience working with a grading laser
- Intermediate computer knowledge
- High level of self-motivation and strong work ethic
- Attention to detail
- Maintain and promote a safe working environment
- Individual must be flexible, dependable, and effectively communicate with the team
Benefits (available after waiting period)
- Health Insurance
- 401 (k)
- Dental insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Weekly Pay
- Paid Holidays
- Potential for increased pay with performance
- Pay is solely based on performance, as this is a merit shop company
Job Type: Full-time
Excellent Pay: Commensurate with experience
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. Additional duties may be assigned based upon the needs of the business.
Horsepower Site Services provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
We promote a Drug-Free Workplace.