Grading/ Utility Crew Laborer
The General Laborer is responsible for safely performing a variety of construction duties to assist the utility and/ or grade crews at various construction site locations. This position involves various manual tasks. Work will involve physical exertion of a practical nature.
Work will be performed per the supervisor's instruction, free from direct supervision except for more complicated jobs.
Essential Duties and Functions
- Hand shovels and rakes to perform
- Uses various equipment, hand and power
- Picks up and/or delivers construction materials at job site
- Performs other laborer duties as
- Performs job site clean-
- Maintains all tools and equipment in a safe and clean
- May operate equipment as needed if trained, including skid steer and other
- Lift heavy loads up to 70 pounds
- Dig pits, trenches and foundations
- Remove and properly dispose of debris and waste materials
- Load and unload supplies from trucks, both manually or by operating equipment
- Perform all tasks in a safe manner by following all safety procedures on the job site
- Attend daily safety meetings with crew
- Utilize proper lifting techniques
- Report safety violations to Supervisor and/or Safety Director
- Immediately report any/all incidents to the Supervisor or Safety team
- Other duties as assigned per supervisor
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disability to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
- Previous related experience in the construction field is a
- Teamwork - Contributes to building a positive team
- Judgment - Exhibits sound and accurate
- Planning/Organizing - Uses time
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Accepts responsibility for own actions.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Safety - Observes safety procedures; determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; reports potentially unsafe conditions, uses equipment and materials properly. Always uses and properly maintains personal protective equipment.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time and according to schedule
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.
- Initiative - Asks for and offers help when
- Innovation - Generates suggestions for improving
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed written or verbal instructions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or walk; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee is frequently required to sit, climb, and use hands to signal and handle equipment. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move anywhere up to 50-75 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; outside weather conditions; and extreme cold and/or heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
The statements included in this job description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by HSS Site Services and its designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Horsepower Site Services provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
We promote a Drug-Free Workplace