Position reports to:
Individual Giving Director
FLSA classification status:
$53,700 - $65,000 annually
May 22nd, 2022
SEATTLE REP is seeking an experienced, resourceful, and highly talented Major Gift Officer to join the Development Team. The Major Gift Officer is a critical member of the Individual Giving team, working closely with the entire team to ensure proper cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of a portfolio of donors to meet the financial goals in support of annual and long-term organizational needs and plans.
Seattle Rep is committed to producing the highest quality programming, and we believe that our ability to contribute to excellence in the arts depends on building a community whose members come from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and life experiences.
We are part of a growing movement in theater to ensure inclusion of those who have been excluded historically; focusing particularly on racial and ethnic groups, LGBTQ+ people, people with disabilities and women, ensuring they are at the decision-making table and reflected in our community.
Seattle Rep collaborates with extraordinary artists to create productions and programs that reflect and elevate the diverse cultures, perspectives, and life experiences of our region.
Theater at the heart of public life
Artistic Vitality, Sustainability, Generous and Inclusive Practices
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Development Department is dedicated to raising contributed revenue, ensuring Seattle Rep has the resources necessary to achieve our mission and vision and maintain our community impact as the preeminent regional theater in the Pacific Northwest. In addition to funding a growing annual operating budget, the team is currently engaged in a multi-year, $17.5M capital and capacity-building campaign.
The Major Gifts Officer is responsible for cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding individual donors who currently contribute $5,000 or more annually (or have the potential to do so), graduating donors to higher levels by connecting them to their passions. They will develop and implement strategies for moves management, ensuring maximum engagement and support from each donor in their portfolio to meet financial goals tracked monthly, quarterly, and yearly.
The Major Gift Officer carries a portfolio of high-level donors, demanding a self-motivated, action-oriented strategic thinker who possesses strong project management skills, excellent written and oral communication skills, computer proficiency, and keen attention to detail.
Typical duties include:
Strategize to maximize individual contributed revenue on a sustainable basis
- Ability to understand and articulate organization’s long-range plans and strategies, and how philanthropy can help us achieve our goals
- Work with the Chief Advancement Officer, Director of Development, Individual Giving Director, members of the Board of Trustees, and Executive Leadership (when necessary and appropriate) to create and coordinate stewardship and solicitation plans for a portfolio of existing and potential major donors including donor ask, follow-up, stewardship, and engagement programs
- Work with Individual Giving team to research and identify prospects for special program or project underwriting, as well as campaign participation
- Coordinate with the Individual Giving team to support Gala and other special event efforts, including but not limited to seeding Raise-the-Paddle giving
Deepen the connection between a portfolio of donors and Seattle Rep in a personalized, tangible, and sustainable way
- Connect personally and professionally with a portfolio of major donors (approx. 100-200), building and developing their relationship with the theater to support the intentions and philanthropic desires of each individual, while balancing the needs of the organization
- Create and implement strategies to meet annual contributed revenue goals and to set a foundation for long-term organizational investment by mid-level and major donors
- Prepare for and participate in face-to-face solicitations that meet donors’ needs—whether in person or virtual, on or off site, or within or outside typical working hours
- Meet weekly and monthly donor contact goals, as determined by standard fundraising practices and the objectives of the Development team
- Research and qualify portfolio donors for participation in additional opportunities (campaign, planned giving, etc.) and work with related staff to solicit and secure
Utilize internal systems to track donor activities, communications, and other information to effectively steward donors’ long-term relationship with the theater
- Update database plans and plan steps as needed to accurately track work with individual donors
- Engage with donors to ensure proper benefits delivery, as well as ticketing support on a case-by-case basis
Support department- and company-wide development efforts, as a collaborative, contributing, and positive participant, setting an example for the rest of the organization
- Represent the Theater at donor events, receptions, and other special occasions
- Attend productions and programs as a stakeholder and representative of the Theater, including shows and engagement events beyond specific donor-centered gatherings
- Attend all-staff meetings, team meetings, and Board committee meetings as appropriate and necessary, and provide staff support for committee activities related to major gifts as needed
- Help to host cultivation and stewardship events as assigned and appropriate
Serve as an essential contributor to Seattle Rep’s culture and success
- Add constructively to the collaborative and collegial health of the organization
- Add actively and constructively to the equity, diversity, and inclusion work of the organization, including attending all-staff training sessions
- Engage with and strive to embody Seattle Rep’s mission, vision, and values in all aspects of work
- Help create a culture of philanthropy among staff, Board members, and donors
- Three years of major gifts experience with evidence of growing donors’ giving year-upon-year
- Experience in direct solicitation of major gifts from individual donors of $5,000+, or equivalent sales experience
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Strong time manager with demonstrated ability to be punctual
- Effective combination of being charismatic and people-oriented, detail-oriented, and direct enough to personally ask for large gifts
- Ability to exercise good judgment and discretion, take initiative and make recommendations in resolving problems and providing guidance to other staff
- Extensive experience with Windows-based word processing, spreadsheet, and e-mail applications (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Familiar with Tessitura or demonstrated ability to interact with CRM software and technology
- Excellent interpersonal, teamwork and diplomacy skills
- A demonstrated ability to meet fundraising goals and deadlines under pressure
- An ability to work flexible hours as necessary, including evenings and/or weekends for donor meetings or special events
- Demonstrated commitment to racial equity and social justice
- Five years of major gifts experience with evidence of growing donors’ giving year-upon-year
- Experience in direct solicitation of major gifts from individual donors of $25,000+, or equivalent sales experience
- Understanding of and interest in financial markets, wealth and asset management, and other areas of intersection that may influence giving
- Completion of fundraising certificate, undergraduate or graduate program, CFRE certification
- Experienced Tessitura user
- Knowledge of Seattle/Pacific Northwest private donor community preferred
- Passion for theater and/or the performing arts
TO BE CONSIDERED
- Submit a resume detailing related experience and education.
- Attach a cover letter that outlines how your related experience and education qualifies you for the position.
- All applications will be reviewed after the position closes.
- First round of interviews tentatively scheduled for the week of June 6-10, 2022
Seattle Rep has a mandatory vaccination policy for all employees, with accommodations for medical and religious exemptions only.
Contact email@example.com with any questions regarding the application process.